Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: May 31, 2023 at 14:28 Quote
robbiekane wrote:
husstler wrote:
vermontana wrote:
Anyone turned their Rootdown into a more trail/xc oriented build? I'm doing a 50-miler in my town this summer (Leadville Silver Rush 50) with 8k or so of elevation change and some burly loose long descents. I don't really want to swap to a racier/lighter frame and renting a rig locally for the race starts get super pricey for more than a couple days. I'm thinking the steel frame would be real comfortable for the long descents too.

I threw a 2.6 Rekon exo+ on the rear which I've been pleasantly surprised by, but thinking about adding a 2.6 Forekaster up front (running DHF currently) and swapping my 160 Lyrik to a 140 Fox 34 my buddy has (probably temporarily) with a reverse components spacer to add 10mm under the crown. By my calcs this would take the HTA from 65 to 65.7 and I could drop around 1.3 lbs up front on the bike. I'm a bit worried about the STA getting steeper, but in this race you're either going super steep up or down, so I don't think it would be as much of an issue as with more undulating terrain. Curious if anyone's gone down this path and has feedback.

I stuck XC tires on my Doctahawk, a bigger chainring, shorter air shaft (150mm), and entered an XC race. Kinda heavy still compared to an XC bike but had comfy geometry and (to me) the rolling weight of the bike is what's important, not the total weight. Was lots of fun, and riding a familiar bike was great.

Slide your seat back on the rails for now if you're worried about the STA.

If you look at the beginner categories there will be people riding stock $1500 33 lb hardtails and I'd much rather be on your well sorted out 33 lb Rootdown.

Nice! What race did you do?

I did the BackForty last year with my Doctahawk. Got crushed on the climbs, but felt right at home on the downs. I ran maxxgrip front and rear. Sooo dumb. I was cursing quite a bit on the climbs between stages, but was in full send mode on the downs

I tend to sign up for endurance XC races, because I'm too old and heavy to keep up with the shorter format racing. Endurance is OK though. Just one a summer is enough for me to keep my training on track.

Last summer did the Crowsnest Pass 100 short race (50 km)
In two weeks I am doing the Merritt Crown short race (60 km)

Same idea - but on a Specialized Status for the Merritt Crown. Heavy bike, XC tires. Weighs just about the same as the Hawk though.

2.3" Purgatory on the back. 2.3" Ground Control (hope it's dry) on the front. I keep a Butcher in the trunk in case it rains.

Posted: May 31, 2023 at 18:09 Quote
Throw some aggressive 2.4's or 2.3' on it , it will rip... a little higher P.S.I. so ya don't pinch flat.... Its racing you dont need to be comfortable, Raced 20 years ,mostly Colorado Rocky mountains on 1.9 's and 2.0's XC racing and ultra stuff and was able to win most races in expert class...

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 8:19 Quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Ya'll got me thinking I should just keep the Lyrik on and focus on some skinnier/faster tires, need to remind myself I'm in it to have fun and not competing to win hah. Either way going to be way more capable on the Rootdown than a 33lb beginner hardtail as husstler pointed out.

Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 8:55 Quote
vermontana wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Ya'll got me thinking I should just keep the Lyrik on and focus on some skinnier/faster tires, need to remind myself I'm in it to have fun and not competing to win hah. Either way going to be way more capable on the Rootdown than a 33lb beginner hardtail as husstler pointed out.
If you want to do a really cool ride just for fun and suffering there is an annual ride based out of Salida on the 4th of July dubbed the Don ride, Its free Just show up and ride.. I think its 86 miles with bail out options , 10,000 + vert , self supported, starts on Sakett street a block or two east of absolute bikes at 4:20 am , I did it for many years but haven't for the last few, maybe will this year. Its a bad ass ride. its key to stash a cooler with lunch and water at Poncha Pass where the rainbow trail crosses.. You just have to cling on to someone close to your pace who knows the route because its unmarked.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 21:19 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
vermontana wrote:
If you want to do a really cool ride just for fun and suffering there is an annual ride based out of Salida on the 4th of July dubbed the Don ride, Its free Just show up and ride.. I think its 86 miles with bail out options , 10,000 + vert , self supported, starts on Sakett street a block or two east of absolute bikes at 4:20 am , I did it for many years but haven't for the last few, maybe will this year. Its a bad ass ride. its key to stash a cooler with lunch and water at Poncha Pass where the rainbow trail crosses.. You just have to cling on to someone close to your pace who knows the route because its unmarked.

......and traditionally done on a singlespeed...because "fun and suffering"

Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 22:03 Quote
Loudpawlz wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:
vermontana wrote:

......and traditionally done on a singlespeed...because "fun and suffering"

I haven't dine it on a ss since 2011, I think...... , My last year sindlespeeding was 2012. For some reason I thought the ride went overall better on a ss. but not sure if I could hack it anymore. Don got hit by a car riding his bike a while back, Broke his fib and tip and some other bones... He's 80 years old now , He was really looking forward to this season of riding as he was recovering from some other issues and just feeling better... I'm pretty bummed for him.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 11:16 Quote
Rootdown conversion to gravel bike? Has anyone converted their Rootdown to a gravel bike setup? I've been interested in trying gravel riding but thought before I buy a gravel bike I would setup my Rootdown for this type of riding. The easiest thing would be to buy gravel specific tires and try that but wondering there's anything else I should do, or if someone has down this already. Appreciate any input.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 11:57 Quote
Cmzmyers wrote:
Rootdown conversion to gravel bike? Has anyone converted their Rootdown to a gravel bike setup? I've been interested in trying gravel riding but thought before I buy a gravel bike I would setup my Rootdown for this type of riding. The easiest thing would be to buy gravel specific tires and try that but wondering there's anything else I should do, or if someone has down this already. Appreciate any input.

What year Rootdown is it? The original less progressive Geo?

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 16:56 Quote
robbiekane wrote:
Cmzmyers wrote:

2018, so yes.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 17:23 Quote
Cmzmyers wrote:
robbiekane wrote:
Cmzmyers wrote:

2018, so yes.

I’ve seen folks turning their even older rootdowns and surfaces to gravel bikes. These older versions were even steeper and had straight head tube. Non-tapered. But not your later more progressive Rootdown

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2023 at 4:28 Quote
Cmzmyers wrote:

thought about this one, too. lighter wheel set with fast rolling tires, maybe, if available the surly corner bar and dropping the travel from 160 to 140mm. Would make a trick bike packing rig. optical wise I'm undecided. Big Grin

Posted: Jun 7, 2023 at 6:08 Quote
I hate to mention the "G" word in this thread but looks like Chromag is doing Gravel bikes now , I get enough Gravel just pedaling to the trailhead to fill my Gravel needs.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2023 at 6:58 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
I hate to mention the "G" word in this thread but looks like Chromag is doing Gravel bikes now , I get enough Gravel just pedaling to the trailhead to fill my Gravel needs.

Do you think those are just one offs like they said?

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2023 at 7:00 Quote
sren wrote:
Cmzmyers wrote:

thought about this one, too. lighter wheel set with fast rolling tires, maybe, if available the surly corner bar and dropping the travel from 160 to 140mm. Would make a trick bike packing rig. optical wise I'm undecided. Big Grin

I feel the same way re: optics. Having a second set of wheels would be helpful and easy to swap back for mountain/trail riding. Swapping bars back and forth would be a pain though. I have my fork at 150 and would just leave it there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017317
Mobile Version of Website