Powered by Outside

Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 15:42 Quote
Hello PB members,

I'm not a total newbie, but I figured this might be the best place to ask for some help. I have two small children that I want to haul around in a trailer / carrier attached to the back of a bike. What type of bike style, or design would I be looking for that would be best suited for me hauling them around town, but I could also take out on my own for just general cardio on my own, or possibly have some mountain biking capabilities?

Any recommendations on types of carries would be welcomed as well. Thank you.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 11:07 Quote
Hi there

I need some help choosing which bike to buy there is two in my location the first bike is a giant fathom 2 (27.5) and second bike is a Kona Honzo (29er) both bikes are large size I am 6 foot tall 300lb I used to ride BMX back in the day and ride bikes all over the city was really comfortable riding doing jumps etc nothing crazy tho lol Both bikes are from the dealers

Thanks for any help

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 3:20 Quote
Hi i wana buy new bike but in mine country there isnt to much option for my size, so u wonder will cannondale jekyll 2 2018 size l fit for me who is 193cm height

Posted: Jun 17, 2022 at 8:28 Quote
Hi everyone! I am new to mountain biking and I need to get a bike. My local mountain has enduro trails built, and I am currently riding my sisters Ragely Marley until she heals up from injury. I would definitely appreciate any help on the subject!

I am about 5'3 and 150 lbs, looking for a hardtail bike that has an enduro type of style.

My budget is around $1,500, and I will purchase new or used, as long as it is in good condition.

I can ride a medium frame but I am also interested in slightly larger frames so I would go up to a large max. Preferrably aluminum/steel frame material as well due to durability.

Let me know if you have any advice - for bike purchasing, trail riding advice, or just any advice you would give to a new rider. Thanks!

Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 6:42 Quote
I would look at getting the highest spec that you can afford of the Commencal Hardtail

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 14:06 Quote
skelsch wrote:
Hi everyone! I am new to mountain biking and I need to get a bike. My local mountain has enduro trails built, and I am currently riding my sisters Ragely Marley until she heals up from injury. I would definitely appreciate any help on the subject!

I am about 5'3 and 150 lbs, looking for a hardtail bike that has an enduro type of style.

My budget is around $1,500, and I will purchase new or used, as long as it is in good condition.

I can ride a medium frame but I am also interested in slightly larger frames so I would go up to a large max. Preferrably aluminum/steel frame material as well due to durability.

Let me know if you have any advice - for bike purchasing, trail riding advice, or just any advice you would give to a new rider. Thanks!

A Ragley Mmmbop would be a good option. You might find used for $1500. its More aggressive than the Marley to handle steeper downhills. Commencal MetaHT Nukeproof Scout, Canyon Stoic are decent options. I wouldnt recommend going up in size since it usually has a longer seat tube which limits your dropper length.

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
Hi everyone. Totally new to MTB-ing. Rode once at Whistler downhill and LOVE it so wanna own a bike and continue riding.

Planning to visit local bike parks and local mountains mostly, Whistler couple times a year starting next year. Thinking to get XC/Eudora but opened to suggestion.

I am 170cm and 65kg, trying to keep budget under CAD$2000 for the bike.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 14:20 Quote
celictam wrote:
Hi everyone. Totally new to MTB-ing. Rode once at Whistler downhill and LOVE it so wanna own a bike and continue riding.

Planning to visit local bike parks and local mountains mostly, Whistler couple times a year starting next year. Thinking to get XC/Eudora but opened to suggestion.

Look into buying used if that is your budget. Find a 2014-2018 140mm FS trail bike, so you can ride everything. check the buy and sell!

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
marlon-d wrote:
celictam wrote:

Look into buying used if that is your budget. Find a 2014-2018 140mm FS trail bike, so you can ride everything. check the buy and sell!

I would second this advice but probably say the newer the better. I'd be looking at 2016+ if possible due to the advantage of modern geometry. If you do go the used route the value for money should be much better. Be sure to take someone who knows about bikes with you to check it over and point out any potential issues.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:40 Quote
HI all. Noobi here looking to get into the sport of MTBiking. wondering what bike I should get. a little info.. I'm 5'9'' with 29" inseam, kinda long arms, age 58. yeah I'm an old guy. used to race BMX when in my teens, Late 70's early 80's. did trail riding on dirt bikes early to mid 2000's. me and my oldest son (age 30) want to start riding local bike trails and do some destination downhill riding here in Michigan. any advice would be appreciated. id like to start out on a small budget somewhere between $700 - $1500 used obviously.

Thanks, any suggestions welcome.

Posted: Oct 21, 2022 at 18:26 Quote
Hey PB!
50yo here. I ride a bit, then go dormant for years on end. Recently went to Reveille Peak Ranch and Spider Mountain here in Texas and I’m ready to go hard. First, a new bike as Reveille murdered my OLD Specialized Hardrock. Rented a Rocky Mountain and was blown away by the new technology.

- Almost pulled the trigger on a Giant Stance at local shop. But then kept looking.
- The more research I do, the more I’m really digging the Polygon D7. But I’ve never heard of this company until recently. Anyone have input on them? Love the price point, and reviews.
- Ibis Ripmo at the local shop felt very nice; but a bit out of my price range.
- Is a horizontal rear shock more desired? I know it looks better. I’m supposed to look at the “new geometry” also. Whatever that means.

Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 9:00 Quote
Polygon manufactures for other brands and make their own line of bikes, similar to Giant…owners do like them. The D7 and Ripmo are on opposite ends of the travel spectrum so first you should figure out what amount of travel suits best for your local trails. The new geometry is slacker head tube angle for handling terrain and steeper seat tube for pedaling efficiency. Most of the direct to consumer brands offer great products at a reasonable cost. Shock position is more a factor for how the rear suspension articulation was designed.
For an all around trail bike, look for 130-140 travel and pay attention to component spec and build weight…

Posted: Oct 23, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
undescended wrote:
Polygon manufactures for other brands and make their own line of bikes, similar to Giant…owners do like them. The D7 and Ripmo are on opposite ends of the travel spectrum so first you should figure out what amount of travel suits best for your local trails. The new geometry is slacker head tube angle for handling terrain and steeper seat tube for pedaling efficiency. Most of the direct to consumer brands offer great products at a reasonable cost. Shock position is more a factor for how the rear suspension articulation was designed.
For an all around trail bike, look for 130-140 travel and pay attention to component spec and build weight…

Nice. This is the stuff I'm here for. Thanks for the post dude.

Posted: Nov 1, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
Just a reminder to everyone who's looking for a new bike. Tom has a very informative video about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGw1hh7TrYQ

Posted: Nov 3, 2022 at 17:49 Quote
band1t0ne wrote:
Hey PB!
59yo here. I ride a bit, then go dormant for years on end. Recently went to Reveille Peak Ranch and Spider Mountain here in Texas and I’m ready to go hard. First, a new bike as Reveille murdered my OLD Specialized Hardrock. Rented a Rocky Mountain...

So which Rocky Mountain did you demo?

As mentioned, the Polygon D7 and Ibis Ripmo aren't very similar bikes. The Ripmo falls into that "one bike to do it all" category while the D7 is definitely a light-duty trail bike. Polygon also makes a T7, T8, and an N8 (I think) that are harder hitting bikes at pretty good values. I've seen used aluminum Ripmos selling for $2500 around here, so don't overlook the used market which is finally coming back down to Earth. Understand what your budget is and also honestly evaluate what your risk appetite is for going "hard." For me at age 46, going hard means something very different than it meant at age 26.

If you plan to mostly do the lift serve stuff at Spider and the downhill/enduro runs at Reveille (and truly hit the biggest features,) my shopping list would start with bikes around 150 - 160 mm of rear wheel travel. You'll appreciate not only the plushness, but the forgiveness big travel can provide when you botch something. If you also want to use that bike to do long XC style rides or need to be able to pedal it up the climbs all day while still taking on big features, something in the 140 - 150mm rear travel may be the ticket. If you don't plan to hit stuff more challenging than "blue" rated features, there are some real baller bikes in the 120 - 135mm travel category that can be pedalled indefinitely while still offering exciting performance on blue-rated terrain, jumps, and drops. (And some of those bikes even tackle some black diamond stuff pretty well.)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014235
Mobile Version of Website