2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 1:56 Quote
Hey guys. So my XT derailleur blew up on my brother while he was using my Reign, normal use.

I am running 42t E13 range extender and 32 NW up front, 1x10 and I want to stay like that so don't suggest on me going 1x11. Chain length is fine. The main question I have is, has anyone tried a Zee derailleur on the Reign? I don't want to throw another long cage shit there, I have heard you can make a Zee work with the 42t, but I don't know if it is possible in the Reign with all that chain growth.

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 2:14 Quote
Wen't for a Lyrik's in the end, couldn't justify the additional £300/$450 extra for the 36's along with the reports of the small bump harshness.

First ride of them at the weekend, 15miles and 3500ft of descending. Set them up similar to the Pikes initially, 3 tokens and 70psi (I'm 200lbs). Also had 10mm spacer under the stem (large frame & 20mm riser bar). Front end felt a little high (couldn;t load the front wheel in the turns) and the forks a bit too hard (sitting quite high in their travel), so dropped the front down by 5mm and lost 5psi out of the forks.
They feel a bit stiffer than the Pike and a lot more composed in the rough stuff, at Bike Park Wales this weekend, so will see how they get on when riding faster trails.

Will pull them apart this week and service the lowers (don't trust Rockshox and putting oil/grease in the forks!)

Finally had enough parts to build the Trance back up, left the -1 degree angleset, so head angle sits at 66degrees with a slightly lower BB and front end.

Reign amp Trance

Giant Reign
Rockshox Lryik 170mm & Float X2
Hope Pro4 / EX471's Wheelset
X01 Drivetrain
Hope E4 Brakes & Floating Rotors
Renthal Bar & Stem
Reverb B1 170mm post
Weight: 30lbs

Giant Trance
Rockshox Pike 140mm (Angleset installed to give 66 degree head angle)
Hope Pro2 / Arche EX wheelset
X01 Drivetrain
Hope X2 brakes & floating rotors
Renthal Bar & Hope Stem
Reverb 125mm post
Weight: 28lbs

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 4:16 Quote
juanpkumicho wrote:
Hey guys. So my XT derailleur blew up on my brother while he was using my Reign, normal use.

I am running 42t E13 range extender and 32 NW up front, 1x10 and I want to stay like that so don't suggest on me going 1x11. Chain length is fine. The main question I have is, has anyone tried a Zee derailleur on the Reign? I don't want to throw another long cage shit there, I have heard you can make a Zee work with the 42t, but I don't know if it is possible in the Reign with all that chain growth.

Yes, you can make it work, but you need to get a radr cage. I tried it as is, and it did work so so, but I had to get a longer b-tension screw. Shifting is poorer than with XT. I'd stick with xt, just get a shorter cage, or, go Saint

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 7:03 Quote
juanpkumicho wrote:

I have Zee fr working nice with 40t rear cog.
photo

For 42 cog I would probably suggest using custom one-up cage. But you can still try it as-is, but keep in mind your chain length - it increases with the work of suspension.

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 8:27 Quote
SeanOg wrote:
I've got my p-am2 wheels set up tubeless with magic Mary's super gravity trail stars f/r,I've gotten 3 nice big indents on the rear rim lately. Even running higher pressures il still ding the rim on square edges and bad landings. It knocks the wheel slightly out of true each time and I've had it tensioned twice now I need it done a third time!! That aside they take the abuse admirably but the square edge dings on rocks and stuff really bug me. Is it the tyre rim combo or just these rims are soft?! Having my wheel out of true even slightly really bugs me mentally more so than physically!!

sounds like you may want to put a true DH casing tire on the back, the schwalbe site indicates the mmsg only has 2 ply cap, vs 6 for dh tires. may be worth checking your air gauge against some others too, sometimes these are not accurate...

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 10:37 Quote
Ah so you can run the GIANT PAM-2 rims tubeless. Was looking for an answer to that question in here

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 11:03 Quote
MariusW wrote:
Ah so you can run the GIANT PAM-2 rims tubeless. Was looking for an answer to that question in here
Standard set up with tape and valves works fine.

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 11:04 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
SeanOg wrote:
I've got my p-am2 wheels set up tubeless with magic Mary's super gravity trail stars f/r,I've gotten 3 nice big indents on the rear rim lately. Even running higher pressures il still ding the rim on square edges and bad landings. It knocks the wheel slightly out of true each time and I've had it tensioned twice now I need it done a third time!! That aside they take the abuse admirably but the square edge dings on rocks and stuff really bug me. Is it the tyre rim combo or just these rims are soft?! Having my wheel out of true even slightly really bugs me mentally more so than physically!!

sounds like you may want to put a true DH casing tire on the back, the schwalbe site indicates the mmsg only has 2 ply cap, vs 6 for dh tires. may be worth checking your air gauge against some others too, sometimes these are not accurate...

I have used differenr pressure gauges so I know it's not that. Maybe it's the tire casing then? Maybe I do need a full DH one!?

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 23:51 Quote
SeanOg wrote:
MariusW wrote:

One or two layers of tape?

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 at 0:41 Quote
tjteo wrote:
SeanOg wrote:
MariusW wrote:

One layer will be fine, but I prefer two. One stan's tape will be enough to tape two rims twise. Also keep in mind that you will need 25mm wide tape. Narrower tape will cause problems with re-assembling the tyres.

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 at 1:55 Quote
tjteo wrote:
SeanOg wrote:
MariusW wrote:

Two layer of budget gorilla tape. Make sure to cut it to the right width (28mm was perfect). Used Joe's valves : no problems

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 at 2:17 Quote
Thank you guys. I have already got Schwalbe's tubeless rim tape 25mm and tubeless valves and waiting for the bike to come.

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 at 3:27 Quote
tjteo wrote:
Thank you guys. I have already got Schwalbe's tubeless rim tape 25mm and tubeless valves and waiting for the bike to come.
all you need is some gunk so! What tyres are you gonna use?

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 at 3:32 Quote
Well I found an used XT derailleur for like 15 bucks, with half smashed cage. I made a hybrid of the two and it seems to be working OK after adjustment and a bit of grease to the clutch. I will try it out and see, if it gives me headaches I will then go for a med-cage XT.

On another note, I am finally about to wear out the remaining Hans Dampf that came with ther bike, that is now suffering as my rear tire. I will put a Minion semi slick there, 2.3, to match my current HRII 2.3 in the front. I hope the bike pedals great after that, what do you guys think?

Cheers!

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 at 3:32 Quote
Yep. I have got Continental Revo sealant and tyres are DHF and DHRII TR 2.3 both in Max Terra compound.
I am not gonna use the Dampfs. The don't last to me and are not TR.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013803
Mobile Version of Website