Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

XC Bikes

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 8:16 Quote
'Those carbon fibre hartails' as you put it are far stronger than that Leader of yours which i personally wouldn't touch with a barge pole. When you pay extra for a frame you are not only paying for better strength, you're paying for lighter wieght, better geo, better ride quality and better warranty. I'd really try to find something better.

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 8:42 Quote
Barnseyhcxc wrote:
'Those carbon fibre hartails' as you put it are far stronger than that Leader of yours which i personally wouldn't touch with a barge pole. When you pay extra for a frame you are not only paying for better strength, you're paying for lighter wieght, better geo, better ride quality and better warranty. I'd really try to find something better.

All right, what do you suggest?

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 8:50 Quote
spbmx wrote:
Barnseyhcxc wrote:

All right, what do you suggest?

How much can you spend? I'd say an On One frame but I dont think you can get those in the US.

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 9:14 Quote
Try to find something second hand on ebay then, Spesh Rockhopper, Trek some thing like that Smile

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 9:38 Quote
Barnseyhcxc wrote:
Try to find something second hand on ebay then, Spesh Rockhopper, Trek some thing like that Smile

I already have a bunch of parts, all I need is a frame, headset, and seatpost. Why would you recommend an entry level bike like the Rockhopper over the Leader frame? I don't get why you think the Leader frame is gonna be so weak, it's at least as strong as the Rockhopper's frame.

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 11:03 Quote
spbmx wrote:
Barnseyhcxc wrote:

I already have a bunch of parts, all I need is a frame, headset, and seatpost. Why would you recommend an entry level bike like the Rockhopper over the Leader frame? I don't get why you think the Leader frame is gonna be so weak, it's at least as strong as the Rockhopper's frame.
Mostly because I've never heard of Leader before now, and because I've seen Specialized Rockhoppers ridden without any issues for a full season of cross-country riding.

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 11:21 Quote
1. If you ask people for advice dont throw it back in their face.
2. I suggested looking for a frame on ebay not a full build
3. A rockhopper isnt a low end frame, its much higher quality on all fronts than the leader.
4. If you're so set on that frame just get it, dont ask for other options then just cast them away without a second thought.
5. Stop fussing over strength, you'll be fine whatever.

People on PB really need to listen to 1 particularly.

I'm done Madder

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 17:10 Quote
spbmx wrote:
Well do you guys think the frame will crack while I'm riding XC? I've broken lots of parts and a frame on my BMX bike, but it doesn't seem like I would break a frame riding XC? And that Leader frame has to be stronger than those carbon fiber hardtail frames. Leader knows how to make a frame, they're pretty popular in the FGFS world.
Well yes they wouldn't be as strong but it might not be an issue with xc, but its about weight, geometry, and ride quality.

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 18:45 Quote
Sorry guys, when Barnsey said he wouldn't touch the leader w/ a barge pole and carbon fiber frames are stronger I thought he was saying it was weak. I misunderstood, I wasn't trying to start an argument. So you guys are saying the geometry on the Leader looks messed up?

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 18:48 Quote
Oh and if you haven't heard of Leader, they're a Fixed gear company (mostly freestyle) and I've heard awesome things about their fixed gear stuff, so I thought I'd ask you guys if their XC stuff was good. I don't know much about XC frames, and I want to learn more, I wasn't trying to throw your advice back in your face.

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 18:56 Quote
freerider1996 wrote:
Hey All, So im really thinking about getting a santa cruz Juliana for xc riding and xc racing, plz tell me what you think.
Thanks, Will

Dead Horse

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 21:15 Quote
ElStig wrote:
freerider1996 wrote:
Hey All, So im really thinking about getting a santa cruz Juliana for xc riding and xc racing, plz tell me what you think.
Thanks, Will

Dead Horse

well said. but yeah santa cruz are good bikes if you can afford em

Posted: Nov 20, 2011 at 16:56 Quote
carbonlite wrote:
ElStig wrote:
freerider1996 wrote:
Thanks, Will

Dead Horse

well said. but yeah santa cruz are good bikes if you can afford em

ya superlight is what you want, not a juliana which is a women specific bike

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 23:47 Quote
photo

This is what I ride.. Custom Ti 29er frame, X.0 shifters and XTR crank, ENVE seatpost, stem and handlebar, DT Swiss carbon fork.

Has been upgraded with a Tune King and Kong plus Stans Crest wheelset and a E.13 XCX guide. I love this bike Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012137
Mobile Version of Website