Powered by Outside

Full suspension help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Full suspension help
O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 8:49 Quote
Coiler I would think ist quite as slack in the headtube, but it decends well, and climbs. Really a great bike.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 8:50 Quote
All mountain brother. I like it.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 9:05 Quote
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
Ha ha, yeah but there is sort of a family of konas based off of the stinky. Anyway back to full suspension how much of a difference will it make if I blow 400 bucks on a new fox dhx or float rear shock?

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 9:14 Quote
One of the best suspension education web sites I have seen is on :

http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/

On the home page click on video ( if it does not auto load to that page ), then click on the ICT link then click on " explore ICT ".

It is an animated explanation of all suspension types and their individual function and efficiency...no opinions just straight science. You can select each type of suspension and maually controll the animation to see the energy loss in each style of suspension. ICT = # 1 , faux bar ( Kona ) # 2, FSR ( Specialized ) # 3 and VPP is the least efficient.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 12:21 Quote
PearlJamSoCal wrote:

On the home page click on video ( if it does not auto load to that page ), then click on the ICT link then click on " explore ICT ".

It is an animated explanation of all suspension types and their individual function and efficiency...no opinions just straight science. You can select each type of suspension and maually controll the animation to see the energy loss in each style of suspension. ICT = # 1 , faux bar ( Kona ) # 2, FSR ( Specialized ) # 3 and VPP is the least efficient.
Facepalm Well, at least some people believe marketing.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 12:31 Quote
PearlJamSoCal wrote:

haha well done for falling into their marketing trap and spreading it

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
sad but i miss my stinky more than my demo.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 13:11 Quote
stryke wrote:
PearlJamSoCal wrote:

All I said was that it was a good educational tool for someone trying to learn about suspension...never said it was the suspension bible and remember that animation is strictly referring to suspension efficiency not overall performance which we all know is complete personal preference vs. science.

Just curious though ...anyone that said I fell for marketing hype - do you have data to disprove the efficiency graph in that animation...or are you trying to pass your personal opinion off as fact ?

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 13:16 Quote
PearlJamSoCal wrote:
stryke wrote:
PearlJamSoCal wrote:

All I said was that it was a good educational tool for someone trying to learn about suspension...never said it was the suspension bible and remember that animation is strictly referring to suspension efficiency not overall performance which we all know is complete personal preference vs. science.

Just curious though ...anyone that said I fell for marketing hype - do you have data to disprove the efficiency graph in that animation...or are you trying to pass your personal opinion off as fact ?
Facepalm

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 13:32 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
PearlJamSoCal wrote:
stryke wrote:

Facepalm

LOL You ride a Kona... and appear to be a Transition fan...ummm you do realize that by slamming my post you are talkin' trash about your own favorite bikes !?

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 16:50 Quote
ICT is their design, of course they are going to "prove" it is the best for whatever they want.

That is all I am going to add, I have nothing else to say so bash away if you please.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
PearlJamSoCal wrote:

tell me what "potential energy loss" is, how it's measured, and why they decided to only display that one aspect of the bikes, and then i'll give you some real facts.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 20:25 Quote
marquis wrote:
I'd have to guess because it is lighter and more versatile?

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 20:26 Quote
louiscritchie wrote:
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
Ha ha, yeah but there is sort of a family of konas based off of the stinky. Anyway back to full suspension how much of a difference will it make if I blow 400 bucks on a new fox dhx or float rear shock?

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 3:02 Quote
louiscritchie wrote:
marquis wrote:
I'd have to guess because it is lighter and more versatile?

oh sorry i should of explained why.

the 1.5 headtube on the demo was far better but the stinky was less complicated and had a stiffer suspension feel overall the shock on the stinky was more accesible too,the demo also has a 6mm offset rear wheel and although it benefits the rear wheel by making it stronger it was a faff trying to get a wheel builder to do the job right.

the stinky frame also used thicker walled tubing so would maybe not dent as easy.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.592005
Mobile Version of Website