Powered by Outside

Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:38 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
I am running xt 11-46 with a 32T up front and the 46 is plenty low enough for me. I have even thought of going to 34 because 11x32 is a little lacking in the top end. I couldn't imagine only having a 30T up front.

I never have an issue with the top end as I don't ride park/DH really at all. Love the 30/46 for some steep grinders in my area!! Although I could just stronger and run a 32. I also went 1x when my bike was a double, so I was 30/36 for a low gear for a long time...lol

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
NRZ wrote:
makripper wrote:
NRZ wrote:

Thank you for the response! Have another question, do the Trance's like coil shocks, or would one only want to ride an air shock? For the rear!!
I prefer air. The linkage on the trance, reign and glory are very linear. Most coil shocks are also more linear than air shocks. If you could work out a tune then a coil might feel awesome. For the majority of us, with a couple volume spacers in an air shock is good enough. I went custom shim and a few volume spacers to get the proper ramp up and mid stroke support for the glory but only needed a couple volume spacers for my air shock in the trance. Make any sense? Haha

Makes total sense, thank you! I bought a 2016 Trance 3 and it's just a stock RS Monacrh on there, small bump sensitivity seems crappy to me and I ride in New England on a ton of roots. Was watching some videos comparing the coil vs air and thought about trying the coil. Those videos and comments mentioned some bikes just don't like coils, because they're designed for some of the more progressive linkages on current bikes. I couldn't make out if the Trance was designed as a more linear or progressive linkage setup.

Given some free play money, would you try a coil?
I replaced the Monarch RT on my '15 Trance Adv with a McLeod with King Can at full volume (I'm 150lb and running ~125psi), and it feels pretty coil-like - better mid-stroke support than most air shocks, not expensive either.

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:35 Quote
You need to check linkage design blog - it's in Spanish but features a google translate on ththe side. It lists the giant trances suspension kinematic (including optimum ring size). The modern giant trance frames 2017-2019 have a progressive suspension design in the form ' v progressive to linear, this will work fine with a coil shock, but you won't be able to adjust for the last few mm.

A properly tuned air shock will be better. (Lighter, as supple, more adjustability, more pop). Often the cheaper shocks don't allow much control and you get a fixed e.g. Compression tuning, which can lead to a stutters experience if it didn't match your weight and riding style. (Yes, compression is weight dependant).

YMMV. Coils are awesome, choose your compromise Smile

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:25 Quote
TheGnarlyCenturion wrote:
You need to check linkage design blog - it's in Spanish but features a google translate on ththe side. It lists the giant trances suspension kinematic (including optimum ring size). The modern giant trance frames 2017-2019 have a progressive suspension design in the form ' v progressive to linear, this will work fine with a coil shock, but you won't be able to adjust for the last few mm.

A properly tuned air shock will be better. (Lighter, as supple, more adjustability, more pop). Often the cheaper shocks don't allow much control and you get a fixed e.g. Compression tuning, which can lead to a stutters experience if it didn't match your weight and riding style. (Yes, compression is weight dependant).

Thanks for the post! I'll probably end up sticking with an air shock, just found a couple deals on coils and thought it might be worth looking into.

I'm 5' 10", 210 in riding mode, mostly singletrack/trail ridiing, nothing crazy. Did a bikepark once, not sure how often I'd go.

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 14:48 Quote
NRZ wrote:

Thanks for the post! I'll probably end up sticking with an air shock, just found a couple deals on coils and thought it might be worth looking into.

I'm 5' 10", 210 in riding mode, mostly singletrack/trail ridiing, nothing crazy. Did a bikepark once, not sure how often I'd go.
do you have access to a suspension tuning company like suspensionwerx or the like? Could just need a reshim or valving tune

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 19:05 Quote
makripper wrote:
NRZ wrote:

do you have access to a suspension tuning company like suspensionwerx or the like? Could just need a reshim or valving tune
Yeah, depending on which model Monarch it is, there might be revalve kits available, or the custom tune option.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 6:21 Quote
brianl wrote:
makripper wrote:
NRZ wrote:

Yeah, depending on which model Monarch it is, there might be revalve kits available, or the custom tune option.

It's the Monarch R...

Posted: Dec 20, 2018 at 5:50 Quote
It was pretty warm here yesterday, so my friend and i bailed out of work early for a quick jaunt around a local trail.
the failing light, and slow-going halted us around 4 miles, but we had a blast.
photo

i had been thinking seriously about a rear mudguard to keep the $h!t out of my rear links & shock. after the ride yesterday, it's definitely going to happen before i turn too many more wintry miles.
photo

Posted: Dec 22, 2018 at 5:07 Quote
Check out the RRP rear enduro guard, popped one on my Trance the other week, haven’t tested it in anger yet but looks spot on.

Posted: Dec 22, 2018 at 11:37 Quote
Tried to share a pic, didn’t work!

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 8:26 Quote
DanVV wrote:
Check out the RRP rear enduro guard, popped one on my Trance the other week, haven’t tested it in anger yet but looks spot on.
I'd love to see that pic. I tried to shoehorn a segment of a 2L Coke bottle in there and it was super tight.
*I'm running 2.6s F&R.*

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 11:26 Quote
I’ve set up an Imgur account and have a pic but don’t know how to post it!? I’m sure it used to always be [img][/img] when I used to frequent forums!

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 11:57 Quote
DanVV wrote:
I’ve set up an Imgur account and have a pic but don’t know how to post it!? I’m sure it used to always be [img][/img] when I used to frequent forums!

that's what i've always used as well, but PB uses [P=http:// size=m align=c][/P] where you insert the pic's URL after the first =.

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 12:09 Quote
Wahey! After editing the post about four times, I’ve gotten it to work... although in hindsight it’s not the best pic!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015170
Mobile Version of Website