Powered by Outside

Giant glory 00 - broken frame

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant glory 00 - broken frame
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 at 10:40 Quote
It's not a guarantee that any of them will or will not break. The 2010 and 2011 and possibly the 2012 are prone to cracking just under the seat and top tube junction because of a design flaw. It could also be how much you weight and how hard you ride.

Posted: Oct 25, 2012 at 10:43 Quote
judgerider348 wrote:
It's not a guarantee that any of them will or will not break. The 2010 and 2011 and possibly the 2012 are prone to cracking just under the seat and top tube junction because of a design flaw. It could also be how much you weight and how hard you ride.
To be honest, I think it was just a few bad batches (frames are made in large quantities so it could be a few thousand frames) I rail mine and it's been great.

FL
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 at 17:10 Quote
casch83 wrote:
does anyone know if it breaks even the 2011 model dark gray?
Mine did

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 at 0:21 Quote
giant if it breaks 2010 2011 2012 replace with 2013!
2010 at 3 year guaranteed and 11/12/13
5 year guaranteed

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 at 1:20 Quote
I'd like to know whether they've properly resolved the issue for 2013 - a slacker uncrackable* glory would be an insanely good bike!

*obviously not truly uncrackable, but you know what I mean!

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 at 23:55 Quote
I love her and I bought the second glory if it breaks me I hope they change it with a 2013

Posted: Dec 5, 2012 at 13:57 Quote
streetparkrider wrote:
phillywa wrote:
streetparkrider wrote:
on defects.. not on abuse and wear/riding. give it a shot though you got nothing to lose.
its a giant glory, there designed to take abuse Big Grin
i know.. probly since its a recent frame theyll hook you up.. but i have a 2005 giant dh comp.. its lifetime warranty and i broke it couple weeks ago... they wudnt replcae the swingarm because its wear and abuse from riding and not a defect.

Facepalm yeah but they probably couldnt replace cause they dont make the swingarm anymore coz they stopped making that bike

Posted: Jun 22, 2013 at 8:03 Quote
Mine cracked there to. Not as bad as this one but in the same spot.

FL
Posted: Aug 5, 2013 at 13:01 Quote
Happened to mine recently also...
Contacted Giant to see what they can do, because it's an obvious manufacture problem!
Just have to wait and see!
photo

Posted: Aug 5, 2013 at 13:33 Quote
@angusemclarty.
I bought my glory 2nd had from a bike shop employee and it cracked in the same spot. The bike shop this guy worked at happened to deal with giant, I brought the frame in and the took pictures of the crack, sent them into giant and within 45 mins they said that was a crack indeed, giant sent me a 2013 giant glory 00 frame when I had a 2011 glory 1! There pretty good with that man. Just contact your dealer they should deff help. Cheers man

O+
Posted: Aug 30, 2013 at 5:33 Quote
Has anyone broken one clean apart? Mine is cracked in the same location. But hasn't been getting any worse. Not even sure how long it been cracked. I'm not concerned if I don't ride like a jackass but that's what these rigs are for!!! Making hacks look like they know what they are doin!

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 at 7:19 Quote
Hi
I do not own a Glory but a Faith from 2010 / 2011 and seems that both have the same problem.
I am now on my second Faith frame and this one is developing the same crack as the first one on the bottom side of the seat tube and top tube weld.
It seems that the L size is more prone to this problem.
As somebody mentioned previously it is the way main rocker acts on the front triangle when the suspension is fully bottomed.
But the problem is that in my case, first and second frame lasted each 1,5 year before crack appeared and every frame had aprox. 15 days of bike park ride.
As far as I can see they did not change much if anything on the 2012 and 2013 models.

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 at 11:48 Quote
I had a large 2010 and have a medium 2013 and both have been fine.

I disagree with the rocker link under compression theory, that would compress the weld. Not stretch it.

Posted: Oct 5, 2013 at 11:00 Quote
I agree that the rocker link it not streching the weld.

The thing that is happening is that the force in the main rocker link is causing a bending moment that is effecting the weld joint of the ST and TT.
The force in the rocker link main pivot is trying to "fold" the ST towards the TT in shock compression.
The weld itself is not cracking but the heat-affected zone (HAZ) of the weld both of the ST and TT,

This rocker theory is very plausible and can be sketched showing what is happening.

But aside the mechanics, the weight of the rider has a huge impact.

I am not a light guy (6,1 foot and 200lb with full gear), but i have chosen and using the Faith as a heavy duty AM bike because of this, never used it for DH race, no hucking, I go in bike park once a year, and that is it.

FL
Posted: Oct 5, 2013 at 20:05 Quote
Not sure the rider weight makes that much of a difference, I'm 65 kg and I've cracked two glorys.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029433
Mobile Version of Website