Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...
Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 7:49 Quote
mtb-mann wrote:
Hi folks,

Got my Jeffsy 27 last weekend. Just got it setup, heli-taped, tubeless and suspension tweaked. Weather where I live is terrible at the moment but I hope to get out for a couple of rides this week. Here it is:

photo

I had a Jeffsy 29 previously and loved every minute of riding it. When the 27 came out I just had to get one. Size wise it is noticeably longer than the 29. At 5'8.5" I was right between M and L. I got M which felt a little short on the 29 but the M 27 is perfect.

Being a guy who's rode both bikes, wondering if you could give a recommendation. I've read almost all the jeffsy 29 thread and most of the 27 and I'm torn between the two bikes. The riding I do is honestly a little bit of everything, not very much down hill because I have to travel minimum 2 hours for it but the rest would be considered just the regular trail riding both fast and flowy but also some pretty technical rides depending where I go. Between the two bikes which would you recommend as the best all rounder? To take in consideration I'm coming off of a 26" wheeled bike and all the guys I ride with are riding the giant trance which is 27". So something tells me "get the 27" but then at the same time something tells me to get the 29. I'm also 6'1" if that would weigh in on your recommendation.

Thanks in advance for a response! Happy trails.

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 8:25 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Anyone know off hand if the high-roller II tires that come with the CF-1 are the Tubeless-ready (TR) model?

They're not the tubeless ready version, but I had no problem converting mine to tubeless using a compressor. This is on the CF Pro, which has the TRS+ wheelset instead of the TRS on the CF1. Consensus on the thread appears to be that you can run tubeless just fine.

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 8:29 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
trombs wrote:
My Raceface Turbine dropper on the CF Pro doesn't seem to hold air very long. I've had to refill it several times since taking delivery of the bike, which is a real pain. Has anyone else had this issue?

There's a known issue with the cable needing somewhat frequent adjustments. Maybe you've got a similar problem?

Good call but the cable has been fine, I saw some posts elsewhere about that and it appears to be a different issue. In my case, the post is slowly losing air, so it rises less and less quickly. Just curious if others on the Jeffsy have seen that problem. There was some indication that this had been resolved with more recent Turbine droppers (i.e. sometime in 2016), but that hasn't been my experience.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 2:47 Quote
Hi all!

Did anyone get additional volume spacers in the box for the FOX fork/shock (CF PRO)?

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 3:46 Quote
Well this is just great. I've been off the bike since sometime in April, due to pain in my left leg.
Physical therapy and pain killers didn't really work. So I was finally able to get an MRI done last week.

So, turns out that I have yet another herniated disc (I've previously had 3 surgically removed in 2015).
Which means, that I still have a almost completely unused Jeffsy hanging at home Frown
And it'll be a while, before it's going to get a thrashing down some trails.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 9:18 Quote
Hola.

Well I've got my al2 now. Took about half an hour to put it together and another quarter of an hour to switch it to a 1x setup.

Took it for a spin around cwmcarn and don't have much in the way of complaints. Took it up some fire road sections and didn't feel much in the way of pedal bob and it felt great on the downy bits.

I am suffering a bit in the crotch area tho - does anyone get on with the seat? I think I'm probably going to swap it out which is a bit of a shame as it looks the part.

The other question I have is about the bottle cage. I couldn't bring myself to splash out on the thirstmaster, and I saw that the giant gateway cage might work - but I can't get it to fit (got a 500ml bottle) - are there any other cages I should look at, or should I consider a bit of bodging to try and get the giant cage to fit?

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 9:26 Quote
Congrats, mine is out for delivery as we speak. I'm like a kid who woke up too early on Christmas morning.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 10:49 Quote
joeajones wrote:
Hola.

Well I've got my al2 now. Took about half an hour to put it together and another quarter of an hour to switch it to a 1x setup.

Took it for a spin around cwmcarn and don't have much in the way of complaints. Took it up some fire road sections and didn't feel much in the way of pedal bob and it felt great on the downy bits.

I am suffering a bit in the crotch area tho - does anyone get on with the seat? I think I'm probably going to swap it out which is a bit of a shame as it looks the part.

The other question I have is about the bottle cage. I couldn't bring myself to splash out on the thirstmaster, and I saw that the giant gateway cage might work - but I can't get it to fit (got a 500ml bottle) - are there any other cages I should look at, or should I consider a bit of bodging to try and get the giant cage to fit?

Cool,
I just pulled the trigger on a AL2 this evening. Hope to get it soon.

Did you get a clinch chainring for the 1x setup? If so did you get a boost or normal version?
Any pics of the chainline?

I'm going to run the 2x for a while to get a feeling of the chainring size when I make the change.

Thanks,
Dave

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 10:59 Quote
has anyone else had problems with the trs dropper getting really messed up and coming all of the way out of the post. i had to send mine in to get replaced or rebuilt?

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 11:29 Quote
OK so my bike just came, a CF-1. Did everyone else's bike come packed with stickers and stuff? Mine only had the bike, wheels, manual. Nothing else.

Also, they had put mine together at the office and then re-packaged it before shipping (long story); and the bike came with the rear mech attached. As a result there's a tiny bit of the mech that was chipped off at the edge near the hanger. I don't think it will affect the performance, (but I can't haven't built it yet, had to go to work) it's just a tiny sliver of plastic near the clutch pin. Would you guys recommend I contact YT about a replacement?

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 11:43 Quote
BogDonkey wrote:
Cool,
I just pulled the trigger on a AL2 this evening. Hope to get it soon.

Did you get a clinch chainring for the 1x setup? If so did you get a boost or normal version?
Any pics of the chainline?

I'm going to run the 2x for a while to get a feeling of the chainring size when I make the change.

Thanks,
Dave

1. Yep
2. As far as I can tell, Raceface only do one version of their cinch narrow wide and it fits fine.
3. I can try, but it might take me a while to work out how to post the photos.

I know someone earlier on in the thread mentioned that YT have said you just need a normal cinch chainring and posted some pictures of a pretty straight chainline.

Because I'm awesome, and because it gets me out of having to work out how to post photos, I've quoted the guy below. His actual post is on page six.

ronnikn wrote:
map-guy wrote:
I just ordered the 27 AL Two. Not keen on the 2x set up so i'll be swapping to 1x right away. Will I need a boost cinch ring or normal non-boost? Anyone else with the Two able to share extra thoughts on what to do straight out of the box?
My availability said May 17th, fingers crossed for no delays. Thanks!

I got the 27 AL Two.
I imeadely changed it to 1x. I used Race Face Direct Mount Cinch Narrow Wide Chainring

It works perfect and my driveline is pretty straight Smile

Feel free to ask if you want to know more Smile Smile

photo

photo

This may not work, in which case I'll look less awesome.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 14:43 Quote
joeajones wrote:

1. Yep
2. As far as I can tell, Raceface only do one version of their cinch narrow wide and it fits fine.
3. I can try, but it might take me a while to work out how to post the photos.

I know someone earlier on in the thread mentioned that YT have said you just need a normal cinch chainring and posted some pictures of a pretty straight chainline.

Because I'm awesome, and because it gets me out of having to work out how to post photos, I've quoted the guy below. His actual post is on page six.

ronnikn wrote:
map-guy wrote:
I just ordered the 27 AL Two. Not keen on the 2x set up so i'll be swapping to 1x right away. Will I need a boost cinch ring or normal non-boost? Anyone else with the Two able to share extra thoughts on what to do straight out of the box?
My availability said May 17th, fingers crossed for no delays. Thanks!

I got the 27 AL Two.
I imeadely changed it to 1x. I used Race Face Direct Mount Cinch Narrow Wide Chainring

It works perfect and my driveline is pretty straight Smile

Feel free to ask if you want to know more Smile Smile

photo

photo

This may not work, in which case I'll look less awesome.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers man, enjoy the new bike!

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 18:11 Quote
joeajones wrote:

I posted my experience with the Specialized Roll water bottle cage earlier in this thread, including some pictures. I would share the link but I'm on my phone and can't search easily. Net is that it works perfectly with a small bottle, although it's a very tight fit.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 20:31 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
OK so my bike just came, a CF-1. Did everyone else's bike come packed with stickers and stuff? Mine only had the bike, wheels, manual. Nothing else.

Also, they had put mine together at the office and then re-packaged it before shipping (long story); and the bike came with the rear mech attached. As a result there's a tiny bit of the mech that was chipped off at the edge near the hanger. I don't think it will affect the performance, (but I can't haven't built it yet, had to go to work) it's just a tiny sliver of plastic near the clutch pin. Would you guys recommend I contact YT about a replacement?

Yup mine came with stickers and the thirstmaster but no tubeless valves

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 23:15 Quote
Hello Guys,

this is my first post on here so please be patient. I have a a couple of questions regarding the Jeffsy 27 AL 2. First is the sizing. I have read that people that have my size (1.80m [5'11'']/86cm [34''] inseam) went for the L one and are happy with it. I was wondering about this. I have also read that it has a pretty long reach so I dunno if this is what I want.

I come from a Trials background (24'' Inspired Console) and want to start riding some trails as I moved to a place where there are lots of them. This means that I would love to do a lot of technical stuff like rock secktions for which the L might be too big.

What do you recon? I don't want to be too cramped on the bike either as I'm planning on doing long distance riding as well.

Second question I have is about the ROCKSHOX DELUXE R vs. the RS on the AL One. I weigh about 89kgs and don't know anything about suspension. How does it perform. As I have never ridden a full suspension bike, I would probably not even recognize the difference between the two.

As I thought about the Jeffsy, I first went straight for the AL One but then I compared it to the Two and found out that the only differences are the suspension on the rear, the 2x10 and the brakes. I won't use the Sram brakes anyways and will buy the race face narrow wide chainring right away.

The Two is the best option in my case or have I missed something?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015281
Mobile Version of Website