PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Mod
Posted: May 17, 2024 at 13:08 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Clear gorilla tape will get it done.

I didn't know such a thing existed!

I already love gorilla tape for tubeless tape (haters incoming in 3, 2 ,1). I'll have to check out thier clear tape for frame protection.
hater here. gorilla tape works phenomenally as tubeless tape, as its thick but conforms well, sticky and cheap BUT i am lazy and dont like spending lots of time removing it, so its TESA 4289 for me

Posted: May 17, 2024 at 13:31 Quote
No, no. Clear gorilla tape is poor man’s invisiframe. Tesa tape is far and away the choice for tubeless.
Ah missed the previous comment, agreed, not my favorite either but totally serviceable and a lot more accessible.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2024 at 10:07 Quote
I keep cracking my clipless shoes right around the cleat area usually after about a year of use. Usually a bit of wear in that area from the pedals rubbing.

Bigger guy and aggressive riding.

I have seen metal shims used to space out the cleat from the shoe but wonder if they may help spread the load out over a larger area and keep the sole from cracking and any wear to the metal plate instead of the shoe.

Posted: May 19, 2024 at 10:12 Quote
Fatty. I keed! I don’t think it could hurt really? Is it just a certain pedal that keeps doing it? Is it the pedal’s fault?

O+
Posted: May 19, 2024 at 12:00 Quote
Happened on xt trail and nukeproof horizon. Maybe switching to a saint might help

Happened with 1 pair of Giro chamber 2 and 2 pairs of shimano me7

Posted: May 19, 2024 at 14:30 Quote
I’d say go for the steel spacer first. Defo the cheapest/easiest solution.

Posted: May 21, 2024 at 12:53 Quote
Hello,
Bought this old fox 36, guy didn't send the axle. Are there any places that sell axles for such old models ? Or is secondhand my only option? (I think it's an 07).
So far when I tried searching for axles for 36s I only find ones listed as compatible with 2015 and onwards.

photo

Thanks

Posted: May 21, 2024 at 12:59 Quote
Phil-31 wrote:
Hello,
Bought this old fox 36, guy didn't send the axle. Are there any places that sell axles for such old models ? Or is secondhand my only option? (I think it's an 07).
So far when I tried searching for axles for 36s I only find ones listed as compatible with 2015 and onwards.

Thanks

Should be fairly straight forward to measure the diameter and the length and find a match, but if not then you can either give Fox a call or try the Robert Axle Project.

I hope that helps.

Posted: May 21, 2024 at 14:04 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:

Should be fairly straight forward to measure the diameter and the length and find a match, but if not then you can either give Fox a call or try the Robert Axle Project.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, but my main issue is going to be finding a place to buy one. I know it should be a 20x100mm, but i don't know the specifics of its shape / threading. Your website seems to only know about modern 15mm axles unfortunately.

Posted: May 21, 2024 at 16:20 Quote
For what it’s worth, I think that’s a 2005.

Risse Racing does a lot of vintage stuff. This may be the part.

https://risseracing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=555

Posted: May 22, 2024 at 4:45 Quote
Swapped bearings on my 350s hub a few weeks ago, and noticed today that bearings already feel notchy. Punched out the NDS to check which bearing it is and noticed that neither of them are bad, just that the bearing preload was really high.

Given the hub was correctly preloaded and spun freely before installing it in the frame, what could have caused the overloading?
I don’t think over tightening the thru-axle would do it, cause the steps on the hub axle should stop it compressing the bearings

Posted: May 22, 2024 at 6:39 Quote
riish wrote:
Swapped bearings on my 350s hub a few weeks ago, and noticed today that bearings already feel notchy. Punched out the NDS to check which bearing it is and noticed that neither of them are bad, just that the bearing preload was really high.

Given the hub was correctly preloaded and spun freely before installing it in the frame, what could have caused the overloading?
I don’t think over tightening the thru-axle would do it, cause the steps on the hub axle should stop it compressing the bearings
sounds like you probably either forgot a spacer or more likely didn’t press a bearing in all the way.

Posted: May 22, 2024 at 8:43 Quote
Spacers are all in according to the diagram, could have been a bearing that didn’t go in all the way. The axle should have lateral play in it if that was the case though…

Posted: May 22, 2024 at 9:02 Quote
Another thought, are they angular contact bearings?

If so, you might have put one in backwards.

Posted: May 22, 2024 at 12:29 Quote
Nah, 6902’s are radial contact bearings, and the correct seal (red side) is facing outwards on both.
I’ll take it for a ride and see if the preload has increased again after that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041317
Mobile Version of Website