Powered by Outside

How do you drift?

PB Forum :: Beginners
How do you drift?
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 15:41 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
When I first saw this thread I was thinking to myself "this is going to be a joke", then I read your first post and thought about it for a second and I realized that drifting is harder than it seems like it should be.

You don't seem to be very confident going into that corner judging from the video. You need to make sure you are in the proper "attack" position. Personally I like to go into a corner a little ahead of center over the bike, and then depending on traction available move back to center or even a bit behind. One thing that you have to keep in mind, which can help you a lot but also get you in trouble, is the fact that it is hard to break a tire loose, but once it is gone it is hard for it to find traction again. This is why most times inexperience riders/drivers end up in the rhubarb once a drift begins. Once you figure out the point at which your tire breaks loose from traction things will just sort of fall into place. At the speed you are going in the video you would be able to lay the bike down way more and make that corner about twice as sharp without washing out, so you have a ways to go before you can sustain a drift for any amount of time. Counter steering is something else you are going to have to pick up on.

Yes mate, me too. I thougt it was probably a joke, but this guy is going for real, so we should probably give him a hand: it is just that I don't know how to explain it to him. I just pull them and I don't know how I manage to do it: that's all.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 15:46 Quote
smeckma wrote:
jonbikes wrote:
When I first saw this thread I was thinking to myself "this is going to be a joke", then I read your first post and thought about it for a second and I realized that drifting is harder than it seems like it should be.

You don't seem to be very confident going into that corner judging from the video. You need to make sure you are in the proper "attack" position. Personally I like to go into a corner a little ahead of center over the bike, and then depending on traction available move back to center or even a bit behind. One thing that you have to keep in mind, which can help you a lot but also get you in trouble, is the fact that it is hard to break a tire loose, but once it is gone it is hard for it to find traction again. This is why most times inexperience riders/drivers end up in the rhubarb once a drift begins. Once you figure out the point at which your tire breaks loose from traction things will just sort of fall into place. At the speed you are going in the video you would be able to lay the bike down way more and make that corner about twice as sharp without washing out, so you have a ways to go before you can sustain a drift for any amount of time. Counter steering is something else you are going to have to pick up on.

Yes mate, me too. I thougt it was probably a joke, but this guy is going for real, so we should probably give him a hand: it is just that I don't know how to explain it to him. I just pull them and I don't know how I manage to do it: that's all.

It took me a good wile to think that out. I've been riding for 8 or 9 seasons, so like you most of my riding maneuvers just work the way they do and I never think about it, it is just automatic.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 15:55 Quote
The-Hoff wrote:
ok then. is this something i can practice at a moderate speed or do i need to be going quite fast to make it happen?

I live in Birmingham and if you come to my place maybe we can go out for a ride to teach you. You just cant racionalize it; it is more like you need to go with the flow and find out by yourself.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 16:32 Quote
Here is a picture of me just after initiating a drift. This was on a fairly tight, steep, rough corner that you did not have a lot of speed coming into so I grabbed a fist full of brake to break my rear tire loose and then let go of the brake and slid around the corner brakeless. You can see that I have one foot out to help counter act the sliding motion and just to catch myself in case I start to go down.

photo

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 17:02 Quote
I've been trying to learn too, and I find it easier to get a drift going on a gravel road/ path that has a corner that runs downhill after a flat run up. Then you can get the drift going and carry it down a little bit after the corner. Hope that helps. Just what I find though, and im not exactly good so...

Posted: Aug 9, 2009 at 10:54 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Here is a picture of me just after initiating a drift. This was on a fairly tight, steep, rough corner that you did not have a lot of speed coming into so I grabbed a fist full of brake to break my rear tire loose and then let go of the brake and slid around the corner brakeless. You can see that I have one foot out to help counter act the sliding motion and just to catch myself in case I start to go down.

photo

Don't be ridiculous: we all know you gonna be a good rider.

Posted: Aug 10, 2009 at 18:09 Quote
smeckma wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

photo

Excuse me?

Perhaps I have taken that the wrong way, but the guy wanted tips on how to drift, so I helped to the best of my ability. He wanted to know if "locking up the rear end" was an acceptable method, so I posted a picture of that method in use.

I don't need a bunch of people on pinkbike to think that I am a good rider in order to feel good about myself; I know where I am as a rider and IMO that's all that maters, in the end it is all for fun.

Posted: Aug 11, 2009 at 11:12 Quote
skidding is a no no esp in berms

Posted: Aug 11, 2009 at 20:04 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
smeckma wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

photo

Excuse me?

Perhaps I have taken that the wrong way, but the guy wanted tips on how to drift, so I helped to the best of my ability. He wanted to know if "locking up the rear end" was an acceptable method, so I posted a picture of that method in use.

I don't need a bunch of people on pinkbike to think that I am a good rider in order to feel good about myself; I know where I am as a rider and IMO that's all that maters, in the end it is all for fun.

Yes you are right: I thought you were the other guy. Appologies

Posted: Aug 11, 2009 at 23:19 Quote
ok, so im learning drifting still, but i think i can help. you sorta gotta throw yourself into it. i find, so far, that its easier to just drift on a straight fireroad. for a corner: right after you let off the brakes, throw your inside foot off the pedals, throw your towards the inside of the turn and forward, an lay the bike down a little. the tire will have most traction when its straight up and down. so, if you get it going at an angle, itll be a little easier. once you get to a certain point through the corner ( i think its like right at the apex) start counter steering a little bit, and look at the exit of the corner the whole time. when your counter steering, just try and point the tire at the exit. as soon as your through the apex, get your weight back to your normal position, and get that bike back vertical, while bringing your foot back on the pedal. then try and get a pedal stroke in for some extra speed. i definatley dont do them very well, but im working on it. to practice, i just find little dusty patches along the street or whatever when im just screwing around, and pretend its a corner. i dont have any pictures or videos though. i might soon, when i get a working bike haha.

Posted: Aug 12, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
Thanks for the help, but i have to admit i gave up on that corner in the video a while ago as it is so far away. But we have built some new trails and i am getting better at drifting now. Not amazing but better

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 11:23 Quote
its just like doing a moto whip just and hang on... and you f

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 2.091046
Mobile Version of Website