Powered by Outside

Big Bang theory vs. Christianity - Read first page.

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Big Bang theory vs. Christianity - Read first page.
Posted: Sep 17, 2010 at 18:10 Quote
harriieee wrote:
^What he said.

So, it's a CHRISTIAN THEORY? What, exactly, does that mean? Does it belong to the pope? Is it stashed away in a church somewhere?

Just because Lemaitre was an ordained priest when he formulated his theory noes not make it "Christian". Lemaitre was a brilliant scientist.

No it means that the Big Bang theory is not opposed to Christianity or to the fact that God made the Universe. There are many Priests Popes and Christian people who are brilliant faithful scientists. And Christianity up held science after the fall of the Roman Empire.

Posted: Sep 17, 2010 at 18:15 Quote
ARGOSX wrote:
harriieee wrote:
^What he said.

So, it's a CHRISTIAN THEORY? What, exactly, does that mean? Does it belong to the pope? Is it stashed away in a church somewhere?

Just because Lemaitre was an ordained priest when he formulated his theory noes not make it "Christian". Lemaitre was a brilliant scientist.

No it means that the Big Bang theory is not opposed to Christianity or to the fact that God made the Universe.

Facepalm

Posted: Sep 18, 2010 at 15:31 Quote
ARGOSX wrote:
No it means that the Big Bang theory is not opposed to Christianity or to the fact that God made the Universe. There are many Priests Popes and Christian people who are brilliant faithful scientists. And Christianity up held science after the fall of the Roman Empire.

If you knew much about Lemaitre, you'd know that he vigorously separated science and religion, differentiating between religious and scientific "levels of cognition"....ie, he was aware that religion was nothing to do with science. Lemaitre's science has nothing to do with the fact that he was religious. Big bang theory is science and has nothing to do with God.

Name me a brilliant scientist who was Pope and I'll eat my right leg.

Christianity did not uphold science after the fall of the Roman Empire. That is one of the most hideous oversimplifications I've ever read. Firstly, the Roman Empire was Christian when it fell. Secondly, by the year 500 by far the most prominent centre of scientific learning in the world was in newly Islamic East... this continued for at least another 800 years. in the year 762, Baghdad was founded; in it was built the biggest library the world had ever seen and had the largest university ever built also. As a matter of fact, the basis of modern scientific method was created in the Middle East during the Islamic Golden Age, as the Romans didn't study science as we know it. Other scientific breakthroughs in the Islamic world during this period were medical peer review, a heliocentric view of the universe (something for which Galileo's followers were murdered by the Catholic Church for suggesting, in the 17th century - there's your theres's your enlightened Christian Church for you), chemistry, modern mathematics, medicine, physics, sociology, psychology, geography..... the list goes on buddy. All while the European Christian were living in forest huts. The next time the Christian world became a centre for learning was in 1400.

Don't post stuff that you don't know in the future please, you'll save me writing a few essays.

Posted: Sep 18, 2010 at 23:26 Quote
harriieee wrote:
ARGOSX wrote:

If you knew much about Lemaitre, you'd know that he vigorously separated science and religion, differentiating between religious and scientific "levels of cognition"....ie, he was aware that religion was nothing to do with science. Lemaitre's science has nothing to do with the fact that he was religious. Big bang theory is science and has nothing to do with God.

Name me a brilliant scientist who was Pope and I'll eat my right leg.

Christianity did not uphold science after the fall of the Roman Empire. That is one of the most hideous oversimplifications I've ever read. Firstly, the Roman Empire was Christian when it fell. Secondly, by the year 500 by far the most prominent centre of scientific learning in the world was in newly Islamic East... this continued for at least another 800 years. in the year 762, Baghdad was founded; in it was built the biggest library the world had ever seen and had the largest university ever built also. As a matter of fact, the basis of modern scientific method was created in the Middle East during the Islamic Golden Age, as the Romans didn't study science as we know it. Other scientific breakthroughs in the Islamic world during this period were medical peer review, a heliocentric view of the universe (something for which Galileo's followers were murdered by the Catholic Church for suggesting, in the 17th century - there's your theres's your enlightened Christian Church for you), chemistry, modern mathematics, medicine, physics, sociology, psychology, geography..... the list goes on buddy. All while the European Christian were living in forest huts. The next time the Christian world became a centre for learning was in 1400.

Don't post stuff that you don't know in the future please, you'll save me writing a few essays.

This quote from Mark Midbon's article "A Day Without Yesterday" sums up my thoughts about Lemaitre: "His view is interesting and important not because he is a Catholic priest, not because he is one of the leading mathematical physicists of our time, but because he is both."

Science WAS upheld by Islam in the Middle-East and Spain. Europe was in the middle of the Dark Ages and other than Spain, Islam had no presence there. So it was Christianity that upheld science there - primarily in the monasteries.

It's very true that the Islamic part of the world was far advanced in math and science. Muslims as well as Christians believe that God created the Universe. Isn't it interesting that science was upheld by the two biggest monotheistic religions? The peoples religions permeated every area of their lives- how and why they fought their wars, their architecture, their government, their art and literature. Why wouldn't their religions play a key role in the science of both Muslims and Christians? Even though wrongs were committed on both sides, there is no denying that religious beliefs were thoroughly a part of their culture.

Even though Christianity and Islam have vast differences they DO believe in the same God.

I stand corrected about the Popes. Keep your leg.

Posted: Sep 18, 2010 at 23:34 Quote
You have earned 3 Facepalm s

You're out.

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 17:48 Quote
I believe religion is good because it controls people,the bible,Koran etc. make people believe if they sin (murder,steal etc.) they will go to hell so religion keeps control over people making the general population who are religious less likely to commit crimes, don't know if there is a fact that atheist people are more likely to be criminals but it wouldn't surprise me, YES I know in N.Ireland the Catholics and Protestants have killed one another, but apart from those religions others are calm.
Religion is a belief but it is also like a law that in peoples belief punishes them for doing wrong.

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 17:57 Quote
kinetic-uk wrote:
they will go to hell so religion keeps control over people making the general population who are religious less likely to commit crimes, don't know if there is a fact that atheist people are more likely to be criminals but it wouldn't surprise me

Absolutely not... There are many indicators of an individuals likelihood of criminal activity but lack of religion definitely isn't one.

I also wouldn't say religion controls people as its something thats voluntary (there are obviously exceptions but don't worry about those right now). If someone chooses to live in those rules than so be it. But thats just me being nit picky

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 17:59 Quote
Good point, however religion has been misused as a means to unite people under very evil causes, although evil itself is a matter of perspective and perception, most people would agree whats happened is not right.

The crusades; nobles and the church rallied others to their cause telling them that it was a just cause, and that god wanted them to do it, to defeat the saracens.

However, many crusaders killed fellow christians, as well as destroying arabia. The point is time and time again throughout history people have used religion to justify the killing of others. /end rant/

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 18:05 Quote
True like Islamic Extremists like Bin Laden who believe in the Koran, but I just believe that (whether they are voluntary or not to the rules) people will not commit crimes/sin if they believe they're going to hell for it, not all of them are going to but say 9/10 Christians or Muslims etc. are going to stick to the rules and not sin and the rest may do. This is why crime isn't so high because of religion controls the general population.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 18:06 Quote
but then morals come into play, i'm an atheist and everybody knows that theres certain things you just don't do, it's as simple as that. Now those without a conscience, well even religion isn't going to stop them.

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 18:14 Quote
I was raised Christian and I was alway more scared of my mom beating my ass for breaking the law rather than God smiting me or whatever.

I'll agree religious people are less likely to break the rules set forth in the bible like no premarital sex and don't be greedy, but as for criminal issues like stealing, killing, that sort of stuff. People don't do those because of the legal consequences.

You make it sound like Atheists are lawless individuals when really they follow the exact same laws everyone else does.

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 18:14 Quote
sagetthegreat wrote:
but then morals come into play, i'm an atheist and everybody knows that theres certain things you just don't do, it's as simple as that. Now those without a conscience, well even religion isn't going to stop them.

Right on. You shouldn't need a religion to tell you what's right and wrong, and if you do, then you're too far gone anyways.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 18:15 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
sagetthegreat wrote:

Right on. You shouldn't need a religion to tell you what's right and wrong, and if you do, then you're too far gone anyways.
Salute

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 18:18 Quote
True, but anyone who believes in the 10 commandments for example aren't going to sin if they truly believe in god, I am an atheist myself and am a law abiding citizen, and lets just say the bible to a Christian is a solid preventer of crime/sins as it states that people will go to hell for murder etc. I do believe it controls atleast 90% of the religious people and maybe the other 10% are vulnerable to committing crimes and going against their religious beliefs.

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 19:43 Quote
The troubling counterpart with that is that if they believe and obey those rules, chances are they believe the other ridiculous teachings that spawn from holy scriptures as well, such as Earth is younger than ten thousand years, evolution is completely preposterous, their religion is the absolute truth, the scriptures are historically accurate, and so forth. I've said it before: the books teach good values, but there are numerous parts that shouldn't be interpreted literally, other areas should just take a little bit of common sense to realize they're just parables.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009015
Mobile Version of Website