Chromag Stylus Requesting Input, Ideas, & Recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Chromag Stylus Requesting Input, Ideas, & Recommendations
Posted: Jun 29, 2021 at 5:01 Quote
Have you tried with one chain link more?
I have mentioned that few pages ago, I had this issue with not being able to reach the proper B-gap on a shimano 12s transmission and adding one link did the trick. It was for another frame though

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
Hi all,

I am running a 2017 Chromag Stylus on 26+, just curious if anyone has ridden one with 27.5 front, 26 rear. Any feedback you all have would be cool, thanks.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 2:28 Quote
I posted one of these on a different thread without realizing there was a stylus thread. Just finished this build not to long ago.
photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 22:13 Quote
I put a lyric ultimate on my stylus after the CSU broke on the pike. What a world of difference it makes to have a stiffer and more supportive fork. Because is came off a transition patrol though the fork is set up to 170mm travel with a 38 offset but this actually better preserves the geo I think. HTA is now 63.5, reach is a tad shorter 460-465, and BB might be a bit higher but all that is negligible and the wheelbase is more or less the same.

Also cut my bars from 800 to 780mm, what was I thinking having 800mm bars lol. I am 182cm tall with a positive ape index and still those bars were hard to engage with.

Gotta say I am in love with the hardtail and all it can do. Double black steep loam to rocky tech its got your back man.

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 21:09 Quote
Rgdelgadillo wrote:
Hi all,

I am running a 2017 Chromag Stylus on 26+, just curious if anyone has ridden one with 27.5 front, 26 rear. Any feedback you all have would be cool, thanks.

I had a 2016 with 27.5/26 mixed wheels on 2.4” tires. Rode a bit too sloppy at 160mm travel. Went down to 150mm and it was great.
Strangest part about mullet hardtails is climbing and low speed tech. Sometimes you’ll roll over a rock or root easy with the front and your back tire hangs up unexpectedly and tries to dump you into the bars. You get used to it though.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 16:49 Quote
That red stylus is so sick! What bars are those?

I am 6'3 so tried to get a bit more stack by lifting the fork to 170 - it ended up going up to 180, and as someone below mentioned, it feels a bit sloppy and disconnected. Am going to try some air shafts i've got lying around and get it back down.

photo

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 16:50 Quote
monsieurgage wrote:
I put a lyric ultimate on my stylus after the CSU broke on the pike. What a world of difference it makes to have a stiffer and more supportive fork. Because is came off a transition patrol though the fork is set up to 170mm travel with a 38 offset but this actually better preserves the geo I think. HTA is now 63.5, reach is a tad shorter 460-465, and BB might be a bit higher but all that is negligible and the wheelbase is more or less the same.

Also cut my bars from 800 to 780mm, what was I thinking having 800mm bars lol. I am 182cm tall with a positive ape index and still those bars were hard to engage with.

Gotta say I am in love with the hardtail and all it can do. Double black steep loam to rocky tech its got your back man.

I've cut mine down to 760, and although i have 800 on a big bike, 760 just feels really nice and agile for this bike, and i'm 192cm.

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 3:29 Quote
Tyre width: What’s your favourite width for your 650b Chromag: 2.4, 2.5 or 2.6?

I’ve got a Wideangle than can take max 2.6 but unsure what option to go for. Currently running on some old school 2.3 Maxxis but keen for some more cushioning.

Also - is Cushcore worth the hassle?

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 15:41 Quote
I've run both 2.6s and 2.5 /2.4's.
My favorite for aggressive riding is the 2.4s (2.5 dhf up front).
The 2.6s are fun and give the bike a slightly plusher ride as expected, and make it more playful. The 2.4s make it a precision instrument. A scalpel.
I don't run inserts, so no comment on that.

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 15:56 Quote
JaxMustang50 wrote:
I've run both 2.6s and 2.5 /2.4's.
My favorite for aggressive riding is the 2.4s (2.5 dhf up front).
The 2.6s are fun and give the bike a slightly plusher ride as expected, and make it more playful. The 2.4s make it a precision instrument. A scalpel.
I don't run inserts, so no comment on that.

Amen.

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2023 at 17:44 Quote
photo

Thought id try and revive the thread a bit with my build. My frame is raw set up with a 170mm DVO diamond D1, Hayes Dominion A4 brakes and Maxxis DHF/DHRII. This bike RIPS my home trails in BC.

Posted: Jul 20, 2023 at 17:17 Quote
That looks amazing, love the red accents. Like yours I've recently put on DD tyres.

I've gone from 2.6 hans dampf tanwalls in the picture above, to 2.4(?) dissector rear and DHR front. At first I found them alot draggier then the 2.6s and felt like I had lost some pep, but now I'm used to them and really like the extra stability and strength they provide.

Still love this bike, it's on it's third build since buying in 2019 and I don't think i'll ever sell it. It's a great ride to have alongside a 29er ebike which really sucks on quality lower grade singletrack.

Posted: Aug 10, 2023 at 13:16 Quote
Of all the colors, I wish I had the raw. That looks amazing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015091
Mobile Version of Website