Powered by Outside

Thread of political debate and discussion

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Thread of political debate and discussion
Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 20:43 Quote
Just don't go spoutin off shit that ain't conducive to the discussion, okay? Wink

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 21:07 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Really interesting video.
Wow... great video.

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 21:33 Quote

that's very interesting, everyone needs to see this

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 21:34 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:

that's very interesting, everyone needs to see this

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 21:47 Quote
That video is definitely eye opening. It certainly gives me another part to my opinion, but I still believe there is a large issue with systemized racism being carried out. None of us know exactly what happened though, so this is all being carried out by our opinion formed on the evidence provided, and that is important to remember when trying to have a civilized discussion.

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 21:49 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
That video is definitely eye opening. It certainly gives me another part to my opinion, but I still believe there is a large issue with systemized racism being carried out. None of us know exactly what happened though, so this is all being carried out by our opinion formed on the evidence provided, and that is important to remember when trying to have a civilized discussion.
Do you even know what "systemized racism" means?

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 21:52 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ethan991 wrote:

Racism that is institutionalized in the current social system creating disparities of quality of life based on one's skin color. Am I missing anything?

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 21:53 Quote
ethan991 wrote:

A lot of the racism is based out of trying to protect one's own life as a police officer. Knowing a black male in a low income neighborhood is whatever percentage more likely to cause trouble with a cop, it's likely they will be more cautious with such an individual is an area like that. It's important to remember these guys want to go home to see their families at night so they're willing to use caution like that. (not talking about Sterling case because no one knows exactly what happened). A lot of America's racism is based on stuff like that, not necessarily judging just by another person's skin.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 21:58 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
ethan991 wrote:

A lot of the racism is based out of trying to protect one's own life as a police officer. Knowing a black male in a low income neighborhood is whatever percentage more likely to cause trouble with a cop, it's likely they will be more cautious with such an individual is an area like that. It's important to remember these guys want to go home to see their families at night so they're willing to use caution like that. (not talking about Sterling case because no one knows exactly what happened). A lot of America's racism is based on stuff like that, not necessarily judging just by another person's skin.

Do you know why that black male is more likely to commit a crime? Racism, in it's nature is judging by one's skin tone or ethnicity. Minorities are in low income neighborhoods mostly because of racism. This violence comes from somewhere, and that is what is important to address. It has been a part of our society long enough that it is not so much a conscious though as it is a way of seeing the world, which can make it almost more dangerous. I'd recommend reading this article, whether it changes anyone's viewpoint or not, just to learn a bit more on where this all came from. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 21:59 Quote
Every single human being alive judges books by their cover to a certain extent, for protection, for understanding, and for making decisions.Nothing wrong with it in moderation.

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 22:03 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:
ethan991 wrote:

Do you know why that black male is more likely to commit a crime? Racism, in it's nature is judging by one's skin tone or ethnicity. Minorities are in low income neighborhoods mostly because of racism. This violence comes from somewhere, and that is what is important to address. It has been a part of our society long enough that it is not so much a conscious though as it is a way of seeing the world, which can make it almost more dangerous. I'd recommend reading this article, whether it changes anyone's viewpoint or not, just to learn a bit more on where this all came from. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

You do understand that there is a nuanced difference between racism and systemized racism?

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 22:03 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ethan991 wrote:

Racism that is institutionalized in the current social system creating disparities of quality of life based on one's skin color. Am I missing anything?
1. The word you're looking for is "systemic".
2. No, racism is not institutionalized. There is no police department or precinct which condones racism. There is no grand conspiracy among law enforcement on any level to permit racist actions.
3. Racism, for all intents and purposes, is extinct. Are there still some people running around saying black people are monkeys... sure, there's stupid people that say all kinds of stupid shit. But, as it pertains to life in this country, a black man today has every bit as much opportunity and more in many cases than a white man. That it's perhaps more important for a black man to make sure his actions can't be misconstrued as threatening when dealing with police isn't racism, it's a symptom of the reality that black people shoot more people than white people and generally commit more crimes than other races. Cops aren't being racist for exercising more caution in those situations. I work in IT... old people make more stupid mistakes than other people. Assuming that a complaint about a broken computer from the 60 year old lady down the hall is more likely to be user error than if that same complaint game from the 30 year old dorky guy isn't ageism... it's a matter of statistical probability. When I went to college, my grades would've got me into a better school had I been black... and I would've been eligible for a whole bunch of financial assistance that I wasn't because I was upper middle class white kid instead of poor and black. The opportunities are there. Even beyond college. One of my best buddies is hood as f*ck with two gold teeth, from Louisiana, and is named Shilowe... pretty much everything about him is as nonwhite as you can get. But he's one of the hardest working people I've ever known and started working as a "shop boy" cleaning up after mechanics at a diesel shop. He worked harder than everyone else, took advantage of training and opportunities for advancement and now 20 years later is the managing mechanic and just bought a brand new Mercedes. He pays to put his daughter in private school and raises her to be intelligent, proud, and polite... and for this I'm proud of him while so many of our other black friends openly call him an "Uncle Tom" for not being black enough... because I guess hard work and good parenting is too white for our old hood friends who still spend weekends drinking 40's? The racism that exists today is the racism from black people towards black people, holding themselves back through their actions and their choices. Whitey isn't holding anyone back today.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 22:05 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:

You do understand that there is a nuanced difference between racism and systemized racism?

Yes, that article explains the institutionalized or systemic or whatever racism I'm talking about, and much better than I could.

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 22:10 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
Incorrect... they're in those low income neighborhoods because of their income. Their income is low because they prioritize things other than earning and saving. There's a reason "hood rich" is part of the american lexicon, because there's truth to it. When I was a kid, I lived with my mom in CT and we were poor as shit. Live right around the corner from Father Panik Village in Brigeport. You're probably a bit too young to understand just how hood that is but I speak from experience. By the time I was in high school my mom had put herself through nursing school, got a bachelors degree from Yale and shit was better. In that same time span, none of her friends did the same despite being eligible for far more financial aid and needing to incur much less debt to have done the same. When I got out of high school, I had f*cked off four years and had to take four AP classes and get A's just to graduate, which I did. But I didn't get a single scholarship offer and my parents weren't willing to pay for my school... So I worked two jobs, 16-18 hours most days and slept about 3 hours a day for years to put myself through school going at night on the few days I had only one job to work. I had loads of black friends... only one, the one I mentioned in my last post, matched my work and has matched my success. The rest are still where we were 15 years ago smoking blunts, drinking 40's, working shitty jobs they hate, renting shitty apartments in low income areas.

Today, more than ever in history... life is the choices you make, not the color of your skin.

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 at 22:34 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ethan991 wrote:
Incorrect... they're in those low income neighborhoods because of their income. Their income is low because they prioritize things other than earning and saving. There's a reason "hood rich" is part of the american lexicon, because there's truth to it. When I was a kid, I lived with my mom in CT and we were poor as shit. Live right around the corner from Father Panik Village in Brigeport. You're probably a bit too young to understand just how hood that is but I speak from experience. By the time I was in high school my mom had put herself through nursing school, got a bachelors degree from Yale and shit was better. In that same time span, none of her friends did the same despite being eligible for far more financial aid and needing to incur much less debt to have done the same. When I got out of high school, I had f*cked off four years and had to take four AP classes and get A's just to graduate, which I did. But I didn't get a single scholarship offer and my parents weren't willing to pay for my school... So I worked two jobs, 16-18 hours most days and slept about 3 hours a day for years to put myself through school going at night on the few days I had only one job to work. I had loads of black friends... only one, the one I mentioned in my last post, matched my work and has matched my success. The rest are still where we were 15 years ago smoking blunts, drinking 40's, working shitty jobs they hate, renting shitty apartments in low income areas.

Today, more than ever in history... life is the choices you make, not the color of your skin.

That is quite cool, aside from the idiots who waste away those opportunities and slack of, anyways.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.201310
Mobile Version of Website