O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 7:24 Quote
ratherberidin wrote:
slopestyle123 wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:
Norco isn't high end, in my eyes.
Transitions are nice, super trendy.
Banshee's are beasts, I love em.

Test ride a a trany/banshee and pick the one you like more.

ya i dont think most norcos are high end plus everyone has one! look around!! banshees are really sick and so are transitions. not many people have those companys (trany and banshee).
have you ever thought that maybe everone has one because they are good and pretty inexpencive. also your 11 so i bet your dad buys your bike and to you it doesnt matter the price

ya it did matter the price it could not be over 800 but i got mine on sale. and i think banshees are stonger

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 8:05 Quote
first off, if planning to frequent a dirt jump spot that has only small to medium sized doubles, I wouldn't recommend the Banshee Wildcard, it pops nicely off jumps but just has too much travel for any bmx style dirt jump spots, would be fine for a proper slopestyle course though.

Secondly, despite the new management, revised company image and 'light weight' claims, Banshee's still aint that light - Wildcards' are known to weigh more than claimed, my size small weighs 0.7Lbs heavier than claimed with a shock, I expect the case is also the same with all the other bikes in their new line-up, so the claimed weights essentially mean jack $hit!
- Transition bikes like the Bottlerocket or Double are significantly lighter than the Banshee counterparts [in actuality].

I think the best option would be The Specialized SX or Banshee Rampant, these frames are well suited to dirt-jumping/slopestyle riding.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
Regular size banshee rampant frame with Fox RP23 shock = 3176g
Medium size Transition double without shock = 3528g

Medium banshee wildcard without shock (with hardwear) = 3712g
Small transition bottlerocket frame only = 3366g

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 9:51 Quote
ratherberidin wrote:
oneill-kid123 wrote:
dont go transition they snap easy
you may wanna rethink that after watching this
Views: 34,020    Faves: 721    Comments: 168

edit:read the discription

it didnt snap dumbass

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 9:53 Quote
That was the point, the kid was wrong saying transitions snap easily. Congratulations you failed at life.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 10:25 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
The banshee feels taller, and more confidence inducing. Could just be my imagination though.
Taller is not a good thing. I don't know how tall you are but for us shorter guys a low slung bike is a god send. It's easier to whip around, rail berms and feels better when you don't get a seat up the ass mid air.

Unhallowed wrote:
My Banshee weighs 50lbs. MY buddies weighs upwards of 53lbs.
Congratulations. Unfortunately you own one of the old-gen cement framed pieces of crap. The new ones are on a whole other level of performance, weight, and looks. And before you tell me that yeah well, the old ones are strong, riders like Scott Alleyn and Alan Hepburn have been beating their Rampants (wildcards too) year round with no problems.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
First off. f*ck you. PIECE OF CRAP? I swear I'd throw this bike at you if you said that to me in person so you're lucky you get to hide behind a f*cking computer.

Secondly, FEELS taller doesn't mean it IS taller. Bike has decent standover for a FR bike.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 10:37 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
First off. f*ck you. PIECE OF CRAP? I swear I'd throw this bike at you if you said that to me in person so you're lucky you get to hide behind a f*cking computer.

Secondly, FEELS taller doesn't mean it IS taller. Bike has decent standover for a FR bike.

It's all relative buddy. You couldn't pay me to ride an old banshee over a new one. They're light years ahead of where they were just two or three years ago.

Well why exactly would a bike feel tall if it isn't. You need to specify what exactly makes it tall, is it the stack height, the bb height, the seat, or what?

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 11:04 Quote
ok then... transition or banshee it is... im still leaning more toward the double/rampant because it has less travel and the wildcard/bottlerocket might be overkill since i wont be doing any heavy freeriding or downhill. i kinda liked the norco, but it hasn't convinced me with this thread, but i guess ill just have to take a look at all three. i would really like to get more info on the double and rampant like how good is it for climbing, can you get a good seatpost in there which will allow me to climb in a comfortable position, can it still handle some drops, etc.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 11:06 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
first off, if planning to frequent a dirt jump spot that has only small to medium sized doubles, I wouldn't recommend the Banshee Wildcard, it pops nicely off jumps but just has too much travel for any bmx style dirt jump spots, would be fine for a proper slopestyle course though.

Secondly, despite the new management, revised company image and 'light weight' claims, Banshee's still aint that light - Wildcards' are known to weigh more than claimed, my size small weighs 0.7Lbs heavier than claimed with a shock, I expect the case is also the same with all the other bikes in their new line-up, so the claimed weights essentially mean jack $hit!- Transition bikes like the Bottlerocket or Double are significantly lighter than the Banshee counterparts [in actuality].

I think the best option would be The Specialized SX or Banshee Rampant, these frames are well suited to dirt-jumping/slopestyle riding.

umm, the claimed weights are for frame only, so your bike is probally spot on claimed or less. seeing as they come with different air shock options most weighing around a pound plus add on shock hardware then yeah yours is most likely under claimed weight.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
If it's between the double and rampant now, I would highly reccomend the rampant. Due to the nature of the travel (it gets harder to move the further in to the travel you go, especially close to bottom out) you have far more options as far as set up goes. You can leave it a bit softer and have a bit of small bump sensitivity and still not bottom out, or you can pump it up so it performs like a hardtail with a bit of cushion.

Something like a double however (I BELIEVE, not fact) doesn't have a rising rate like that. So if you want to run it a bit softer, you'll be bottoming out like crazy and will pretty much be forced to run it like a hardtail. Also, the rampant will pedal better and feel like it has a bit more travel than the double due to the VF4P design (as it will be unaffected by brake jack).

Both of them are going to be tough little bikes so there's not much to worry about there, I think it pretty much all comes down to personal preference.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 12:19 Quote
well then.. i guess that the rampant is a winner.. but i still have a few questions.. which shock should i get, the fox rp2 or the manitou swinger x3 (is the fox worth the extra $) and what fork do you recommend... i was thinking about a pike, for the versatility and cheapness compared to what many are using (fox 36 talas)... i like the 95-140mm, but what do you guys think?

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 12:29 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
konacowboy wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:

My Banshee weighs 50lbs. MY buddies weighs upwards of 53lbs.
the frame, the amp is probably the lightest dj/4x frame so the rampant has to be light too.
Well first off your logic is totally f*cked haha.
Secondly, Banshee is well known for having super heavy bikes. Although in recent years has lightened them up lots.

holly f*ck, i just sht my pants, but a 53lbs bike? how the hell do u ride that?
sry, it just might be me, but thats ludicrous

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
Hey its Rob C from Mythic Bikes here (Banshee UK)

last season, I owned a Wildcard

here she is:

photo

I was doing alot of dirt jumping, so found the wildcard a little too long and tall and a touch heavy (my bike was 34lb), for all round freeride it was an awesome bike and I had alot of fun riding it

photo

for this season, I switched to the smaller Rampant, 28lb with Fast Trak LK tires, about 30lb with heavier knobbly Minions

photo

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
the surprise was that, despite losing 1 inch of travel over the Wildcard(Rampant is 100mm) the Rampant was actually superior on the braking bumps, tree roots and rocks on the downhill and freeride trails; its got less chain growth than the Wildcard so a smoother ride, and active braking is very nice (like a FSR bike)

for dirt jumping it was easier to get airbourne and thrown down the tricks,
photo

I just got back from Winterberg bike park in Germany, and rode the Rampant on all the trails including their gnarly DH track, slopestyle, funcross and funride trails

photo

photo

photo

my buddy John was riding his Wildcard, and something we noticed, as we swapped bikes, was that the Rampant was superior at high speeds, over braking bumps and on the rough DH track, despite being a smaller, lighter bike with steeper geometry and slightly less travel

the Rampant with an adjustable travel fork like a Pike 454 Air U-Turn will allow you to do everything from hardcore dirt jumping, to slopestyle sessions and full on DH runs and FR sessions

its a fast handling bike for sure, but if you have the skill as a rider, you will have a huge amount of fun riding a Rampant, and it rides better the faster you push it

something to consider is that the Transition double has the same suspension system as the Wildcard and Bottlerocket, which means you will get brake stiffening on the bumps, which makes it feel less secure at high speeds when braking hard on DH and FR runs

the Rampant's virtual pivot suspension is much more dialled allowing reasonable air pressure, and active braking in the first 3/4 of the travel, with some brake squat in the last 1/4 to pull the back wheel into the ground, which gives more brake traction and matches what the front brake / fork is doing

I've ridden both the BR and Double, and like the WC, they are great for big slopestyle jumps with smooth transitions and no braking bumps, but a more sophisticated suspension system like on the Rampant is way better for an all round bike that is going to be used for DH and FR runs on rough ground

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020747
Mobile Version of Website