Powered by Outside

Carrera Banshee X

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Carrera Banshee X
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 at 13:13 Quote
Oki

I can't wait to be honest. Heard lots of good reviews, a few bad one's but I'm really looking forward. Just gotta wait a week before my dad can take me :/

Posted: Mar 28, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
stevet1992 wrote:
just to amend a previous comment i made, turns out the chainset is not rivited like i thought sorry about that

just go and buy the thing:P

Agreed, stop gayin about lol.

Posted: Mar 28, 2009 at 16:02 Quote
hit tress today on the banshe and mmm everything was great. swapped frames with my mate as he has a banshee also, now 19 inch instead of 17.

Can anyone reccomend a decent front and rear shock upgrade for the banshee adding another inch or so to the standard 140mm front travel but preferably keeping the 5 inch true rear travel with a coil shock ???

Posted: Mar 28, 2009 at 17:28 Quote
matt-watkins wrote:
Oki, thanks.

The problem with Halfords is that there staff are not trained well enough. My local bike shop has a mechanic who used to work at Halfords, who said that one weekend he went away and he came back on monday to find 4 bikes that the pedals had fallen off on.

Halfords don't have the equipment/staff to deal with anything more technical that some SR Suntour forks and Shimano brakes.

Don't tar all Halfords' with the same brush there. Our store has one of the biggest Bikehut departments in the county and we (meaning I) can do pretty much any job on a bike. What is worrying though is that I can do more on a bike (as the Saturday boy) than the full time mechanic. I have had no training from Halfords, in fact, I've had no training of any kind from any company, and he's fully trained. If there's any bottom bracket jobs or hydraulic brakes need doing he leaves them for me to do on Saturdays. Although the point about equipment is very true, I am often let down by bad/lacking tools. The other day I had to make a bleed kit out of stuff from the rubbish bin and we're missing a 25mm socket (needed for the tool used to get screw-on cassettes off) so if you can't get enough leverage from a small adj spanner than youre screwed.

Posted: Mar 28, 2009 at 23:46 Quote
skylinelover wrote:
hit tress today on the banshe and mmm everything was great. swapped frames with my mate as he has a banshee also, now 19 inch instead of 17.

Can anyone reccomend a decent front and rear shock upgrade for the banshee adding another inch or so to the standard 140mm front travel but preferably keeping the 5 inch true rear travel with a coil shock ???
as per usual adding more travel then its designed to will make handling sloppy and always put more stress on the headtube

why do you neeed an extra inch of travel ? i weigh 14 stone and run forks really soft, im yet to bottom them out !, you may be able to get away with a fork that has adjustable travel, that way you can run the normal travel for usual rides and then if and when you hit the big stuff temporarily wind the travel up, not sure about freerride forks but the Rockshox Domain U-Turn seems a good idea wiht travel adjustable from 115 - 160

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 2:36 Quote
My mates added some 170mm triple crown forks and works fine, so you should be alright.
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3146240/

As for Halfords, there are the off good mechanic, that know's what their doing, but still. I'm 15, havn't worked in a bike shop and I could do most jobs that need doing to a bike. With a few more years of experience and more playing about, its quite easy to learn more than a lot of the mechanics at Halfords.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 9:37 Quote
Sin my mates banshee frame today. Looks much more sturdier than I thought. Cant wait to look at the one I want on Saturday, should be good Smile

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 23:54 Quote
Anything anyone reccomend upgrading? I was thinkin wheels firstly, tires are new, and then brakes (Get some fat 203mm rotors on there). Maybe new forks, nt sure.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 1:15 Quote
Hy matt, get some new forks eventually as the standard ones are proper bouncy. WHen i went on COlby's i was bouncing like a bitch!! lol. Didn't feel good at all. But this one could be different. Wheels are ok for now. Brakes would probably be a bit weak, so consider new ones of those. 203's !!!! lol

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 1:32 Quote
hey matt, i reckon u should get an orange crush instead of a carrera banshee. it sounds like the kind of bike u want to get.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 5:35 Quote
Its a great bike for the price. I like the forks on it, my mate has got em but may upgrade em in time. Ye, probs will change the wheels and brakes tho. 203's for sure.

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 12:26 Quote
I snapped the seatstay on my 07 banshee frame, getting another one.. really good frame for the money.. only problems i came across were when changing the pivot bearings. theyre a bit of a bugger to remove quite frankly.. doing up a new one though so will check back and put some photos up for yous lot once im done

Posted: Mar 10, 2010 at 2:35 Quote
hi im buying a carrera banshee but i dont know what year it is its got the coil shock on the back though heres what im planning on getting for it (as i have a dh bike im going for more of an all mountain light freeride bike build):

forks: marzocchi 55 160mm not sure what model but 08 year.

shock: fox van coil or a dhx 3 if i can fit it

wheels:wtb speed disk or sun s type wheels with front bolt through hub and if i can maxle axled rear otherqise qr rear hub.

brakes:avid jucy 5's with 203mm rotors or hayes stroker trails with 203mm rotors

gearing: sram x7 rear or slx rear with x7 or slx shifter single ring front with fsa gravity cranks and bb and a blackspire bb mounted chain guide.

bars and stem and seatpost: raceface evolve dh

so what do you think ? allso dose anyone know how mutch travell they have?
cheers.

Posted: May 1, 2011 at 7:22 Quote
are these bikes able to take a 203mm rotor on the back ? or will it hit the frame

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.072536
Mobile Version of Website