2015 Giant Glory 27,5

PB Forum :: Giant
2015 Giant Glory 27,5
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 0:36 Quote
can be the headset in my opinion

gabe250 wrote:
Has anybody had problems with cracked giant glory 2016 aluminum frames? Just got a demo bike on sale, and whenever make turns at low speeds I hear a faint cracking noise. I’m not sure if it’s the maestro rear suspension bearings or the frame is just cracked in a place I can’t see it. I’ve had the bike for about a week and I’ve checked over the frame multiple times and I can’t find any cracks.

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
Yeah it wont be your frame.

These frames rarely break but when they do, they crack at the underside of the top tube/ seat tube junction.

I also cracked my headtube but I was running my fork really high with a reach adjusting headset, though.

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 5:00 Quote
gabe250 wrote:
Has anybody had problems with cracked giant glory 2016 aluminum frames? Just got a demo bike on sale, and whenever make turns at low speeds I hear a faint cracking noise. I’m not sure if it’s the maestro rear suspension bearings or the frame is just cracked in a place I can’t see it. I’ve had the bike for about a week and I’ve checked over the frame multiple times and I can’t find any cracks.

Much more likely to be the "linkages".

Likely not even a "bad bearing". Probably one of the main, lower, linkage bolts needs to be torqued properly.

If you are handy, a great idea is to pull apart the links, pop off the bearing seals, spin them and re-grease them with a good, thick grease. Not only will it keep you from needing a bearing job sooner, you'll identify any real bad bearings - unlikely unless the owner likes to spray wash his bikes. Bearings are packed with a minimal amount of light grease from bearing makers so they spin fast with minimal resistance. Bearings in suspension don't need to spin fast. They need a heavy, thick grease. I like the stuff SRAM use to suggest for Boxxer maintenance. Something like P900 "Military grease", the red stuff. Cheap and works great.

It's not complicated at all. Just remember the orientation and placement of the bushings - they slip in between the bearings/frame on the lower links. If its something you are not use to, start with the easy ones on the upper shock mounting link. You'll get the hang of it.

This winter I did a bearing job on my 2015 Glory. I had a massive amount of wet miles on that bike. Only a few of the bearings needed replacing - the lower link bearings IIRC, and it's possible I could have got another season or so out of them, but I had the kit and bearing tool, so.... Been riding over 25 years and almost never wet wash / spray my bikes. A small brush/broom and a rag is all my bikes will see. I didn't end up replace most of the smaller bearings.

I get 2 season passes to 2 mountains and do a lot of DH and can't believe how well this frame performs and has held up. Say what you will about Giant, but they make a good frame.

Only yesterday I noticed a creak coming from my Giant Trance frame. Narrowed it down to the main lower link pivot. Problem was it was "over torqued". I did do a bearing check - popped all the seals and did notice the bearings definitely needed grease. But the creak only turned out to be the lower rear pivot bolt was _too_ tight.

Watch out though - when pulling apart the links I did have one of the link washers/bushings drop on the floor and roll off and hide on me. Took like an hour to find the darn thing. Had to recruit my son's better eyes to help find it.

Good luck.

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 5:13 Quote
five-10 wrote:
Yeah it wont be your frame.

These frames rarely break but when they do, they crack at the underside of the top tube/ seat tube junction.

I also cracked my headtube but I was running my fork really high with a reach adjusting headset, though.

I like my Glory so much I'm thinking about picking up a second used frame.

You think they are relatively a safe bet to pick up used? I know mine has held up well..

Have much experience with the carbon frames? How are they in terms of durability compared to the aluminum?

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 6:55 Quote
A second hand one would probably be fine. The carbon ones are less durable, I have seen a few broken ones.

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
Its most likely bottom bracket or headset that needs tightening. My headset is very finicky with proper torque and grease. If linkage was loose you'd know right away the flex increase is crazy with loose bolts on these bikes.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
Giant Glory upgraded
Finally managed to upgrade the fork, as I wanted to from the beginning. Rides like a monster Big Grin

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 8:51 Quote
I picked up a 2015 Glory 2 a couple of weeks ago. Covid-19 boredom project bike. I'm having the frame stripped of it's paint and powder/clear coated. The frame has no dents, cracking, etc, but the paint was in really bad shape. Got a set of new tires, bearings, headset waiting on the frame to return from the shop. I'll post a photo once I get the frame back together.

photo

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 23:03 Quote
Here is my new new to me Glory 0 build. Removed all stock decals and paint, had the frame refinished and now waiting on new graphics from Slik. Will update when I receive them
photo

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 4:41 Quote
Nice.

That could be my bike.

I did the same thing to my Glory and Boxxer a few years ago. But left it all black.

Only thing that stands out on mine is the gold on the CC Double barrel.

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
MikerJ wrote:
Much more likely to be the "linkages".

Likely not even a "bad bearing". Probably one of the main, lower, linkage bolts needs to be torqued properly.

If you are handy, a great idea is to pull apart the links, pop off the bearing seals, spin them and re-grease them with a good, thick grease. Not only will it keep you from needing a bearing job sooner, you'll identify any real bad bearings - unlikely unless the owner likes to spray wash his bikes. Bearings are packed with a minimal amount of light grease from bearing makers so they spin fast with minimal resistance. Bearings in suspension don't need to spin fast. They need a heavy, thick grease. I like the stuff SRAM use to suggest for Boxxer maintenance. Something like P900 "Military grease", the red stuff. Cheap and works great.

It's not complicated at all. Just remember the orientation and placement of the bushings - they slip in between the bearings/frame on the lower links. If its something you are not use to, start with the easy ones on the upper shock mounting link. You'll get the hang of it.

This winter I did a bearing job on my 2015 Glory. I had a massive amount of wet miles on that bike. Only a few of the bearings needed replacing - the lower link bearings IIRC, and it's possible I could have got another season or so out of them, but I had the kit and bearing tool, so.... Been riding over 25 years and almost never wet wash / spray my bikes. A small brush/broom and a rag is all my bikes will see. I didn't end up replace most of the smaller bearings.

I get 2 season passes to 2 mountains and do a lot of DH and can't believe how well this frame performs and has held up. Say what you will about Giant, but they make a good frame.

Only yesterday I noticed a creak coming from my Giant Trance frame. Narrowed it down to the main lower link pivot. Problem was it was "over torqued". I did do a bearing check - popped all the seals and did notice the bearings definitely needed grease. But the creak only turned out to be the lower rear pivot bolt was _too_ tight.

Watch out though - when pulling apart the links I did have one of the link washers/bushings drop on the floor and roll off and hide on me. Took like an hour to find the darn thing. Had to recruit my son's better eyes to help find it.

Good luck.

What's the trick to getting the sleeved bearings at the top of the rear triangle out? My 2016 has some pretty serious paint chips on it, so I'm in the process of pulling it apart to prep it for paint stripping. That one set of bearings is giving me some issues and I'm not sure if there's a trick to them, or if I'm just being a little bit too gentle still.

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 14:12 Quote
I can't recall but I do have Giant's bearing removal/install kit. It made things pretty easy for me. Got it from a dealer going out of business for next to nothing.

Posted: Oct 3, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
Be careful that that there is a little ridge between the two bearings on the upper side of the rear triangle:

photo

You can't just push the bearings through the hole because you would rip out the ridge as well.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
Be careful that that there is a little ridge between the two bearings on the upper side of the triangle:

photo

You can't just push the bearings through the hole because you would rip out the ridge as well.

Thanks! After taking a closer look at the replacement bearings and sleeve I made the assumption that this is what was going on. Luckily I didn't try to force it too much on my first couple attempts! Managed to get them started by using a vice and a socket that was small enough to pass through the bearing, but big enough to push the sleeve through with the opposite bearing.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
Hm..the Glory has been removed from the current full suspension bike category on the US Giant website:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension

I wonder if that means a new 29'' DH bike coming soon or no more DH bikes from Giant.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018792
Mobile Version of Website