2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: May 30, 2016 at 1:45 Quote
SeanOg wrote:
The rear was around 29-30 psi.
I expected much lower. SG compound is thick on the sidewalls and it almost stands by itself on the rim, even without inflating it Smile .
I run a regular Nobby Nic at 2.1-2.2bars at the back and never hit a rim (which was like 22.5mm internally wide).

Looks like you are a proper slasher on the downs Wink

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 2:07 Quote
Has anyone found a an updated document with torque specs on linkage.
I'm about to replace bearings, but would like to do it the propper way.
Meaning to put loctite/grease where needed and put right tension with torque wrench

I'm hoping for something like
photo
This is example from Canyon FRX

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 4:33 Quote
Vuco wrote:
SeanOg wrote:
I expected much lower. SG compound is thick on the sidewalls and it almost stands by itself on the rim, even without inflating it Smile .
I run a regular Nobby Nic at 2.1-2.2bars at the back and never hit a rim (which was like 22.5mm internally wide).

Looks like you are a proper slasher on the downs Wink

Absolutely awesome tires,grip is insane and I havint punctured yet the sidewalls are really good.But I'm still questioning my set up if I can still ding the rim at high pressure. I am quite an aggressive rider hucking and jumping so I guess I just need to watch out for those bad landings/square edge type of hits??! Also I was told yesterday that even spoke tension is more important to the integrity of the rim instead of a straight one with uneven tension. Thoughts???

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 13:23 Quote
madstayen wrote:
Yip, I get what you're saying wrt the scratches etc. The "dune" however is what's bothering me. These bike's frames are made from either carbon fiber, or Aluminum. In your case it's aluminum, and the tubes are hydroformed using immense force. So, it's inevitable that a little flaw here and there might slip through, the real question is, is it detrimental to the bike's structural integrity? ? Giant would be able to help you with that. Sure, you can just ride the bike till something breaks, maybe kill yourself in the process, it's totally your choice. That's just not something I'd let by unnoticed, especially if my life is on the line.

tashev wrote:
If I was in your shoes- I would definetly ask the LBS and Giant eventually.
They can say is it something to worry or not.

Today I've shown the bike to my LSB and he has said the little "dune" on the top tube it's just cosmetic and about painting, also he have said if the situation will aggravate in the future there's always the frame lifetime warranty…
so I'm thinking to hold the bike and enjoy it, what do you think about?

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 13:47 Quote
SeanOg wrote:
Vuco wrote:
SeanOg wrote:
I've got my p-am2 wheels set up tubeless with magic Mary's super gravity trail stars f/r,I've gotten 3 nice big indents on the rear rim lately. Even running higher pressures il still ding the rim on square edges and bad landings. It knocks the wheel slightly out of true each time and I've had it tensioned twice now I need it done a third time!! That aside they take the abuse admirably but the square edge dings on rocks and stuff really bug me. Is it the tyre rim combo or just these rims are soft?! Having my wheel out of true even slightly really bugs me mentally more so than physically!!
What pressure were you running ?
Had similar issue with my son's Trance 2 with stock tires even at 35psi, and he is 50kg only. New back tire with reinforced sides helped. He can run 20psi now. Not tubeless though.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 18:38 Quote
The paint is susceptible to chips, but the high gloss finish allows for very easy cleaning. The BB protector is a little short, it should have been broadened and made longer to offer improved protection. That said, it is a mountain bike and it will get scratch and chipped as long as the bike gets ridden.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 21:07 Quote
k-too wrote:
Has anyone had issues with a 2016 Reign Advanced 1 cracking at the lower left eyelet for the rear shock?

I bought my bike on 18-Mar. On, 21-April, I notice a bulge in the frame at the headtube. I informed the LBS. On, 23-Aprol it noticed it cracked on the eyelet. The LBS informed me there were two other cracks on the down tube and seat tube. The replacement frame cracked within a week at the rear shock lower eyelet left side.

According Cyclepath Calgary the rep said these were not structural cracks. Not too sure how he/she determined this since they have not looked at the bike.

Any advice?

Was the shock ever off the bike? If someone took the shock off and was too zealous with re-inserting the lower shock bolt, I could see one of the bearings perhaps becoming unseated. If this happened, the frame could crack.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 21:24 Quote
Hi,

No, initially... The bike was new when it cracked first. The second time the shock would have been removed and installed on the new frame. I asked if they used a torque wrench to retighten the bolts and they said yes when I collected the bike...

Posted: Jun 1, 2016 at 22:09 Quote
ridewild wrote:
madstayen wrote:
Yip, I get what you're saying wrt the scratches etc. The "dune" however is what's bothering me. These bike's frames are made from either carbon fiber, or Aluminum. In your case it's aluminum, and the tubes are hydroformed using immense force. So, it's inevitable that a little flaw here and there might slip through, the real question is, is it detrimental to the bike's structural integrity? ? Giant would be able to help you with that. Sure, you can just ride the bike till something breaks, maybe kill yourself in the process, it's totally your choice. That's just not something I'd let by unnoticed, especially if my life is on the line.

tashev wrote:
If I was in your shoes- I would definetly ask the LBS and Giant eventually.
They can say is it something to worry or not.

Today I've shown the bike to my LSB and he has said the little "dune" on the top tube it's just cosmetic and about painting, also he have said if the situation will aggravate in the future there's always the frame lifetime warranty…
so I'm thinking to hold the bike and enjoy it, what do you think about?

I say that it's a fair decision, since you did bring it under the attention of your lbs (whom I hope is trustworthy), and that is a good reference point have if anything changes/goes wrong.

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 at 4:03 Quote
Hey guys - I'll be grabbing an RC4 tomorrow to replace the Monarch in my 2016 reign. What mounting hardware will I need for this? Or is it a simple swap of all the bits on the Monarch, without anything extra, in terms of mounting hardware? Cheers!

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 at 23:30 Quote
AndySTi wrote:
Hey guys - I'll be grabbing an RC4 tomorrow to replace the Monarch in my 2016 reign. What mounting hardware will I need for this? Or is it a simple swap of all the bits on the Monarch, without anything extra, in terms of mounting hardware? Cheers!
I'm interested to hear your take on the RC4. I feel like the monarch leaves much to be desired on this frame..

Posted: Jun 4, 2016 at 6:44 Quote
brandonf wrote:
AndySTi wrote:
I'm interested to hear your take on the RC4. I feel like the monarch leaves much to be desired on this frame..

I haven't had a chance to install a DU bush in the top eyelet, so no ride time yet! A general FYI for those looking to purchase a 2014 RC4 - determine what model and tune it is. My RC4 has the CNKK custom tune from factory and has the LONG piggyback, which is the same length piggyback you will find on 9.5*3.0 shock, etc. Clearance is fine with the air assist wound in. There is a couple of mm clearance with the air assist valve wound completely out. I'm not sure why this comes with the longer piggyback as other models come with the short piggyback. Just thought I'd flag this out to folks looking to snap up an RC4. From what I've seen, this should only apply to the 2014/2015 models (dependent on tune).

I'm going coil due to preference - air shocks just don't cut it for me.

Posted: Jun 4, 2016 at 12:26 Quote
Hi guys,just got a used Giant Reign 2 LTD 2015,made it 1x11 with shimano XT.The bike was with reverse x-two crank with double chainring that i replaced with the reverse single chainring but when i put the crank back on i noticed 2-3 mm play between the crank and the BB it looks like the spindle is too long for the BB.now i dont know if it was like that before cause i didnt notice that when i got the bike.The crank is 68mm/73mm i think but i dont know the length of the spindle.i think the bike has the stock shimano BB.On top of that my chainline is so extreme that the chain even drops from the front chainring pedaling forward and pedaling backwards when i am in the biggest 3 sprockets.Can you guys tell me whats the BB that i can use on this bike and what kind of crank if i need to replace? Thanks

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 at 22:33 Quote
dalas51 wrote:
Hi guys,just got a used Giant Reign 2 LTD 2015,made it 1x11 with shimano XT.The bike was with reverse x-two crank with double chainring that i replaced with the reverse single chainring but when i put the crank back on i noticed 2-3 mm play between the crank and the BB it looks like the spindle is too long for the BB.now i dont know if it was like that before cause i didnt notice that when i got the bike.The crank is 68mm/73mm i think but i dont know the length of the spindle.i think the bike has the stock shimano BB.On top of that my chainline is so extreme that the chain even drops from the front chainring pedaling forward and pedaling backwards when i am in the biggest 3 sprockets.Can you guys tell me whats the BB that i can use on this bike and what kind of crank if i need to replace? Thanks

Many of the 1x systems drops when pedaling backwards, I think mainly because of the crank that's more offset to the outside. I think if you use a 1x11 crank it compensates for the wide chainline (I'm guessing here). I would ditch the crank and fit a XT 1x11 crank if possible, just to be sure. I have no knowledge of the crank length etc though, maybe someone else here knows? ??

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 0:09 Quote
dalas51 wrote:
Hi guys,just got a used Giant Reign 2 LTD 2015,made it 1x11 with shimano XT.The bike was with reverse x-two crank with double chainring that i replaced with the reverse single chainring but when i put the crank back on i noticed 2-3 mm play between the crank and the BB it looks like the spindle is too long for the BB.now ...

Spacers?

photo

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.363292
Mobile Version of Website