Fox 40 rc2 09 vs rockshox boxxer team 2010

PB Forum :: Downhill
Fox 40 rc2 09 vs rockshox boxxer team 2010
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 18:23 Quote
The Boxxer coils seem to be going through some growing pains, either as a result of manufacturer error or in-house design flaws. It's always nice to buy a $1200+ fork and even before you put it on your bike having to rebuild it. That along with the countless (well I guess 1 or 2) unsold fork recalls and supposedly Sram is working night and day on replacement parts for already sold forks (last I heard it was about the rebound adjustments). And, Esher Shore (on various sites, who is a part of Freeborn UK) according to "industry" sources, SRAM have actually frozen production on the 2010 Boxxer until the problems are solved.

I like my WC quite a bit, though I don't have 8in (only 7in) of travel which I'm hearing more and more people having an issue with.

So for the option of a fork that has now been refined and very good in the 40, I'd go for it over the coil Boxxer options for this year (wait until next when the problem/s is/are solved).

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 18:24 Quote
jetpilot wrote:
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
Which fork has more world cup podiums? I think that pretty much says everything.
How many podiums can a 2010 fork have?

Yeah and wouldnt all the pros that ride BoXXer use the world cups rather then the teams anyway. So the teams probably have close to no world cup podiums, but the world cups probably have a lot, and same with the 40's. But like someone already said: The best riders can win on any quality DH fork.
I really like my 40's, I love the stiffness and how they can plow through anything! But I havent tryed any of the new boxxers, so no comment on them.

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 at 12:14 Quote
Doridude wrote:
jetpilot wrote:
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
Which fork has more world cup podiums? I think that pretty much says everything.
How many podiums can a 2010 fork have?

Yeah and wouldnt all the pros that ride BoXXer use the world cups rather then the teams anyway. So the teams probably have close to no world cup podiums, but the world cups probably have a lot, and same with the 40's. But like someone already said: The best riders can win on any quality DH fork.
I really like my 40's, I love the stiffness and how they can plow through anything! But I havent tryed any of the new boxxers, so no comment on them.
i think you will find they use COIL (aka team) with wc lowers.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 10:34 Quote
My suggestion when you make these post is to FIRST ask what fork people currently have on their bike ... because we all know that 99% of the time, people are just going to tell you whatever fork in their own bike is the best!! Very rarely does anybody tell you the pros AND cons of the fork they are running.

Having said that, I run an 09 Fox 40RC2 ... never tried a new 2010 boxxer, but here is my opinion:

Fox 40 Pros:

1) Very plush .. I don't care what anybody says, air forks are NOT as plush as coil (my wife has been running a WC for years)

2) Dampener very improved in 2009 .. I rarely bottom the fork. Excellent ramp up at the end.

3) Super easy to work on. Anybody can change the oil and service the seals in these things ... err.. well most can.

4) The Fox 40 has been a continual refinement over the past 4 years. The internals are where your going to notice the difference, not in new fancy graphics outside. Having said that, they are very reliable now.

5) Super stiff. Stiffer than a 888 and likely much stiffer than a boxxer (40 mm stanchions vs. 35 mm)

6) The "LOOK" ...gotta admit, when those big 40mm stanchions roll up beside the much smaller 35mm, there is a bit of stanchion envy going on Smile

Fox 40 potential cons:

1) Although its easy to service, you need to do it lots. I change my oil and clean and lubricate foam rings and seals every 2 days of riding resorts. A bit overkill, but to keep that super plush addictive feeling, you need to service it frequently.

2) Bushings are not as tight as Boxxers. They are astonomically better than the 08+09 Marzocchi's (which I have owned), but the boxxer have very close tolerences for bushings. Fox is in the middle.

3) Expensive lowers to replace (if you have to) but that holds true for ANY fork.

4) Ti spring is stock for 150-180lb rider in 2009. If you are outside of this range, you will need to install a stiffer or lighter spring, BUT the ones included are STEEL and NOT Ti, so that means your adding almost 200 grams in weight. Not too big of an issue because there are lot of people who are willing to swap springs. It not too hard to find the proper spring rate in Ti on buy and sell ads or ebay.

So there you go. Do I like my Fox 40 .. absolutely!! Would I recommend it .. YES .. BUT only if your going to maintain it properly. Like anything high end, be it forks, girlfriends, etc... you might need to sink a lot of time and money in them to keep them working at top level.

Good luck. Basically, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice tup

PS ... and who the hell cares what "x" pro is riding. Its called "sponsorship" .. duh

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 10:37 Quote
mojoloz wrote:
]i think you will find they use COIL (aka team) with wc lowers.

They are all on World Cups. The only guy I know who used to run BoXXer Teams was Andrew Neethling...

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
vokes wrote:
My suggestion when you make these post is to FIRST ask what fork people currently have on their bike ... because we all know that 99% of the time, people are just going to tell you whatever fork in their own bike is the best!! Very rarely does anybody tell you the pros AND cons of the fork they are running.
*SNIP*

thank you for posting something thats actually helpful! best post i've seen in months Razz

Posted: Oct 24, 2009 at 15:08 Quote
i have ridern both forks and they are both brilliant its just i trust foxs reliability because my friend has new 2010 wc`s and he has had to get a new damper from rockshox and it took 3 month come and my 40`s have never browk i run them at no stupidly fast,slow or hard soft setting s and 40s are a littel more because there is more fork than boxxer wc 2010 because wcs are just standard dammper and 40s are a cartridge so ther is less to break , and the dual rebound is not needed on 40s because it is possition sensative witch means that the further up the stroke the slower the returning stroke is so ther is no need for "more adjustment" arguments. p.s 40s are a much stronger fork.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 15:12 Quote
dezim wrote:
vokes wrote:
*SNIP*

thank you for posting something thats actually helpful! best post i've seen in months Razz

yay 1st good thread ive done for along time

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 22:52 Quote
the boxxer gay get a 40 i had one it broke i traded it for a 40 the 40 asome

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 23:33 Quote
That's great reasoning right there.... But guess what? I swapped out my flawless boxxer for a 40 blew it up in 4 rides and what do ya know looks like I'm back on a boxxer for next season...Speak out of pros and cons here not it broke so it sucks.

Ryan

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 14:14 Quote
was it your bladder in the 40 because it only like 50$ to fix

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
bladder main seal on the top of the cartridge and bent the damping rod.

Ryan

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
did you fall because thats a feat

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 14:31 Quote
It was a bit of a harsh over jump but I put my boxxer through worse and the worst it had was a blown dust seal. Maybe my 40 was faulty I do not know but it felt great and was excelent for the time being but I liked my boxxer more in the end.

Ryan

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 at 4:26 Quote
boxxer team 2010 got more tuning option,, hi-lo compression, begin-end rebound & bottom out control ... i can say its a little stiff in low speed , but will react better in high speed ... as sram claim "this fork isn’t for those who live to ride. It’s for those who live to ride faster" ... people who are always want to go faster may love these boxxer.... and, as for 40, i think everybody loves them

--- just my 2 cents

i've been offered F40 2009 & Teams 2010 at the same price, i bought team
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019850
Mobile Version of Website