Powered by Outside

How to lighten a Glory DH

PB Forum :: Downhill
How to lighten a Glory DH
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 16:40 Quote
Maybe I was too? (definitly wasn't)

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 16:43 Quote
Biggest price smart upgrade that could be done to that Glory would be a new chainguide and pedals. Like everybody has mentioned, the LG-1 or the MRP G2, or the Gamut P40 will save loads of weight. Also, if you really wanted, you could switch to a DHX Air if you had extra money to burn. Another suggestion would be possible lighter cranks and BB. Bottom brackets are the easiest way to hide dead weight. A Ti bb is ~$140, but well worth it to shave a bunch of weight. As for pedals, I run the MG-1 and absolutely love them. They do have a slightly smaller platform than most flats, but the weight savings is totally worth it.

FL
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
MajesticMOOSE wrote:
When weenieing weight, I always to use this method. Say you want to save half a pound with a Ti spring, or about 230g. Divide the weight you will save by how much said item costs. Let's say the Ti coil is selling for $200. This weight saving costs you $1.15 per gram. Say your DH tubes weigh 660g each, or 1/3 of a lb. By changing to lighter, XC tubes, you could save 250g on each wheel. A total saving of 500g may only cost $40, or $0.12 per gram. So don't spend $1200 on wheels, so you can save 700g. You take small amounts off various parts and save as much weight for half the cost
Thankyou, this was the type of advice I was looking for in creating this thread. But 660g is not 1/3 of a pound. A pound is 454 grams. That is a really simple way to combine the weight with money.tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018573
Mobile Version of Website