Powered by Outside

Newest Tallboy vs. last gen ?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Newest Tallboy vs. last gen ?
Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 7:39 Quote
Quick off topic question - are the Maxxis tires now coming with the white logo instead of the yellow? I haven't had to buy any for a long time and I was going to black out the Santa Cruz on the downtube but kinda liking the white with all the white on tires. Even though they say both color options are trimmed in gypsum, it looks much more white on the black frame then it does on the ivory frame. Thanks.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 9:00 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Need a good close up in the sun. Haha

Thanks for the pics.

It definitely looks very sleek in the ebony/glossy black. Looks better in person. It's like a paint job on a black sports car.

I went with the ivory/white though. Has that almost 80s retro look that I couldn't resist. Some pics of that one that got me to pull the trigger:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCizfbhD5Ja/?igshid=ayvek7all9rr

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 11:00 Quote
bob-oso wrote:
z71silverado78 wrote:
Thank you! Now I can stop refreshing these forum pages every hour. Even an outside pic - perfect. I am ordering mine in ebony/black tomorrow.

Here's one more for the road:

photo
When I ordered mine they didn’t have the XO1 in stock but damn the photos look fantastic in person. Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 22:22 Quote
bob-oso wrote:
z71silverado78 wrote:
ryan-az wrote:
Sorry this is the main tallboy form I could find. I just picked mine up 2 days ago in ebony. My shop said they can do tire swaps for free. Any recommendations for the tallboy? I live in Phoenix and ride a lot of different stuff.

Can you post some pics? About to pull the trigger on ebony (now called glossy black) and want to see how it looks first. Thank you

photo

Heck yeah that color is great in the shop. New X01 is pretty sweet as well.
Fork QR lever really needs to be positioned better than that. Whomever ever built that tallboy needs to take it up a notch..

Posted: Jul 22, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
I’m super excited to get mine. Should be in this week or next.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2020 at 17:01 Quote
Does anyone know if the sizes/dimensions for the 2021 are the same as 2020? I want to order one of those downtube protectors ala RockGuardz, but they only have them for the 2020 models.

On that note, any recommendations for protection for the carbon frame?

Posted: Jul 22, 2020 at 17:08 Quote
I guess it depends on how protection you want, but I have installed 3 sets of Invisi frame and been happy with every one.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 11:56 Quote
On the bottom of the new tallboy there are 2 screws for a water bottle. Is there an extra downturn protector that Santa Cruz sells to protect this? Or is there a way to remove them and cover them with an ams protector for example.

Posted: Aug 9, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
Are you guys keeping the 2.3 dhf/dhr2 setup? I generally run 2.4 front, but curious what others are riding. I just ordered the tb4, riding in Phoenix. Kinda thinking 2.4 dhr2/2.3 aggressor, but could be convinced otherwise...

Posted: Aug 9, 2020 at 17:57 Quote
Mtully wrote:
Are you guys keeping the 2.3 dhf/dhr2 setup? I generally run 2.4 front, but curious what others are riding. I just ordered the tb4, riding in Phoenix. Kinda thinking 2.4 dhr2/2.3 aggressor, but could be convinced otherwise...
I’m absolutely the same. Ride in Phoenix, personally I’d recommend a 2.4 dhf then a 2.35 minion or aggressor. I like a double down casing in the rear because I ride dreamy draw a lot pretty aggressively.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018615
Mobile Version of Website