Powered by Outside

2010 Glory 00 Build Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2010 Glory 00 Build Thread
O+ FL
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
no I like the big fatty tire up front. the Giant mechanic recommended a 2.7-2.8 tire up front anyway

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 10:50 Quote
Thats awesome, keep the 721's though, uberlight rims just arent worth the pain

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 10:55 Quote
2.7"! i dont think anyone has used those things for about 5 years

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
haha well maybe in your hometown they don't but I do and a few other people I know do also. I dont see the problem with it its great for cornering. And yes ill keep my mavic and get a new hub for sure...just cheaper and more convienant for me

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 18:32 Quote
Jeanie wrote:
Cons
Very expensive
alu proprietary spokes are impossible to come by, need to carry many spares while on a trip or if something happens to your wheels your f*cked

Spokes cost around $9 each
have more drag than most hubs cause of so many engagement points
i9s come with extra spokes. Unless you're spoke-snappy alllll the time, you'll probably be good for a while unless you fail.

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 20:26 Quote
The only reason I mentionned that is because my buddy had a set of I9 wheels and only had the few spares they come with, and we were at an O-cup race for the weekend, when he smashed his derailleur off a rock and it went into his spokes. Destroyed way more spokes than he had spares for, and no shops had them obviously. So, he had to buy a new rear wheel to do the race, but if he had normal spokes he would have only had to spend 10-15 bucks on new spokes from any shop. It's not something that happens often, but it's still worth taking into consideration.

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 20:34 Quote
Although that is a sick build, I think the 10' Glory's are ugly as shit. The 09 is amazing, deffinetly buying one of thoose.

Mod
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 20:36 Quote
Sapim CX-Ray are probably just as light if not lighter than I9's spokes.

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 4:07 Quote
ThirstyBeaver wrote:
Although that is a sick build, I think the 10' Glory's are ugly as shit. The 09 is amazing, deffinetly buying one of thoose.

I'd agree with you, looks like they're trying to copy trek, but haven't been able to keep it looking sweet

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 4:59 Quote
still a sick build though

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 5:47 Quote
fortbill wrote:
I'd agree with you, looks like they're trying to copy trek, but haven't been able to keep it looking sweet

Man give me your dealer's number cause that's some mighty strong stuff you're smoking. These bikes are a lot sleeker than the original Glory. Funny fact is trying to copy Trek would only lead Giant into a world of underspecced overpriced crap.

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 6:21 Quote
Hey Ryan, I saw your bike at the shop when I brought mine in on Friday, looks awesome man. I'll be in again this week so I will check out your latest updates.

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 6:52 Quote
m47h13u wrote:
fortbill wrote:

Man give me your dealer's number cause that's some mighty strong stuff you're smoking. These bikes are a lot sleeker than the original Glory. Funny fact is trying to copy Trek would only lead Giant into a world of underspecced overpriced crap.

yes, these bikes are sleeker than the original glorys, i was meaning they don't look as good as the session 88. Under specced, over priced crap? you obviously haven't ridden the new fuel ex's, remedys, sessions or scratches. or even read any reviews. I suggest you ride one, see how a bike should ride. and Overpriced? Session 88 in the uk last year £3500 then £3800, for a bike with Sram x0, elixer cr's, dhx 5.0, 40's saint crankset and weighs 38lbs stock, thats pretty good value if you ask me.

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 7:38 Quote
I don't think they are trying to copy Trek. The Session 88 is basically a single pivot bike with that cool rear brake set-up which is the guts of Trek's full suspension bikes. The Glory has the Maestro link and looks more like a Sunday than a Session. Giant builds Trek's bikes for them, sure they don't engineer Trek bikes but Giant is the biggest bike manufacturer on the planet. They keep the prices down because they don't spend a ton of money on fancy advertising hype. They just make great bikes, period!

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 7:43 Quote
It might look like a single pivot, but it's not. The shock mount is mounted on the chainstay that extends past the pivot, not on the frame.
You need to stop quoting things directly from the DH/4X thread and re-posting it in other places. What people mean to say when they say that Giant is trying to copy Trek is that Giant used to make really beast, overweight bikes. Trek came out with a crazy light DH bike. Giant came out with a super crazy DH bike. Therefore, for some people, Giant copied Trek.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016003
Mobile Version of Website