Powered by Outside

Bent chainring or bent spindle?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Bent chainring or bent spindle?
Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 16:59 Quote
Ok, threads are a locking mechanism, they should not come loose if they are in good shape but if they are stretched or have crap on them they may not work properly. Remember that the pinch bolt gets tightened AFTER the other bolt is completely tightened. A little bit of anti seize can help or if that does not then a thread locking compound like locktight may be what you need. Paint or nail polish will act as a weak thread locker.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 23:28 Quote
ricar wrote:
Ok, threads are a locking mechanism, they should not come loose if they are in good shape but if they are stretched or have crap on them they may not work properly. Remember that the pinch bolt gets tightened AFTER the other bolt is completely tightened. A little bit of anti seize can help or if that does not then a thread locking compound like locktight may be what you need. Paint or nail polish will act as a weak thread locker.

Okay thanks

Posted: Oct 29, 2014 at 12:23 Quote
ricar wrote:

Exactly. Yes, I have heard of people using lock-tight. But, as you said, that is for a situation where they are already in good shape.

I have seen where a crank arm repeatedly coming loose was due to a bent spindle.

Posted: Oct 29, 2014 at 13:14 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
ricar wrote:

Exactly. Yes, I have heard of people using lock-tight. But, as you said, that is for a situation where they are already in good shape.

I have seen where a crank arm repeatedly coming loose was due to a bent spindle.

Just wondering, is there a way to check if my spindle is bent?

Posted: Oct 29, 2014 at 15:06 Quote
THATdjGuy wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:
ricar wrote:

Just wondering, is there a way to check if my spindle is bent?

Take your cranks off and remove the spindle from the bike. Then roll it across the floor and watch for wobbles. ; )

Posted: Oct 29, 2014 at 23:26 Quote
Thanks i will try that this weekend

Posted: Nov 8, 2014 at 16:18 Quote
sorry i didnt get to it earlier but...

i put the bb bearing in and checked the spindle and it isnt bent, i moved the sproket bolt over to the next space and the sproket only wobbles like 1-2mm which is good and i havent been able to check if the cranks comes loose but i put some nail polish on it to help it hold.

Posted: Nov 9, 2014 at 19:46 Quote
Clear nail polish does work just so you know. I did steal some off my sister years ago and pink does work as well as clear.

Posted: Nov 9, 2014 at 22:00 Quote
I stole some weird expensive looking stuff from my sister and it is holding up pretty well so yeah

Posted: Nov 10, 2014 at 22:40 Quote
i went for a ride yesterday and the cranks didnt come loose so every thing is working fine now. thanks everyone for your help

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.401979
Mobile Version of Website