Powered by Outside

Official Squamish Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Squamish Thread
O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2023 at 12:48 Quote
If Anyone found a set of new Smith Squad goggs' in the parking lot the Bottom of Half Nelson with a Red Chromapop Lense on Jul 19th... Enjoy the new goggles due to my stupidity.

Protip: dont put shit on top of your car.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2023 at 22:53 Quote
Hey all,

Visiting Squamish for the first time and looking at booking some shuttles with the Squamish Shred Shuttle on diamondhead in a few weeks time.
Just trying to gauge how many shuttles to book...

We want to check out the main descents, Medow of the grizzly into Pseudo Tsuga, free the speedos, half nelson to airplane mode, Ditch pig, angry midget etc...

Is it feasible to get back to the pickup in an hour after each of those runs to make each shuttle? Or should we be looking at booking every second shuttle?

Posted: Jul 27, 2023 at 6:26 Quote
gpmcg wrote:
Hey all,

Visiting Squamish for the first time and looking at booking some shuttles with the Squamish Shred Shuttle on diamondhead in a few weeks time.
Just trying to gauge how many shuttles to book...

We want to check out the main descents, Medow of the grizzly into Pseudo Tsuga, free the speedos, half nelson to airplane mode, Ditch pig, angry midget etc...

Is it feasible to get back to the pickup in an hour after each of those runs to make each shuttle? Or should we be looking at booking every second shuttle?
That's a tough call. Two hours is way too long for each lap, but an hour might be tight and you might feel too rushed to properly stop and check features out, session, etc.

Also, Meadow of the Grizzlies is a waste of elevation IMO. Not as bad if you don't have to pedal up, but I've done it a couple times and it is just a bunch of berms that dump elevation really quickly...not the best maintained and minimal features. Only worth it if you are specifically seeking out blue flow.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2023 at 15:22 Quote
Meadow sucks (sorry Joyride, I blame the terrain not you guys). Free Radicals organized a ton of work on 19th Hole but looks like it's still closed unfortunately. See if you can hook up with some locals on the shuttle to show you around the top of Diamondhead. Laps under an hour are totally doable if you are going straight down, if you are exploring/traversing or sessioning it will take longer but not 2h.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2023 at 8:21 Quote
A bit late, but I finally got around to looking at my photos from the Squamish Enduro. Most aren't all that good, but I've got one or two that I think the riders might want, none of whom I know. What's the ethic of posting pics from a race w/o permission if I'm hoping to let riders who want a copy have access?

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2023 at 2:51 Quote
@gramboh @scotteh

Cheers for the infos

We're looking to pretty much avoid climbing on the shuttle day, so maybe punching runs straight to the shuttle might work.... Or maybe we'll book every second shuttle to allow some exploring time

How long will 19th hole be shut? We're about 3 weeks away from being there. Is the only other option from the shuttle drop off grizzly?

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2023 at 11:22 Quote
gpmcg wrote:
@gramboh @scotteh

Cheers for the infos

We're looking to pretty much avoid climbing on the shuttle day, so maybe punching runs straight to the shuttle might work.... Or maybe we'll book every second shuttle to allow some exploring time

How long will 19th hole be shut? We're about 3 weeks away from being there. Is the only other option from the shuttle drop off grizzly?

It looks like 19th is open, Remy has a video down it from a few weeks ago (the one with the 58 year old Aussie shredder). Trailforks just hasn't been updated, but take a look to see what kind of trail it is, super fun. You can also ride Cakewalk which is excellent after the Dream Wizards rebuild. There may be other stuff up there as well, try to chat up some locals on the shuttle to see.

Posted: Aug 5, 2023 at 18:09 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Meadow sucks (sorry Joyride, I blame the terrain not you guys). Free Radicals organized a ton of work on 19th Hole but looks like it's still closed unfortunately. See if you can hook up with some locals on the shuttle to show you around the top of Diamondhead. Laps under an hour are totally doable if you are going straight down, if you are exploring/traversing or sessioning it will take longer but not 2h.

Sometimes a trail sucks because of the building of the trail... and sometimes there's just nothing you can do with the terrain.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2023 at 8:22 Quote
Sun2306 wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Sometimes a trail sucks because of the building of the trail... and sometimes there's just nothing you can do with the terrain.

Interesting to force a trail where the terrain sucks then. I have never ridden meadow so I can't really say much, but it seems most people don't enjoy it, so it's a bit strange that they HAD to build a trail down there, I'm sure there was a reason though.

Posted: Aug 10, 2023 at 9:06 Quote
The terrain isn’t the problem. Tons of potential there. It’s just featureless.

Posted: Aug 10, 2023 at 16:25 Quote
Or, rather, trying to build a blue trail in (essentially) non-blue trail terrain.

Posted: Aug 12, 2023 at 19:34 Quote
scotteh wrote:

The terrain is 100% the problem. That entire slope is bed rock just under the surface from lava flow. They blew the entire budget for the trail chiseling rock.

Posted: Aug 13, 2023 at 19:31 Quote
mattboltz wrote:
scotteh wrote:

The terrain is 100% the problem. That entire slope is bed rock just under the surface from lava flow. They blew the entire budget for the trail chiseling rock.
Fair point - I should have been more precise in my wording. I meant terrain more in terms of gradient. A trail blessed with the elevation profile of MotG (450m drop over 2.7km) should be fun as hell.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 10:10 Quote
How is Squamish riding in September? (dry, wet, varies, busy, empty) Can you book a Shuttle the day of or do they book way in advance? Looking for some advice from locals. Cheers

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2024 at 15:47 Quote
BornOnTwo wrote:
How is Squamish riding in September? (dry, wet, varies, busy, empty) Can you book a Shuttle the day of or do they book way in advance? Looking for some advice from locals. Cheers

Weather can vary but should be good in September ie not winter rain and not too hot. I've only ever ridden the shuttle once and it was empty - and that was Canada Day long weekend. It was an impulse buy when I got to the bottom lot. If you book a shuttle and don't make it (if you took longer on a lap than expected or got lost) I am sure they would just get you on the next one - unless it was totally booked in advance. I'm pretty sure that, by September, they will only be running on weekends.

If you do just decide on jumping in when you get there, they don't take cash - I had to book online and just show the payment confirmation to the driver.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011013
Mobile Version of Website