Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Canadian road trip

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Canadian road trip
FL
Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 1:55 Quote
We arrived back home yesterday.

What a great time we had!
I hope you guys can still appreciate how good the riding in BC is.

The tour with Tyax was the perfect ending of a crazy good biking adventure. (I highly recommend riding there!)

Again:
Thank you guys for realizing a perfect bike trip!

ps: hope you are not really paying 150$ for a Maxxis tire. Prizing for parts / spares in Whistler is on Abramowitsch level. I am aware that they rip off anyone who wasn't smart enough to pack spares, but more than double a realistic prize?! Seriously ?!

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 14:52 Quote
Glad to hear it!

And yes... Maxxis tires go for 130-145$ an end pretty much in every shop these days. Gotta know where to get a (slightly) better price.

firewalkwithme wrote:
We arrived back home yesterday.

What a great time we had!
I hope you guys can still appreciate how good the riding in BC is.

The tour with Tyax was the perfect ending of a crazy good biking adventure. (I highly recommend riding there!)

Again:
Thank you guys for realizing a perfect bike trip!

ps: hope you are not really paying 150$ for a Maxxis tire. Prizing for parts / spares in Whistler is on Abramowitsch level. I am aware that they rip off anyone who wasn't smart enough to pack spares, but more than double a realistic prize?! Seriously ?!

Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 1:01 Quote
Hi guys. I'm going to hijack this thread rather than start a new one, as my plans are similar. I'm not much of a forum dweller so apologies if that's not really the done thing (I don't know the rules).

Me: old bloke with some fitness and riding skill, nothing amazing though. Have done 1 BC roadie around 2015ish. Looking to do another next year. I have around 6 weeks. Love the slabs/roots/steep tech to about single black level but not much of a jumper (enjoy jumping but little ones only). For reference purposes, the Rockwork Orange/Korova Milk Bar/Wizard Burial Grounds in Whistler was about my favourite combo I have done and is around my difficulty limit. Looking for destinations with plenty of trails, goodly amount of steep techy riding. Nice scenery and bikepark/uplift a plus but not necessary.

I've done some research and have narrowed down potential destinations to:

Vancouver Island (Victoria, Duncan, Nanaimo, Cumberland)
Seymour/Fromme
Coquitlam/Eagle/Burke
Abbotsford/Chilliwack
Squamish
Whistler/Pemberton
Sunshine Coast
Revelstoke
Nelson
Fernie

Questions:

Given the riding I'm looking for, would you rate any of the above "don't bother"?
I was thinking July and early August. Is this timing best for being late enough so there's not too much snow high up, but early enough that places like Whistler aren't too torn up/brake bumpy?
Would Fernie, or the ferry accessed spots be enough time wasted in getting there to be not worth the bother?
Is roughly 8 destinations over 6 weeks about right to get a decent look at each?

Thanks heaps in advance for any advice. Feel free to ask questions to help with your suggestions.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 14:51 Quote
6 weeks is a damn good road trip. On your list, Vancouver Island on down to the Sunshine Coast destinations are all concentrated so there is never more than a half day travel so that makes it easy. The interior/kootenay destinations start to stretch out a bit, but 6 weeks allows you a lot of time for travel.

All of those destinations have good riding. I never think of Victoria as a riding destination, but it looks like The Dump has gotten some significant investment since I last rode there 20 years ago (obviously!).

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 18:54 Quote
I'd recommend adding a stop in Sun Peaks/Kamloops to your trip. You'll be driving right through there anyway if go from the coast or Whistler to Revelstoke. Sun Peaks Bike Park is awesome and has lots of fun steep tech. It's about 4 hours from Whistler/Pemberton to Sun Peaks (take the Duffy Lake/Highway 99 route) and then around 3 hours from Sun Peaks to Revy, so it's a good halfway point between those spots.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
Nelson is a 100% must do if you want steep tech (and a lot of it is on Trailforks which isn't true for some other places). I'll second Sun Peaks as well, probably the steepest tech trails in a bike park in Canada. Fernie actually has some nice steeps in their park as well as trails around they valley but it adds on a big drive from Nelson or Revy so I would skip it. Sunshine Coast is fun but not really steep or overly tech (official trails anyway). Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton are must do's obviously, Seymour/Fromme maybe one ride at each for some old school shore jank/woodwork flavour but again steep stuff not on the map, Burke is fun (Elevator/Deliverance are kinda steep) as well as Vedder in Chilliwack (Blackforest Ham and REFR).

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 3, 2022 at 12:44 Quote
You may also want to consider the cost of gas here - it is the most expensive in N. America. Currently around $2/L in Vancouver but was up around $2.50/L just a couple of months ago. Ferries just went up with a surcharge at the start of the month too, I believe.

You could also pop down to Bellingham to check out the scene at Galbraith (and fill up on relatively cheap gas). But then you have to deal the border crossing - which, as an international traveller could pose unnecessary headaches.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2022 at 8:24 Quote
HairyLummox wrote:
Hi guys. I'm going to hijack this thread rather than start a new one, as my plans are similar. I'm not much of a forum dweller so apologies if that's not really the done thing (I don't know the rules).

Me: old bloke with some fitness and riding skill, nothing amazing though. Have done 1 BC roadie around 2015ish. Looking to do another next year. I have around 6 weeks. Love the slabs/roots/steep tech to about single black level but not much of a jumper (enjoy jumping but little ones only). For reference purposes, the Rockwork Orange/Korova Milk Bar/Wizard Burial Grounds in Whistler was about my favourite combo I have done and is around my difficulty limit. Looking for destinations with plenty of trails, goodly amount of steep techy riding. Nice scenery and bikepark/uplift a plus but not necessary.

I've done some research and have narrowed down potential destinations to:

Vancouver Island (Victoria, Duncan, Nanaimo, Cumberland)
Seymour/Fromme
Coquitlam/Eagle/Burke
Abbotsford/Chilliwack
Squamish
Whistler/Pemberton
Sunshine Coast
Revelstoke
Nelson
Fernie

Questions:

Given the riding I'm looking for, would you rate any of the above "don't bother"?
I was thinking July and early August. Is this timing best for being late enough so there's not too much snow high up, but early enough that places like Whistler aren't too torn up/brake bumpy?
Would Fernie, or the ferry accessed spots be enough time wasted in getting there to be not worth the bother?
Is roughly 8 destinations over 6 weeks about right to get a decent look at each?

Thanks heaps in advance for any advice. Feel free to ask questions to help with your suggestions.

Looks like a good list.

If you are going off of trails that are visible on trailforks most of those zones will offer you good options that fit your parameters (though the Sunshine Coast has less steep tech on the map- you'll have to seek most of those out once you're done with BTS and maybe Sniper/Cheap Thrill (a nice 40 minute double lap after dinner or something)).

Consider adding Big White to the list if you are after lift access.

For a 6 week trip, you could knock off a lot of:

-Seymour/Fromme, Coquitlam/Eagle/Burke, Abbotsford/Chilliwack in a week-week and a half with a basecamp in Vancouver or on the Shore.

-Sunshine Coast- 2 days (one at Coast Gravity, the other pedaling/shuttling Roberts Creek)

-Island: a week/week and a half as well due to ferries and driving distances

- A few days in Squamish, Pemberton (some great tech there!) and Whistler each

- All your other stops could keep you very occupied for a few days or a week each (or for life...) as well!

You'll be able to do a lot with 6 weeks!

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 22:32 Quote
djyosh wrote:
You may also want to consider the cost of gas here - it is the most expensive in N. America. Currently around $2/L in Vancouver but was up around $2.50/L just a couple of months ago. Ferries just went up with a surcharge at the start of the month too, I believe.

You could also pop down to Bellingham to check out the scene at Galbraith (and fill up on relatively cheap gas). But then you have to deal the border crossing - which, as an international traveller could pose unnecessary headaches.
No offense dude, but saying "most expensive gas in North America" is kind of like saying "I'm the shortest man in my basketball team"! Ours is a little more expensive than yours (but not as bad as Europe). But I see what you're saying. I'm already wavering on Fernie due to driving time. Cost of gas may be another nail in Fernie's coffin.

Yes I've based my location ideas so far on places that look to have a good concentration of trails. As a foreigner with no guide, finding the good trails in a strange land will be the main issue. So trailforks will probably be my main source of info in that respect.

Just a clarification: when I said steep techy riding, I didn't mean I was looking for the steepest gnarliest trails out there. I just meant that for comparisons sake, I prefer steep/techy/rocky/rooty/rough over groomed/machine built/flow/bikepark jump trails. Old school North Shore jank easily fits within the parameters of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the replies guys, they've been helpful. Especially Quinn with your comparative suggested number of days. This is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for.

FL
Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 23:29 Quote
You will find plenty technical trails in Vancouver/Squamish/Whistler. In our case good enough to be in/ a bit out of our comfort zones to unrideable.

I regret we only had 3 days for riding in Squamish. I dare say you could ride there a week without repeating too much.
Same in Vancouver; we just got a taste of what's riding there about.
Same in Whistler (blackcomb).........

One of the best tipps here was that less is more.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 7:49 Quote
HairyLummox wrote:
djyosh wrote:

No offense dude, but saying "most expensive gas in North America" is kind of like saying "I'm the shortest man in my basketball team"! Ours is a little more expensive than yours (but not as bad as Europe). But I see what you're saying. I'm already wavering on Fernie due to driving time. Cost of gas may be another nail in Fernie's coffin.

Yes I've based my location ideas so far on places that look to have a good concentration of trails. As a foreigner with no guide, finding the good trails in a strange land will be the main issue. So trailforks will probably be my main source of info in that respect.

Just a clarification: when I said steep techy riding, I didn't mean I was looking for the steepest gnarliest trails out there. I just meant that for comparisons sake, I prefer steep/techy/rocky/rooty/rough over groomed/machine built/flow/bikepark jump trails. Old school North Shore jank easily fits within the parameters of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the replies guys, they've been helpful. Especially Quinn with your comparative suggested number of days. This is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for.

k

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 30, 2023 at 20:43 Quote
HairyLummox wrote:

(SNIP)

My personal suggestion for someone who likes natural terrain would be as follows:

2-3 weeks riding near Vancouver. There is a stupid amount of riding between Chilliwack and Vancouver, and Vancouver up to Pemberton. (Vedder, Woodlot, Eagle, Seymour, Fromme, Cypress, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton)

Head from Pemberton to Kamloops and Sun Peaks bike park. Perhaps 2-3 days of riding.

Onto Revelstoke, a day outside the park, and a day for the bike park.

South from Revy, ride Mt Abriel in Nakusp, and head down to Nelson, Castlegar, and Rossland. You could easily spend 5 days on the bike here.

Drive to Big White bike park for a day. If you plan on this, check to see if they're open when you want to drive through. Not open every day.

From Big White into Kelowna. Ride 1-2 days in Kelowna, and onto Penticton for a day.

Trips done, back to Vancouver.

Post up your trip plans and get some off the bike recommendations too! Lots of the cities and towns with good biking are also pretty cool to check out, or cool places to check out on the way.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2023 at 5:22 Quote
mikestewart wrote:
HairyLummox wrote:

(SNIP)

My personal suggestion for someone who likes natural terrain would be as follows:

2-3 weeks riding near Vancouver. There is a stupid amount of riding between Chilliwack and Vancouver, and Vancouver up to Pemberton. (Vedder, Woodlot, Eagle, Seymour, Fromme, Cypress, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton)

Head from Pemberton to Kamloops and Sun Peaks bike park. Perhaps 2-3 days of riding.

Onto Revelstoke, a day outside the park, and a day for the bike park.

South from Revy, ride Mt Abriel in Nakusp, and head down to Nelson, Castlegar, and Rossland. You could easily spend 5 days on the bike here.

Drive to Big White bike park for a day. If you plan on this, check to see if they're open when you want to drive through. Not open every day.

From Big White into Kelowna. Ride 1-2 days in Kelowna, and onto Penticton for a day.

Trips done, back to Vancouver.

Post up your trip plans and get some off the bike recommendations too! Lots of the cities and towns with good biking are also pretty cool to check out, or cool places to check out on the way.

That would be an awesome loop.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2023 at 11:10 Quote
Hi Folks,

I am going to hijack this thread instead of creating a new one as my question is fairly similar.

We are planning on an Okanagan road trip this summer, Aug 12-25, and was hoping for your expertise as I have no idea what typical trail conditions are that time of year.

Overall are group has mixed tastes. I would say that we prefer tech but enjoy a good flow trail with non-gap jumps, medium drops, rock slabs, etc. My biggest concern is extreme dry and loose conditions being that it will be August.

Our original plan:
Penticton- 2 days
Kelowna- 2 days
Big White- 1 day
Vernon- 2 day
Silver Star- 2 days
Salmon Arm- 1day
Kamloops- 2 day
Sun Peaks- 1 day

Revised plan:
Penticton/Kelowna- 3 days
Big White- 1 day
Vernon- 1 day
Silver Star- 2 days
Revy- 3 days
Rossland- 3 days

What are your guys' thoughts on these locations and the amount of time we plan on spending at each? Do any of these areas fair better that time of year than others? Are there other areas you would recommend instead?

I so appreciate your time and experience!

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2023 at 13:25 Quote
Just a caution with silver star - if there is a lightning strike within 1000 miles of the place they shut the lifts down for the day and give you a big middle finger as a thanks.

Dont plan for more than one day of your 3 in revy in the bike park itself. Stoke climb is cool.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011401
Mobile Version of Website