New Status anyone have one

PB Forum :: Specialized
New Status anyone have one
Posted: Mar 15, 2023 at 9:37 Quote
302Scoutin wrote:
Have you ever hit a rock or root with your pedal going uphill when you're putting the power down? It's not at the top of the fun list for sure..... haha

On a local trail there is steep climbing section. It can be climbed fairly easy if you come in with speed, but there is rock in the middle and one time I clipped it with my crank one time and I lost my balance and my front wheel lifted and I fell backwards into a bush while still holding my bike, hands on the grips and feet on the pedals. I came out unscathed and had a good laugh, but still not on top of my fun list as you said lol

Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 15:38 Quote
I want to buy one, but I still can't decide on a size.

I'm 6'2" or 188cm. I thought I was set with the S4, since the geo chart shows it only to be slightly smaller in reach/stack compared to my previous bike.

However looking at the size chart is shows S5 can be used from anyone over 178cm or 5'10". S4 looks like I'd be sizing down significantly, however I like the idea of the shorter reach with the shorter chainstays for a fun bike, but don't want to feel too small

I really could go either way I guess, and I can't sit on the bikes because my local shops only have s2 and s3

Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 15:49 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I want to buy one, but I still can't decide on a size.

I'm 6'2" or 188cm. I thought I was set with the S4, since the geo chart shows it only to be slightly smaller in reach/stack compared to my previous bike.

However looking at the size chart is shows S5 can be used from anyone over 178cm or 5'10". S4 looks like I'd be sizing down significantly, however I like the idea of the shorter reach with the shorter chainstays for a fun bike, but don't want to feel too small

I really could go either way I guess, and I can't sit on the bikes because my local shops only have s2 and s3

In case you have long legs / short torso get S4 maybe, otherwise S5

I'm 184 on S4 (140), long legs short torso, however I enjoy slightly longer front end due to stability.

current reach 490, previous reach was 450, it is definitely harder to spin 180, however easier to x-up to jumps at the bike park at the higher speed

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 17:01 Quote
I’m 6’2” and had the S4 160. Fit me really well. I liked the shorter reach than my previous bike. If the chainstays were about 10mm longer, I would’ve kept it.

Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 19:02 Quote
6’1” here and happy on an S4 with 50mm stem.

Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 20:31 Quote
A shop about a half hour from me had the Status 140 in S4 and S5. I sat on them for a while and rode both quickly around the parking lot. Like I thought, I'm in between sizes and could go either way, one being a slightly small and one being slightly big.

The more I think about it, the more confused I get with paralysis by analysis, but I left the shop leaning towards the S5 fairly heavily.

The S4 felt like it was more fun on flat ground, but felt like it might be a little small feeling on gnarlier trails at speed. S5 felt more versatile, like a race bike that was still very maneuverable, which feels like the right size. I didn't feel off balance with the huge 515mm reach and short 426mm chainstays, I actually felt really centered in the bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 21:21 Quote
Don’t second guess yourself, go for the s5 then!

Humans are pretty adaptable anyway. It’s a fun bike, I’m sure you will love it.

Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 21:58 Quote
I just did! I ordered the S5 160 through that same shop (never been there before today). $2400 after tax. Super stoked. I was a little afraid of this bike feeling cheaply made or something, since it's been marketed to kids, but it looks/feels/rides like a more expensive bike. Quality and spec feels similar to a $3500 Commencal.

The S5 felt really good. I'm glad I went to a shop and test rode two different sizes, even tho they were the 140 and no the 160 I ordered. I would have ordered the S4 if I didn't test ride, and although I'd have been fine, I feel I'm much better off on the S5 for the type of riding I plan on doing this year

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2023 at 6:42 Quote
Nice. That’s pretty awesome for a price too - like complete bike you can ride right away. For comparison I paid about 1200 of your freedom dollars for just a frame.

Having had a lot more expensive bikes in the past, I would take a status with a decent bike vacation over some mid range SX equipped $5k carbon thing.

Posted: Mar 24, 2023 at 8:45 Quote
KrampaKiller wrote:
302Scoutin wrote:
Have you ever hit a rock or root with your pedal going uphill when you're putting the power down? It's not at the top of the fun list for sure..... haha

On a local trail there is steep climbing section. It can be climbed fairly easy if you come in with speed, but there is rock in the middle and one time I clipped it with my crank one time and I lost my balance and my front wheel lifted and I fell backwards into a bush while still holding my bike, hands on the grips and feet on the pedals. I came out unscathed and had a good laugh, but still not on top of my fun list as you said lol

Hahaha! That was a heck of a ride I'm sure! lol

Posted: Mar 24, 2023 at 9:04 Quote
I bought an S4 140 when it was $2600+tax and had DPX2 in early 2021. The proposition now, at $2400 out the door and with a FloatX is seriously hard to beat. But then again, who knows the future, and I would have missed out on two years of great memories with friends, riding Downieville, Santa Cruz, getting fit lugging its fat ass up steep climbs, etc, etc.

Posted: Mar 24, 2023 at 10:00 Quote
Ridiculous deal. I was looking at other bikes too but this was too cheap to pass up. After riding the 140 I knew I had to grab the 160.

Posted: Mar 24, 2023 at 11:09 Quote
ultimatist wrote:
I bought an S4 140 when it was $2600+tax and had DPX2 in early 2021. The proposition now, at $2400 out the door and with a FloatX is seriously hard to beat. But then again, who knows the future, and I would have missed out on two years of great memories with friends, riding Downieville, Santa Cruz, getting fit lugging its fat ass up steep climbs, etc, etc.

Two years of riding was definitely worth the cost difference. Luckily?! i was healing up from a crash and was healed up in time for the spesh sale last month. Been loving my status 140.

Posted: Mar 24, 2023 at 12:43 Quote
Yes. $200 for 2 years of smiles is a steal!!

Posted: Apr 1, 2023 at 11:54 Quote
Built up my second Status 160 the other day, Couldn't pass up the sale
Not sure what to upgrade next, Has anybody swapped the air shaft to convert the fork to 170mm?

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011404
Mobile Version of Website