Powered by Outside

The most overrated and underrated freeriders? and why?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
The most overrated and underrated freeriders? and why?
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 12:51 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
makripper wrote:
timo pritzl is underrated, well compared to john cowan who is quite the opposite.
robbie bourden is way overrated, agreed.
every big mountain rider is underrated. (who knows of any other current pro's making a living doing it?) mason mashon (spe?) who rides for brodie, and mike hopkins is underrated, evan shwartz is underrated too. oh yea, shaums march, jay hoots are also under rated.
Kinrade, romaniuk = way way overrated.

"every big mountain rider in underrated" Yet according to you Bourdon, Kinrade, and Romaniuk pretty much the kings of big mountain these days are overrated? Make up your damn mind you hypocrite.

I hate this bullshit. You people criticizing these guy don't know jack shit.
hahahha you have no idea about what u are talking about man. I've got the chance to talk to these people in person and yea. not the nicest dudes around. they dont really do anything for the sport at all. no need to swear malkaslksater

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 12:55 Quote
this is a sweet thread man! props for the idea! especially the big mountain aspect needs more respect and attention (corporate issue) its really hard for people to progress and get recognized for doing things that aren't seen as important, or as bieng a big money maker for the industry. oh yea, another sweet rider is james doerfling. he kills it! have fun guys im gunna go rip it up!

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 13:01 Quote
Romo isn't overrated, he's a solid rider. The problem is that whenever you say "Romaniuk" all the kids from 12 to 15 get insant hard-ons for him and won't shut up.

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 13:47 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
mikeyboy wrote:
jedi1 wrote:
wade overrated????

when you can flow down a trail like water and do what he has in the sport you will be allowed your opinion.until then

So you have to be better than the actual pro, in order to criticize them?

I think thats fair. At least to the extent of calling one over rated.

In order to call someone over rated, sure, I can agree to that. But to criticize someone's technique or ability, is something we do every day, including in mountain bike.

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 15:22 Quote
mikeyboy wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
mikeyboy wrote:

So you have to be better than the actual pro, in order to criticize them?

I think thats fair. At least to the extent of calling one over rated.

In order to call someone over rated, sure, I can agree to that. But to criticize someone's technique or ability, is something we do every day, including in mountain bike.
and what would you know about his technical ability??

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 12:26 Quote
there are alot of underated amateur and pro riders out there, and its impossible to judge if someone is "over rated" when all that many riders see of these individuals are the video sections and interviews in magazines, it often how people are presented or how videos are edited that gives riders opinions about them...these opinions are based on false ideas

for example, Bender was kinda conned in his last NWD appearence, and has suffered this in several videos where the video producers and editors have focused on his huge hucks gone wrong resulting in crashes and as a result people think he just constantly slams...if you go riding with him hes very quick and able on the downhills, and surprising to ride with as he spots all kinds of cool / crazy lines and goes and rides them

I have been lucky enough to ride with some of the top pro riders like josh bender, john cowan, wade simmons, geoff gulevich, Joe schwartz, robbie bourdon, Darren Butler, Shaums March and others, and found all of them to be regular guys who are good on their bikes because they have natural talent and are lucky enough to be paid to ride bikes all the time

some were in good moods and pleasent to be about, others were in bad moods and a bit unpleasent, but nothing personal, we all get good and bad moods and being a pro rider you may not always want to be riding on that day, but you got a job to do...

the thing that holds back many riders with natural ability is having to work full time which means its always a constant battle to retain a level of skill, fitness and confidence - confidence is eroded if not riding regularly and pro riders have alot of confidence as they can ride constantly

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 12:28 Quote
that was the thing with Ben Boyko. Trying to ride pro level and run his construction company and work

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 12:30 Quote
Jay Hoots is also underrated. He is an extremly well rounded rider. He can DH, 4X, Trails, and ive ridded Dirt and Park with him and he's such a nice chill guy. He even let me ride the original prototype for the XXXX frame

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
underrated..... Nathan Rennie, cause he's fast as all hell, has style, can do killer whips and inverted trick's and will huck The biggest stuff out there with grace.

Underrated... Carlin dunne, again a seriously commited freerider who rides fearless, and will step up his game anytime he;s given the chance.. i find it strange that he only appear's in a handfull of video's .. always have been impressed with his segments

overrated... bender ( sorry guy's ) because peoiple HAVE landed jaw drop ( or jah drop w/e you want to call it..let's not get into a frizzy here ) and they didn't need an 18" karpniel frame to do it ( which didn;t seem to help bender pull it off as he hasn't yet ) .. i hear he's making a ""comeback" i'll be interested to see.
and cause I've never seen him Ride Smoothly, or drop well, Although I'll give him props, he's got some Big Ka-hones.

regardless they all ride better than i do so........

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 21:52 Quote
who else has landed the jah drop.....NO ONE!!

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 21:57 Quote
supert360 wrote:

not even bender, but at least he attempted.

If I get untreatable cancer one day and will die soon, I'm gonna attempt the jah drop. whos wit me?

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 21:58 Quote
was just going to say that!

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 22:08 Quote
jefo wrote:
supert360 wrote:

If I get untreatable cancer one day and will die soon, I'm gonna attempt the jah drop. whos wit me?

its jaw drop

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 22:09 Quote
yellowpurple wrote:
jefo wrote:
supert360 wrote:

its jaw drop

I wouldn't care if I were to have cancer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016829
Mobile Version of Website