Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Apr 2, 2022 at 23:51 Quote
spyker1324 wrote:
I haven’t ridden in almost 5 or so years and I’m looking to rebuild my bike, or buy a used bike. It seems like bike tech has evolved since I last was in the know (like 10 years ago), so I was hoping for some help. Seems like 27.5 is the new thing.

This was my bike. Only complaint I had about that bike was the front fork being so heavy. I sold the bike, the buyer returned the frame since he had no need. So, I have a frame and almost no clue where to start.

I’m looking to keep this under $1000, and I’m game to either rebuild my bike, or buy something used/new.

I prefer to go for flowier riding at jumpy flowy, downhill, and trail riding. I’m looking for more heavy duty I think. 29ers and big frames sound awful to me, I’m more for slack headtubes, big tires and fun.

Help me begin? Is it worth rebuilding, or buying something in the classifieds? What types of bikes am I looking at, parts, search terms? THank you for any advice you can share.

Hey!

First word of advice is to go to your local shop - and just try some bikes out. 29er bikes, 27.5 bikes, big bikes, and small bikes! 29ers and big bikes are going to feel way more stable and controled, while a 27.5 bike will be more playful and "fun". Having formerly owned an older Specialized P series, I would probably steer away from building that up, as it may be more limiting in terms of components and weight.

If you want a climbable bike, go for 29... however if you're only going to be doing flow and jumps and stuff, go for those 27.5's! As for components, I would start by either finding the right bike, or frame, and working from there! Remember though, you can never go wrong test riding at your local shop, even if the bike is out of your budget or the technology is not what you think you want -bikes are expensive so it's crucial you know you're getting the right one!

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any further questions; either here or in PMs!

Cheers

Posted: Apr 3, 2022 at 4:31 Quote
marinshredder wrote:
spyker1324 wrote:
I haven’t ridden in almost 5 or so years and I’m looking to rebuild my bike, or buy a used bike. It seems like bike tech has evolved since I last was in the know (like 10 years ago), so I was hoping for some help. Seems like 27.5 is the new thing.

This was my bike. Only complaint I had about that bike was the front fork being so heavy. I sold the bike, the buyer returned the frame since he had no need. So, I have a frame and almost no clue where to start.

I’m looking to keep this under $1000, and I’m game to either rebuild my bike, or buy something used/new.

I prefer to go for flowier riding at jumpy flowy, downhill, and trail riding. I’m looking for more heavy duty I think. 29ers and big frames sound awful to me, I’m more for slack headtubes, big tires and fun.

Help me begin? Is it worth rebuilding, or buying something in the classifieds? What types of bikes am I looking at, parts, search terms? THank you for any advice you can share.

Hey!

First word of advice is to go to your local shop - and just try some bikes out. 29er bikes, 27.5 bikes, big bikes, and small bikes! 29ers and big bikes are going to feel way more stable and controled, while a 27.5 bike will be more playful and "fun". Having formerly owned an older Specialized P series, I would probably steer away from building that up, as it may be more limiting in terms of components and weight.

If you want a climbable bike, go for 29... however if you're only going to be doing flow and jumps and stuff, go for those 27.5's! As for components, I would start by either finding the right bike, or frame, and working from there! Remember though, you can never go wrong test riding at your local shop, even if the bike is out of your budget or the technology is not what you think you want -bikes are expensive so it's crucial you know you're getting the right one!

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any further questions; either here or in PMs!

Cheers

And if looking at used bikes on Pinkbikes,Use the filters for 27.5 or 29, your size frame, travel, max price, etc.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
Hey everyone! Joined hoping to find some recommendations on an entry-level mountain bike. Money isn't super important, but ideally I'd want to start on the entry-level and work my way up. With that in mind, I'd like to stay under $2,000USD. I'm fine with spending few hundred dollars more for a dropper or whatever, but I'd like to be pretty much done at that price to start, with the intention of upgrading parts/bikes in the future. I'm pretty new to MTBing, and would appreciate any input or suggestions.

I'll be doing fire trails, single and double tracks, a few parks, but nothing too extreme. I don't see myself doing crazy drops or anything requiring an enduro bike. I just want a capable trail bike thats a little overbuilt in the event I travel somewhere that has a greater terrain demand.

With that in mind, I have a few questions....

1) Is is better to buy a lower-end full-suspension bike and upgrade brakes and a dropper or to stick to a better-equipped hard-tail with more bang-for-buck out of the gate?

2) Major bike-shop brand or Direct-to-Consumer? There are some great DtC brands out there, but I'm interested to hear opinions on DtC bikes for beginners, especially when it comes to shop maintenance.

ETA: 3) Used vs New?

After spending far too much time on Youtube, Reddit, and here I've come across the following and would appreciate suggestions regarding this list of potential bikes, additions to the list, or bikes to stay away from.

So far... Vitus Sentier VR, Canyon Grand Canyon 8 & 6, Giant Fathom 2, Canyon Stoic 2 & 4, Marin Rift Zone 1 or 2, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Trek X-Caliber 9, Salsa Timberjack, Vitus Mythique VR, Norco Fluid FS3, Fezzari Abajo, & Giant Trance 29 3 (used), ETA: Rocky Mountain Growler

I know this is a long post, but thank yall for your patience and help.

Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 18:26 Quote
Of the ones you listed I prefer the Rocky Mountain Growler. If you want the periodic hassle and expense of also having to service the rear shock in addition to the fork and pivots get the Giant used.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 18:56 Quote
gabe999 wrote:
Of the ones you listed I prefer the Rocky Mountain Growler. If you want the periodic hassle and expense of also having to service the rear shock in addition to the fork and pivots get the Giant used.

Thanks! Been watching and reading since I posted and I think I've also settled on the Growler. Seems to have everything I want for the money. I think its between the Growler or Stoic 4, but there is a RMB dealer near me, and it'd be nice to have a LBS relationship.

Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 19:29 Quote
If you’re just getting into the sport I would recommend trying to buy new from a local dealer. That way you have a warranty and a relationship with a physical shop.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 6:17 Quote
Nobble wrote:
If you’re just getting into the sport I would recommend trying to buy new from a local dealer. That way you have a warranty and a relationship with a physical shop.

Thanks! That was my thought as well. I came across a Orbea Full Suspension in decent shape that has caught my attention for $1,800, but a shop relationship would be super nice and I love the look of the Growler.

Thoughts on the Full Suspension Orbea Occam 29er with Fox 32 Float Front fork, Trans x Dropper, XT brakes, SLX cranks and derailleur, Chromag cutless carbon handlebars, Raceface chester pedals, ergon grips, that was serviced tuned last month? Seems a little too good to be true, no?

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
JustAnotherCyclePath wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Thanks! That was my thought as well. I came across a Orbea Full Suspension in decent shape that has caught my attention for $1,800, but a shop relationship would be super nice and I love the look of the Growler.

Thoughts on the Full Suspension Orbea Occam 29er with Fox 32 Float Front fork, Trans x Dropper, XT brakes, SLX cranks and derailleur, Chromag cutless carbon handlebars, Raceface chester pedals, ergon grips, that was serviced tuned last month? Seems a little too good to be true, no?

Maybe I'm old school but Hard Tail should be considered if you're starting from scratch, worth considering!

I can't offer much as far as component quality advice, haven't used much besides cheaper stuff, as long as you know your bike, a little maintenance goes a long way.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 9:47 Quote
[/Quote]

Maybe I'm old school but Hard Tail should be considered if you're starting from scratch, worth considering!

I can't offer much as far as component quality advice, haven't used much besides cheaper stuff, as long as you know your bike, a little maintenance goes a long way.[/Quote]

I apprecaite the input. I've reached out to my LBS that carries Rocky Mountain. They've got one coming in towards the end of summer. Going to stick with my electric bike and paved roads for now.

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 16:41 Quote
Hey everyone,

I am in the market for my first "real" mtb. I have a 2k budget, I am located around the Calgary area in Canada so that 2k is in CAD. I am 5'11, 190lbs, 32" inseam, so I am guessing a large frame would be best. I have been browsing the forums/kijiji/fb but it seems used bikes have a big covid tax, or they might not, but a 6-10yr old bike for close to msrp doesn't seem right to me. Being a newbie, I am not sure what to get as there are so many choices. I seen this one: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3298214/ but am not sure if it is a good deal. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 18:04 Quote
Seems pretty good to me. There’s already 6 people who put it on their watchlist which means they are strongly considering it. Pinkbike buyers often take forever to make up their mind. He is open to offers so shoot him one close to that now.

Posted: Apr 9, 2022 at 8:59 Quote
Hi guys! I'm looking to get my first real MTB. I'm looking to get a hardtail. I currently only have my daily commuter which is a Kona Dew (alu frame, steel rigid fork, v-brakes). And besides my (all year round) commute, I also use it for road riding, mountain biking, light bikepacking with a saddle bag...

Stuff I dislike on my current bike:
- narrow tires (700x40) with not much grip
- ride gets bumpy even on gravel
- with a saddle bag full, bike looses a lot of stability.

Stuff I would like to do on my new bike:
- singletrack and doubletrack but in a chill manner
- completely offroad into the forest but not going wild
- exploring
- light bikepacking (no cross-continent overnighters, just daily trips so I would use my 13l saddle bag)

Stuff I don't have any intention of doing:
- racing and going really fast
- doing huge jumps

So, could someone recommend me a bike that would fit my needs? I mean, yeah, I could probably walk into any store and get any mountain bike and it would be better than my current setup, but I would really like to have a decent bike that would last me years.

I kind of narrowed it down to Kona Big Honzo ($1220) or Trek Roscoe 6 ($1260). Both are 27.5+ but feel free to convince me I'm wrong about looking into that tire sizes or geometry. I know nothing about that. I just figured I would probably enjoy wider tires. Kona Unit X seems interesting, something like a more stable version of my bike with fatter tires but it's $1450 and currently only available in XL. And I think I would probably like to have a suspension fork, I'm in my late 30s. I don't mind going the used bike road, but since I live in a small European country options are limited.

BTW, I'm 6' tall.

Let's say that $1260 is the most I would be willing to pay but if you convince me maybe I could pump that budged a little. Surly, Salsa and Santa Cruz are not available here where I live. Only more mainstream stuff like Trek, Kona, Marin (but Pine Mountain models are not available), Cube, Ghost, Rocky Mountain (but Growler is available only as a 26''), Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Norco, some Jamis models, Giant, Orbea; Polygon, GT...

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
Norco Search XR flatbar. Double check, but I'll bet you can fit a 45c tire, run tubeless at 30-40psi for more comfort. Flat bar for easy control, and it's a gravel bike, so perfectly suited to your needs IMO.

Posted: Apr 9, 2022 at 15:38 Quote
I checked but that model is not available here. But I already have something similar with 700x40 tires (not tubeless) and hating bumpy rides even on gravel. And I like to take my bike to levees, forests, meadows... If I had to choose one bike to have, I would probably get Kona Rove AL 650 or Marin Four Corners, but since I'm leaving Kona Dew for my everyday rides, I'm looking for something more offroad (for the weekends).

Posted: Apr 12, 2022 at 11:25 Quote
Hey everyone,

Road cyclist looking to branch off into the world of mountain biking. Still don't quite think I've grasped all the styles and stuff like that, but I've done some research and think I have a good starting point for my budget.

I'm not looking to spend more than $2k on a bike right now. I think, based on reading, a hardtail 29er is what I'm looking for. Granted it's crazy trying to find a bike right now, be it these are what I've come up with:

Vitus Sentier 29 VR
Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp
Trek Roscoe 7
Marin San Quentin 2
Cannondale Trail SE 3

I'm 35, will do most riding in Wisconsin, am 6'3" and about 185 lbs, if that helps with any recommendations.

Also, what's the consensus on buying a first bike online? I know when I bought my road bike I was hesitant to do so, but the only two on that list I could probably find around me are the Trek (I love in their backyard) and the Cannondale at an REI.

All tips and help are appreciated.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014667
Mobile Version of Website