Powered by Outside

29" Street Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
29" Street Thread
Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 20:23 Quote
So I was trying to put together a 29er out of an Atomlab Trailking frame, but I sold it. So Im out. So its all up to Willy to build up his street 29er.

Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 20:53 Quote
Another one out, the joke was in the title. I'm surprised some of you have started. For commuting, it would be nice.

Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 21:10 Quote
It was never a joke to me. The trailking had great geo, and with a 465ATC it would sit at +10bb. But the rear end was super short so I was having a hard time finding a tire that would clear.

ed: maybe if dialeddoberman gets another grant from his school he could pursue this. It would be interesting to see Mattty make a custom 29er street frame, scalloped bb and all.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 21:33 Quote
Yeah I just wouldn't go there at all. Tried a 29er at the bowl. A) tires are actually too big to transition. B) Steering is both twitchy and slow. Although that could have been the 25 inch bars.

Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 22:23 Quote
R-trailking-S wrote:
Yeah I just wouldn't go there at all. Tried a 29er at the bowl. A) tires are actually too big to transition. B) Steering is both twitchy and slow. Although that could have been the 25 inch bars.

Very confused Very confused Very confused

ed: and yes, I want to go there. I want to go there, check in on FB, instagram all the pictures i take, tweet about it, and write emails to all my friends while Im there. Or whattever it is people do when they "go there".

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 22:45 Quote
I though it was a good idea till i tried it. maybe I have just spent too much time on good 26s to try a race oriented 29er

Posted: Jul 22, 2012 at 0:07 Quote
So you tried it with a normal 29er frame? super low bb, long cs and long tt?

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2012 at 0:28 Quote
pretty much. But it need some major overhaulin, unlike 26 xc bike. the cs being that long, was ridiculous. TT was fine.

Main problem though was how it handled transitions. Felt more like hitting a wall at a really weird nose first angle. Normal turns felt like I was going twenty. about 7 ft radius walls and maybe 3 ft radius turns? terrible. Maybe a shorter wheelbase would help a lot.

Posted: Jul 22, 2012 at 0:59 Quote
Thats what Im saying. Stuff 29er wheels on a 26 and bam. 29er geo is off for a street/ park bike. I do think that it would feel much different tho. But thats what i would like to do.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2012 at 1:21 Quote
Well if you did what dd did, you would still have 15.25 chainstays. If you lengthened a trailking somehow, it would still be 16 inch chainstays. Which isn't too bad. but to clear your foot you would need at least a 22.75 toptube, to bar it comfortably 23.25 plus. assuming you kept travel the same and increased a2c.

Posted: Jul 22, 2012 at 1:40 Quote
No travel. Rigid. By my calculations, i could have fit a 29X1.8 tire in the rear. The TK does have a 22.8TT and I dont bar. But its too late now, just shipped that frame out thursday to someone here on PB.

Posted: Jul 22, 2012 at 10:40 Quote
to be fair skateparks are designed usually for bmxs and skateboards, the bigger wheel of a 29er needs a bigger transition, which is why it felt like ass.

Posted: Jul 22, 2012 at 13:41 Quote
Yeah, the frame of the 29er would be awkward as f*ck.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2012 at 14:03 Quote
Well, that is the skate park I ride most of the time. The dirt jumps here aren't much bigger than that other than terry hershey, so a 29er street bike would literally be stuck in my streets-- assuming I could find stairsets wide enough to clear those tires and ledges high enough to grind on.

Posted: Jul 22, 2012 at 20:44 Quote
All willy needs is a fork. Amirite?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008350
Mobile Version of Website