Powered by Outside

Your most annoying customer and why.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Your most annoying customer and why.
Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 14:53 Quote
so you take your car to an independent auto shop for a new clutch. they install it, you pay and drive away. it doesn't change gear

you think that's ok?

you didn't tell them to make sure it shifts gears

you understand now? probably not, because you work in a bike shop and think it's ok to do half a job or crap on paying customers

it's impossible to debate with people who can only see one side of the story

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 15:53 Quote
You'll find it even harder to debate with people who're mostly ignoring your confrontational bullshit, but here we are anyway, with you trying harder and harder.

But please, feel free to tell us more. I mean, maybe you'll still make that breakthrough. I believe in you kiddo.

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 15:59 Quote
this forum's a monoculture, I guess there's no point bringing a different worldview

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 16:03 Quote
Perhaps try some tact, respect, and civility, rather than confrontation, insult, and assumptions. We're all people here. Yeah, we're not going to play ball with someone who comes out of left field for nothing but shittalk. If you have a criticism, feel free to leave it, but if all you're going to do is drone off like some anti-LBS nut, yeah, you're going to get some sarcasm and shittalk in return.

We come here as a safe haven to talk about out 1 in 100 customers, the ones that really drove you up the wall. We're all mechs here and we enjoy sharing said stories. We don't name names, we don't start witch hunts, we just share anecdotes of silly things that have happened. If that's seriously all it takes for you to pull this facebook drama, you may want to re-evaluate the way you interact online.

Cheers dude.

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 16:12 Quote
lol "anti LBS nut" - I spent way too many years defending the LBS model and ultimately wasting thousands personally supporting LBS. even to my own financial detriment. reading this thread shows me exactly why it was a pointless exercise

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 16:16 Quote
This is what I mean. I said you're coming off as one, did not say you are one, and immediately that's all you took from my comment.

You're not here for reasonable discussion, you're here to provoke an argument.

So please, if you could leave and take the pissparty with you, think we'd all appreciate.

Ps, just as a last comment, you'll notice a lot of companies that had the direct distro route are now trying to set up shops and otherwise. At the end of the day, direct distro is nice, but people are not experts about bikes and need help with tuning and otherwise. Bike Shops in general will go under when biking does. As that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon, all I can say is good luck with your ridiculous assumptions. It'd be like saying car shops are going to no longer exist because customers can buy them directly. Dumb as f*ck.

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 16:42 Quote
sherbet wrote:
This is what I mean. I said you're coming off as one, did not say you are one, and immediately that's all you took from my comment.

You're not here for reasonable discussion, you're here to provoke an argument.

So please, if you could leave and take the pissparty with you, think we'd all appreciate.

Ps, just as a last comment, you'll notice a lot of companies that had the direct distro route are now trying to set up shops and otherwise. At the end of the day, direct distro is nice, but people are not experts about bikes and need help with tuning and otherwise. Bike Shops in general will go under when biking does. As that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon, all I can say is good luck with your ridiculous assumptions. It'd be like saying car shops are going to no longer exist because customers can buy them directly. Dumb as f*ck.

like I said, no point trying to argue with a stubborn doomed monoculture

later

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 16:46 Quote
Finally.

And that, friends, is my annoying interaction of the day story.

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 18:01 Quote
This thread went "live" lol

As a customer myself, I'd never expect to get the job free after refusing the service. That's 100% BS. So is telling them they should do it regardless. You're just setting yourself up the same expectation again in the future. To lose a good customer isn't the same thing as letting some leech hit the road.

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 18:25 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
so you take your car to an independent auto shop for a new clutch. they install it, you pay and drive away. it doesn't change gear

you think that's ok?

you didn't tell them to make sure it shifts gears

you understand now? probably not, because you work in a bike shop and think it's ok to do half a job or crap on paying customers

it's impossible to debate with people who can only see one side of the story

I see both sides of this story... Did you not read all of the original poster's comment? They repeatedly asked the customer if he was willing to pay to have the shifting adjusted. He declined to have that service done.
Your example would only be the same situation of the auto shop repeatedly asked me if I wanted the car to shift once they installed the new parts and then I declined to have that service done.
The customer repeatedly elected to not have the derailleur set up, he just wanted the chain and cassette installed (sounds like he didn't have a chain tool or locking tool). Your example does nothing to challenge the original story.

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 18:32 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
lol "anti LBS nut" - I spent way too many years defending the LBS model and ultimately wasting thousands personally supporting LBS. even to my own financial detriment. reading this thread shows me exactly why it was a pointless exercise

If you were "wasting thousands" why didn't you stop after the first hundred?

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 22:29 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
in all fairness to the customer if you fit a new derailleur it takes a pro mechanic 2 mins to set up the shifting (like 26 cents labour) so why not do the job and have a happy customer. its not a full tune up so maybe just do it and save your day from another ranting customer

probs with LBS is too much bitching about bitching customers, too much Cheeto supersize pack binge eating, and not enough just getting on with doing the job. no surprise that the LBS business model of child labour and stupid markups is going down the shitter
1) You expect a pro mechanic to work for $6 an hour?

2) markup isn't nearly what you think it is.

3) don't expect shit for free, it's a business not a charity.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 11:01 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
1) You expect a pro mechanic to work for $6 an hour?

2) markup isn't nearly what you think it is.

3) don't expect shit for free, it's a business not a charity.

This.

1) Totally ignores the price of the tools, the unit they lease or own, the cost of running the business, and etc. Totally ignorant as to why it costs what it does. I don't get paid what the shop charges, because I am not the only thing in the shop.

2) Bingo.

3) Should go without saying. You can buy stuff online for a discount, don't expect a business to install it for free. Works the same way in-shop as well. Buy everything you want. If you want it installed? We'll talk a deal on the parts and then charge a small labour fee. When I have six other customers waiting for my time, I cannot just do things for free. If you want to bite into someone else's time, that's fine, pay for it.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 12:46 Quote
any triathlete that walked in

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 13:07 Quote
most shops or the one I usually work in, depends on the mechanic jobs to exist, we are not going to do anything for free... well maybe a gears adjust for a friend who is a great customer and behaves well at the shop and if the shop is slow.

but still is the biggest income for most.

if we are going to change drivetrain components on a bike, we would charge the gear adjust in the total.

still, some people want stuff big stuff for free and now and that attitude is what would get a no, same thing than if a dickhead with superiority complex goes from behind a counter and treat you like shit. (Not for anyone on here, but apply for anything retail)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012714
Mobile Version of Website