Powered by Outside

Bird Aeris owners thread

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 17:16 Quote
Bird Aeris Am9 XL used for Geometry experiment

33 lbs, including pedals, bottle cage, tube strap and bar-ins.

XL Am9 frame.
Works Components minus 1 degree headset - see above

2019 Lyrik RC2, 170mm, 27.5”, 37mm (=reduced)offset - Consistantly reviewed as the best fork on the market, and it’s available with short offset. Same front end height as stock 150mm fork with 29er wheel.

Rockshox Superdeluxe RCT - I figured if I had a bike with 150mm rear, 170 front and super stable geometry, I’d go for the added big mountain capability of a piggyback shock.

Stealth Maxle - cheaper, lighter and lower profile

E13 dropper 170mm. I wanted at least 170mm -I liked the idea of full mechanical with coil spring for reliability. Also one of the least expensive ones out there.

Specialized Power saddle - best pressure relief on the nose for steep climbing.

170mm Sram 1400 cranks with 28t ring- A bit more ground clearance than 175, but with my super long legs 165mm seemed a bit short. Decent price/weight.
Alloy lower bashguard on ISCG mount.

Xo1 11 speed shifter - smooth shifting.
GX 11 speed rear derailleur - Decent and not to expensive in case of damage.

Syntace carbon 780mm, 12 degree bar - Comfy shape and the strongest, most reliable bars on the market.

60mm Specialized stem. - same effective length as 50mm stem with 9 degree bar.

Old Specialized carbon bar-ends run as bar-ins - allows for wide bar for technical riding and longer, reach and narrow grip for cruising flats or easy climbs. Don’t hook trees.

Ergon GE2 grips - seemed interesting, still trying them out

Guide RSC brakes, 200mm front 180mm rear - I like the adjustability. I did debate getting the Code RSC.

For trail riding:
27.5” Roval Carbon 38mm internal front wheel, Maxxis DHF 2.8 tire - Fairly light tire with great traction.
29” Bontrager Line elite 28mm internal rear wheel. Schwalbe Rockrazor 2.35 tire with Huck Norris insert -Very fast rolling tire with decent cornering grip.
Both wheels I already had.
Garbaruk 10-46t cassette. 11 speed. Lighter than Eagle and less finicky adjustment, nearly the same range. More ground clearance.

For bikepark use:
27.5” Roval Carbon 38mm internal front wheel, Surly Dirt Wizard 3.0 tire. Super tough casing is stable at speed. Super grippy. Large front tire increases trail.

27.5” Roval Alloy 30mm internal rear wheel. Bontrager SE4 2.6 tire. Huck Norris insert. - 2.8 tire doesn’t fit in frame. Alloy rim for durability in case of rock smashes.
Both wheels I already had.
The smaller rear wheel lowers the bike for better cornering and slackens the head angle for high speed and steep riding.

SRAM 1080 10-42 cassette - already had this, more range than needed. When it wears out I might replace with something more compact. Perhaps the 3T Strada Bailout cassette: 9-32t. Gives me the taller gear range while keeping the chainring the same.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 17:56 Quote
imbecile wrote:
27,5 Yari CSU + 29" Yari lowers fork

Why that mod? To reduce offset? Why?

How did you remove the stickers?
My Lyrik came with cool stealth black decals, but I’m having a hard time removing the white ones, they just shred.

Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 1:25 Quote
Because it was more profitable to replace the lowers only than to buy a complete 29 fork and it'd be interesting to test the shorter offset as it's discussed a lot lately Smile Aftermarket lowers are sold without decals, so there was nothing to be removed. In your case I'm guessing using a hot air gun/hair dryer would aid the removal by softening the decals adhesive.

Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 4:19 Quote
nedersotan wrote:
imbecile wrote:
27,5 Yari CSU + 29" Yari lowers fork

Why that mod? To reduce offset? Why?

How did you remove the stickers?
My Lyrik came with cool stealth black decals, but I’m having a hard time removing the white ones, they just shred.
air dryer to warm up the adhesive,then just peel off slowly

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 5:52 Quote
Thanks guys. I was trying the hair dryer, but I’ll be more patient ;-)

Here is a tip for Am9 owners, and maybe other Bird frames too:

Pump storage, a mini pump fits perfectly under the forward shock mount.
I put some mastic tape under the top tube to prevent scratches and rattling and it’s nice and silent, yet easy to grab. Further from mud and legs too, compared to using a bottle cage mounting bracket.

On bike pump carry less likely to catch or get dirty than using the bracket. Sit snug and rattle free.

Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 3:32 Quote
@nederostan - that is a big bike! How tall are you? It took me a few moments to realise I was looking at a 29er because proportionally it looks more like 27.5. Like the pump idea too, made me wonder if I could stash my headlight battery there too

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 6:14 Quote
Joemmo wrote:
@nederostan - that is a big bike! How tall are you? It took me a few moments to realise I was looking at a 29er because proportionally it looks more like 27.5. Like the pump idea too, made me wonder if I could stash my headlight battery there too

I am 195cm/almost 6’5”, so yeah, it’s a big one. The wide angle lens makes the back wheel look smaller too, and the front wheel actually is a 27.5, albeit 27.5x2.8, so almost the same diameter as 29er..
Being tall is one of the main reasons I wanted this bike, the fact that the actual seat angle was fairly steep and that the reach was well over 500mm, and the chainstays not to short.

None of my light batteries would fit in between there, they are a fair bit thicker. The gap is 31mm wide.

Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 6:42 Quote
@nedersotan

I'm just about to receive delivery of my xl AM9 and want to order up a works component headset as well. What is the length of the head tube if you don't mind me asking?

Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 7:20 Quote
It's 120mm on the XL.

Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 7:36 Quote
Nice one cheers. Met one of the Bird guys at Pitfichie last week and said he'd tried 1 degree slacker with good results.

Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 7:56 Quote
Does anyone own both a 120 and 145LT or have ridden them both? How do they compare?

I have my 120 spec'ed up just how I want it and it is the best bike for main type of riding I do; but I am thinking of doing more uplift days and hopefully a trip to the Alps.

So I am thinking of getting a 145LT frame, super deluxe shock and headset on the Cycle To Work scheme (plus a 160mm air shaft). I can then transfer everything between both frames - all the components on my 120 can handle a big Enduro bike. It's not worth me buying a second bike, nor do I have the space to store another one.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 8:42 Quote
TIMMY12 wrote:
Does anyone own both a 120 and 145LT or have ridden them both? How do they compare?

I have my 120 spec'ed up just how I want it and it is the best bike for main type of riding I do; but I am thinking of doing more uplift days and hopefully a trip to the Alps.

So I am thinking of getting a 145LT frame, super deluxe shock and headset on the Cycle To Work scheme (plus a 160mm air shaft). I can then transfer everything between both frames - all the components on my 120 can handle a big Enduro bike. It's not worth me buying a second bike, nor do I have the space to store another one.

What about pushing the nest for a 120LT linkage solution. Somewhat more pocket friendly and then more money for mtb trips ????

Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 12:05 Quote
An LT linkage seems unlikely to me, if it was only going to add 20mm then you might as well buy a 145 surely? Can the frame even accommodate another 20mm travel?

Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 12:09 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
What about pushing the nest for a 120LT linkage solution. Somewhat more pocket friendly and then more money for mtb trips ????

I have done, they did test a prototype but it made the seat angle slacker. The 145 has a steeper seat angle to begin with so it works on the 145. I believe they don't have the time to create anymore prototypes at the moment (which is fair enough as they have a lot going on!).

Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 15:36 Quote
imbecile wrote:
Done Smile Looks good, rides good. Happy days!
photo

What chainstay protector is that?

Like the look of it, much neater than an old tube or tape.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011328
Mobile Version of Website