Powered by Outside

2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 2:53 Quote
Wanting to swap to 165mm cranks. Currently running Sram GX Eagle 170s. Do I need to order boost cranks or non-boost? I know the wheels are boost but the spec list on the website doesn't specify about the cranks, and I'm not all that up on the new boost stuff as it is.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 4:12 Quote
Onespeed38 wrote:
Wanting to swap to 165mm cranks. Currently running Sram GX Eagle 170s. Do I need to order boost cranks or non-boost? I know the wheels are boost but the spec list on the website doesn't specify about the cranks, and I'm not all that up on the new boost stuff as it is.

If you are ordering sram eagle cranks then it doesn't matter, the offset is in the chainring. So just reuse your chainring.

If you're going with another brand, then yes, boost cranks

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
oregontradesman wrote:
Onespeed38 wrote:

If you are ordering sram eagle cranks then it doesn't matter, the offset is in the chainring. So just reuse your chainring.

Thanks for the quick answer! Why does Sram sell boost and non-boost cranks then?

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 16:57 Quote
Hey all, any XL sized fellas riding these?

I'm 192cm, with a 36 inch or 92cm inseam and at leass a 202cm wingspan. I like the look of most of the geo, specs and price, but not sure if it will have enough reach enough. Currently riding a Chromag Stylus large frame, and i'm not into super long reach, but haven't gone below 480 in a few years.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 18:48 Quote
Onespeed38 wrote:
oregontradesman wrote:
Onespeed38 wrote:

Thanks for the quick answer! Why does Sram sell boost and non-boost cranks then?

Idk. Just they way they do it I guess

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 18:53 Quote
Pennyrisk wrote:

I'm 192cm, with a 36 inch or 92cm inseam and at leass a 202cm wingspan. I like the look of most of the geo, specs and price, but not sure if it will have enough reach enough. Currently riding a Chromag Stylus large frame, and i'm not into super long reach, but haven't gone below 480 in a few years.

I'm 188 cm with a 89 cm inseam. I was turned off by the reach of the 29er also but gave it a shot anyway. My last 3 bikes, reach numbers were 500. So coming to a shorter reach bike I did notice a difference but not much. The bike felt similar too my 19 transition scout

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
Pennyrisk wrote:

im 6ā€™2, and i have a 50mm stem on an S3 29, feels fine.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
I've bought a evo carbon 29er frame to replace my cracked Slash. Get it in a few days, comes with the dhx2 rear shock but 500lb spring. I only weigh 150lbs so reckon itll be oversprung. Any others about the same weight and what weight spring you running? Also the frame only comes with the headset bearings, aye?

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
slow66 wrote:
I've bought a evo carbon 29er frame to replace my cracked Slash. Get it in a few days, comes with the dhx2 rear shock but 500lb spring. I only weigh 150lbs so reckon itll be oversprung. Any others about the same weight and what weight spring you running? Also the frame only comes with the headset bearings, aye?

I think a 500 lb spring should be fine for you. I run a 600lb spring and I weigh 210. Frame only does come with a compy style headset

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 17:05 Quote
Thanks for the feedback re; sizing. Will try find one for a carpark test.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 20:00 Quote
Sorry, another sizing question...looking for some advice. Iā€™m looking to get a 27.5 S2, but I am 5ā€™5ā€ (165cm), average proportions. Will an S2 be good, or should I just look for another bike.

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 at 0:47 Quote
I'm the same height and have went for the s2 29er. The reach of 27.5 bike is a bit longer at 465m vs the 29er at 445m. For me 465 is outside what I would be comfortable with, I know 450mm is about my max.

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 9:41 Quote
just wondering how tough the finish is the carbon evo, love the raw look but is it a nightmare for scratches etc?

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 23:54 Quote
Having a hard time getting the proper sag on my Evo (S3, 27.5).
I'm a heavy rider, ~270lbs riding weight.
Currently running a 700lb spring in the DHX2, with Cascade Components link, and max preload.
With this setup I can only get to 36% sag, or 19mm (trying to get closer to 30%).
I know the first step would be a heavier spring, but finding a 750lb is proving to be a challenge... I did find an 800lb spring, but that could be too stiff.

Couple of questions for all of you suspension gurus out there.

-Would an 800lb spring be too much for this shock to handle? Would I overwhelm the internals/damping?
-Anyone know where I can find a 750lb spring?

-If I removed the spacer at the base of the coil that would increase my overall stroke. Would that improve my sag percentage? (52.5 x .36 = 18.9 vs 55 x .34 = 18.7). I know it's not much but its something. Or would the increase in stroke make my problem worse? Not sure I'm doing the math correctly or fully understand the relationship of stroke vs spring rate vs sag.

-According to the Cascade Components chart I'm already running 160mm travel due to the link. If I removed the coil spacer would that take me up to 167mm of travel? That would be fine as long as I can get the proper sag and ride height (increased ride height would even be desirable). Is it a good idea to remove that spacer for my particular scenario?
I know once its gone its gone and not easily replaced.

-Any other good ideas out there to help me reduce the sag without wrecking the ride or dropping for a completely different shock?

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
bigger spring (800) or lose weight....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 1.522555
Mobile Version of Website