2018 RM Instinct

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Instinct
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 5:03 Quote
CONomad wrote:

Did you make any progress on this? I'm pulling the trigger on a super sale instinct and wanna put a 160 36 coil converted by push Industries on the front. I'm running an xl so figure it won't effect the head angle much and should maintain the business in the back but give me the party in the front I'm needing, also at 100kg the 34 has just never been stout enough for me.

photo

I've put on mine normaln Instinct a Fox 36 GRIP2 with 160mm of travel and 44mm offset. The feel is spot on, it works great.
Doesn't affect the handling that much and the climbing is maybe 5% harder, but I barely notice it.

FL
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 15:28 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
For anyone interested, I just fitted an offset bushing to my 2018 Instinct BC edition and it dropped the BB height by 5-6mm. Will report back on how it rides after the weekend.

This worked great...bike feels more stable and composed in rough terrain.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 16:18 Quote
How wide of a tire could fit on this bike in both 29 and 27.5? Wondering if 2.6-2.8 will fit? Thanks

Posted: Nov 1, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
I think 29x2.5 or 27.5x2.8 will fit, but just a guess. Not sure about 27.5x3.0, but 2.6-2.8 should.

My Altitude will fit 2.6-2.8, and it is designed for 27.5x2.4-2.5

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 12:35 Quote
GA shop on YouTube claims they ran 29 x 2.8 with no issues, but i forget which tire they used.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 15:46 Quote
My mistake. Went back and watched it again. Was a Thunderbolt BC. 27.5 x 2.8 worked great according to the shop.

I’m running 2.6 on my Instinct BC and its fine

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2018 at 17:43 Quote
Can anyone tell me what the BB height is on Instinct BC edition?

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2018 at 14:45 Quote
BB on my large is about 345mm. The BC is just a lifted regular Instinct, but the BB is pretty normal once your sitting on the bike with 30-35% sag in the DPX2

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 7:15 Quote
Stenimir wrote:
CONomad wrote:

Did you make any progress on this? I'm pulling the trigger on a super sale instinct and wanna put a 160 36 coil converted by push Industries on the front. I'm running an xl so figure it won't effect the head angle much and should maintain the business in the back but give me the party in the front I'm needing, also at 100kg the 34 has just never been stout enough for me.

photo

I've put on mine normaln Instinct a Fox 36 GRIP2 with 160mm of travel and 44mm offset. The feel is spot on, it works great.
Doesn't affect the handling that much and the climbing is maybe 5% harder, but I barely notice it.

Curious about the Mini BC. What did you end up running for an better rear shock?

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 12:58 Quote
I have a custom 140mm Instinct with a Fox 36 Grip2 upfront at 150mm on XL frame. I'm running a DPX2 in back and Ride9 pos3. So far its great, tho I'm having to get a little forward on the saddle more than I'd like on steeper climbs. I'm considering moving to Ride9 pos7 or 9 to get some reach back as well as steeper STA along with moving the seat forward and more forward tilt.

I think my HTA will be at roughly 66.5 and BB drop will be right about 20mm (ride9 pos9) along with a 75d HTA. I'm a little worried about the BB getting a little high but I'll have to try it out more (its winter so...).

Anyone have any other ideas on adjustments? I sometimes think that doing all that and then putting in an angle set headset .5 degrees to slacken HTA out to 66degrees and drop the BB down to 24mm would be cool...but it seems like a lot of work for maybe minimal gains.

Also I noticed the new Scott Ransom has a stock BB drop thats only like 23 or so for its "low" position so maybe having around 20mm isn't so bad.

Any thoughts or ideas? Otherwise loving the bike ALOT...just bored with the rains and trails closed up Smile .

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 14:15 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
I have a custom 140mm Instinct with a Fox 36 Grip2 upfront at 150mm on XL frame. I'm running a DPX2 in back and Ride9 pos3. So far its great, tho I'm having to get a little forward on the saddle more than I'd like on steeper climbs. I'm considering moving to Ride9 pos7 or 9 to get some reach back as well as steeper STA along with moving the seat forward and more forward tilt.

I think my HTA will be at roughly 66.5 and BB drop will be right about 20mm (ride9 pos9) along with a 75d HTA. I'm a little worried about the BB getting a little high but I'll have to try it out more (its winter so...).

Anyone have any other ideas on adjustments? I sometimes think that doing all that and then putting in an angle set headset .5 degrees to slacken HTA out to 66degrees and drop the BB down to 24mm would be cool...but it seems like a lot of work for maybe minimal gains.

Also I noticed the new Scott Ransom has a stock BB drop thats only like 23 or so for its "low" position so maybe having around 20mm isn't so bad.

Any thoughts or ideas? Otherwise loving the bike ALOT...just bored with the rains and trails closed up Smile .

Good info. How does she handle? Significantly better than the stock version?

Curious if you have tried the BC edition too?

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 14:48 Quote
pdon wrote:
Svinyard wrote:

The bike is pretty unreal. Its 29lbs in an XL (I'm 6-4) with that big-ish suspension and 2.4/2.5 minion tires. I absolutely love it. Any limitations I've run into are purely my own lack of riding ability. Sometimes on super tight turns I wonder if 27.5 would be a bit nicer but then on everything else I'm having a blast. I haven't ever spent big time on a pure stock C70 but I do like the 150mm fork on it a bit better than the 140. On steep climbs tho I think 140mm might be better but that's the nice thing about the Ride9 is that you can tweak stuff and adjust.

I haven't tried the BC Edition tho it does seem like that the 140mm is the sweetheart. I don't ride big enough stuff to warrant the extra travel, especially on a 29er so I built it down to 140mm and overforked a bit.

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 15:04 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
pdon wrote:
Svinyard wrote:

The bike is pretty unreal. Its 29lbs in an XL (I'm 6-4) with that big-ish suspension and 2.4/2.5 minion tires. I absolutely love it. Any limitations I've run into are purely my own lack of riding ability. Sometimes on super tight turns I wonder if 27.5 would be a bit nicer but then on everything else I'm having a blast. I haven't ever spent big time on a pure stock C70 but I do like the 150mm fork on it a bit better than the 140. On steep climbs tho I think 140mm might be better but that's the nice thing about the Ride9 is that you can tweak stuff and adjust.

I haven't tried the BC Edition tho it does seem like that the 140mm is the sweetheart. I don't ride big enough stuff to warrant the extra travel, especially on a 29er so I built it down to 140mm and overforked a bit.

Killer man.

Sounds like you absolutely nailed it

Posted: Dec 4, 2018 at 11:03 Quote
I am hoping to demo an in stock RM Instinct im the coming weeks with intent on pulling the trigfer on this a Rallon or maybe a Ripmo. Just love the fact l can run 2 size wheels with the Instinct.

Does anyone know if they have updates to the line for ‘19 coming soon or maybe RM doesn’t go by annual update.

Posted: Dec 4, 2018 at 11:19 Quote
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:
I am hoping to demo an in stock RM Instinct im the coming weeks with intent on pulling the trigfer on this a Rallon or maybe a Ripmo. Just love the fact l can run 2 size wheels with the Instinct.

Does anyone know if they have updates to the line for ‘19 coming soon or maybe RM doesn’t go by annual update.

Looks like that bike entirely carried over for 2019. Same paint jobs with a few component tweaks.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009076
Mobile Version of Website