Riders from the bradford / leeds area

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Riders from the bradford / leeds area
Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 14:59 Quote
harbinger1o1 wrote:
there is about 5 of us from Team Idiot going looks like it could be a good turn out
nice and the last one we had 32 riders so should be evan better tis time as we have alot more Smile

Posted: Mar 14, 2012 at 14:29 Quote
Hi all,
Just to let you know that Friends of Baildon Moor has a revamped web site, which includes “Information for Users” statement for Baildon Moor. See: http://baildonmoor.org

An important change here is that the council as the landowner has formally agreed that biking IS permitted on the Moor, PROVIDED certain guidelines in the Information for Users are observed. Please have a read.

Good input to this statement from SingleTraction and from some of you on Pinkbike, such the detail on how not to damage trail surfaces.
Several responsible local riders have also been working with the very few people on the Moor who were "enhancing" some of the runs on Baildon Moor below Dobrudden Farm by digging in the ancient bell pits. This damage to the archaeology caused much concern a year or two ago, with the police notified (I got flak for it too). Please stick to the many existing tracks and please do not do any digging on the moor or the Glen, except in Glovershaw Quarry.

The quarry is still abused by motorised vehicles. This is not acceptable and is illegal; the information on the web site has contact info to report these incidents, anonymously if you wish. These illegal users spoil it for bikes and other legitimate users, especially when someone has spent time building jumps and berms.

We’d all be grateful if you can promote this user information where you can.

I hope we might also see some of you over the summer to help out when we start cutting the bracken back from the main tracks. We plan to start mid-May and will carry on until mid-August or so. Keep an eye on the Friends of Baildon Moor Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-Baildon-Moor/147895425227229?sk=wall&filter=12.

Cheers,
David Sturge

Friends of Baildon Moor and CTC Right to Ride Off-Road volunteer

Posted: Mar 16, 2012 at 14:49 Quote
‎**please read and pass on**There's an unknown mtber in Leeds Gen Infirmary. He was taken there by air ambulance about 5pm this afternoon afte being found totally out of the game with his face ripped to bits on the Pennine Bridleway in the Piethorne Valley. He had no i/d and was in total shock. Long shot I know - if anyone knows who it is, please contact the LGI

All they know is his name is richard and he rides a be-one hardtail..

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 13:36 Quote
HI there. Whats the crack with baildon moors then? Ive just started using pinkbike and facebook to start riding local and to get to know people and trails! i ride all mountain and dh. The trails on baildon moor need some tlc, are we allowed to 'maintain' them with out going crazy and putting a load of table tops and north shore bits in?!!! might nip up after work friday or early sat morn. just read the 'FOBM' post

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 13:41 Quote
We used to maintain them, but we got permission from bradford council to build in some woods just out of Keighley.. so we dont really go up the glen anymore, i do now and again just because its so close

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 13:57 Quote
I only live in baildon so its great for a night ride or a quick blast after a (crap) day of work! Ive not been to these trials in keighley, ridd woods? Watched the all terrain vid the other day and they look great. How do you get to them? joined the yorkshire trail milita on FB the other day. Baildon moor has a soft spot for me so il do a bit of maintanance.

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 14:08 Quote
Yeah im in baildon too haha just over the hill! and yeah, i filmed that terrain vid Razz erm, the track is... if you find western avenue in riddlesden, follow that till you come to some woods Wink Keep an eye on the fb page, we usually post when we are heading up on digdays and rides

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 14:13 Quote
sweet! il try get there one day with you and the others! sundays are probably my best days at the moment. Il keep an eye out on fb and out on baildon moor for ya

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 14:15 Quote
yeah thats usually when we go up, not this weekend though.. everyones busy and im off away Big Grin probably a week or two yet

Posted: Mar 21, 2012 at 12:48 Quote
miniaveyard wrote:
HI there. Whats the crack with baildon moors then? Ive just started using pinkbike and facebook to start riding local and to get to know people and trails! i ride all mountain and dh. The trails on baildon moor need some tlc, are we allowed to 'maintain' them with out going crazy and putting a load of table tops and north shore bits in?!!! might nip up after work friday or early sat morn. just read the 'FOBM' post

Hi,
On the moor itself the deal is basically we can ride the many existing tracks but can not dig or use tools on them. You can ride, with care, to them to keep them clear and help cut the bracken back with FoBM (please). This might not suit everyone but the Moor is more good varied XC than AM/DH anyway.
The pay back is that MTBs are now formally permitted on the Moor and that digging jumps & berms within the Quarry itself IS OK. People got pushed out of there by motors, which is why this is covered.

Cheers, David

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 at 1:18 Quote
Friends of Baildon Moor will help keep some of the more popular paths on Baildon Moor clear of bracken again this year.

The first bracken clearing event is Thursday June 7th at 6PM on several tracks to the south and east below Dobrudden Farm where the bracken is currently the highest on the Moor. It is soft enough to use many methods of attack but not so dense that a lot of clearing up is needed. We’ll have two strimmers and some hand tools and can rake back the litter off the ground where required too.

Meet in first layby on Crook Farm Rd at 5:45PM. I hope to see a decent turnout.

At this time, I do not want to clear the popular MTB track across the bridleway and through several old bell pits as this is looking as it is getting a lot of traffic. As some will know, I am pointing MTBrs at the many other existing tracks (cheers Tom M.) down along this slope instead to spread the load and reduce the localised erosion. There is some acceptance in the many discussions I have had with bike people that the ban on digging on the moor itself is reasonable, so I am hopeful of some support please in this to help keep our impact minimal and low profile here.

Cheers, David.
Chair, FoBM

General stuff:
Most paths need to be done twice between mid-May and the end of August. Earlier in the year from mid-May when the bracken shoots are short and tender, it can be uprooted, thrashed and bent by simple hand tools and by feet, so that is a really useful time to join in. More volunteers are always needed to help with this. We have several members with the required training but more are needed and we do always need people to clear and pile the cuttings. We take care to avoid birds’ nest, archaeology, young trees and other desirable or rare plants. Suitable foot wear and gloves are recommended plus food, water & a mobile.

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 4:05 Quote
Hi,

Just moved to Ilkley, does anyone still ride/dig around here? Found a few short downhill trails up on the Moors & would like to get involved.

Cheers,

Lee

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 13:43 Quote
Lee, the local council as far as I know put a stop to digging on the moors. Not too far away from you is Esholt village (on the way to Shipley from Ilkley) in the wood opposite the water treatment works (you can see the tanks on google maps) there are quite a few shorts runs dug in.

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 5:53 Quote
Hi everyone, anyone from the York area or near by?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011817
Mobile Version of Website