Powered by Outside

Cracked YT Capra

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 at 19:39 Quote
Update: It seems that they sent the fork back a week ago, but I didn't receive any emails. I just got a message yesterday from the delivery service that they tried to deliver.

So, long story short: sent the fork on 18 Jul and got it back on 27 Sep. 71 days total waiting time including shipping (3 weeks)

Cheers!

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 0:53 Quote
Hello there,
I see a lot of crack on carbon frame but anyone had issues with the Al version of capra?

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 0:12 Quote
kosumo wrote:
Hello there,
I see a lot of crack on carbon frame but anyone had issues with the Al version of capra?
I have the same question, is the Al version better?

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 1:15 Quote
I have my AL Capra now two seasons and used in also in many bikeparks, dh tracks: no issues at all.

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 4:26 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
eastcoasthammerhead wrote:
Has anyone had issues with the front triangle cracking? My downtube blew apart right where the bridge that holds the rocker link connects. No crash or rock strike involved. Landed a relatively small step down and felt the frame buckle. When I looked it over when I got home I found the cracks.
photo
photo

That is shocking.... If that didn't get caused by an impact, then it must be very thin carbon there? As it isn't a highly stressed area at all. Get it back to YT and update us on what they say...
any updates on that?

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 9:20 Quote
Has anyone had issues with the front triangle cracking? My downtube blew apart right where the bridge that holds the rocker link connects. No crash or rock strike involved. Landed a relatively small step down and felt the frame buckle. When I looked it over when I got home I found the cracks.
photo
photo

How did this eneded? give us some feedback!!

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 6:53 Quote
Long story short: YT decided that I must have hit a rock (with that kind of damage you would think I would have noticed that happening) and offered me crash replacement. Needless to say I told them no thanks and went with a different brand. You would think that a company that claims to go above and beyond with their warranties and take care of their riders would do better than that.
I'll upload the emails later.

Te-remoto wrote:
photo
photo

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 7:18 Quote
-edit-

wrong thread sorry

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 8:50 Quote
Long story short: YT decided that I must have hit a rock (with that kind of damage you would think I would have noticed that happening) and offered me crash replacement. Needless to say I told them no thanks and went with a different brand. You would think that a company that claims to go above and beyond with their warranties and take care of their riders would do better than that.

Te-remoto wrote:
photo
photo

That sucks, surely the protective frame tape would give you the answer?

If you struck something with the frame then the frame tape would show some sign of damage, if it was the carbon failing under stress then all of the particles from the failure would be under the tape and the tape wouldn't be damaged as it is vinyl and can stretch somewhat before tearing, did they physically inspect the frame?

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2017 at 15:55 Quote
The photo below was taken prior to removing the frame tape.
broken yt
I don't see any obvious damage to the frame tape around where the second crack is. If I remember correctly a bunch of the paint came off with the tape when I removed it.
I did send the frame back to YT for inspection. They cut it apart and looked for voids in the layup. Apparently they didn't find any so they claim it wasn't a manufacturing issue.

LUCKYMULLEN wrote:

Te-remoto wrote:

That sucks, surely the protective frame tape would give you the answer?

If you struck something with the frame then the frame tape would show some sign of damage, if it was the carbon failing under stress then all of the particles from the failure would be under the tape and the tape wouldn't be damaged as it is vinyl and can stretch somewhat before tearing, did they physically inspect the frame?

Posted: Apr 14, 2017 at 0:08 Quote
Man, gutted for you, I would be just as pissed off if that had happened to me and sending out a new front end surely wouldnt have broken the bank at YT.

Posted: Apr 14, 2017 at 8:58 Quote
Sh1t...sorry to hear this! Makes you feel sick for sure! Two of my mates ride a Capra (one of them treats it quite badly) and never had an issue. Only ever heard good things about their customer service tho! Carbon is dangerous specially in the UK (depending on where you ride)!? This is why I always ride Ti! Good luck

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2017 at 9:58 Quote
Thanks man, It's not the end of the world. I'm riding a Transition now and love it. The reality is that equipment breaks, that doesn't really bother me it's the way that the US branch of YT handled it that does. Who knows, I've got a couple of buddies that ride Capras and love them, mine was probably an isolated incident.

LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
Man, gutted for you, I would be just as pissed off if that had happened to me and sending out a new front end surely wouldnt have broken the bank at YT.

Posted: Jul 2, 2017 at 13:31 Quote
Thanks man, It's not the end of the world. I'm riding a Transition now and love it. The reality is that equipment breaks, that doesn't really bother me it's the way that the US branch of YT handled it that does. Who knows, I've got a couple of buddies that ride Capras and love them, mine was probably an isolated incident.

LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
What they said when you refused the crash replacement ? Did they send you the frame with an hole ??

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026192
Mobile Version of Website