Powered by Outside

My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 16:08 Quote
No. Is there not a LBS you can use?

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 16:15 Quote
sure, If I want to spend a lot more $$$.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 16:29 Quote
jakefish wrote:
sure, If I want to spend a lot more $$$.

What do you consider "a lot"?

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 18:42 Quote
Usually if you purchase the gear. Most shops are not that expensiven to build a wheel or push yourself to learn how to lace it yourself and get your local shop to tension it if you have never done that before. Most times to tension a wheel many shops are between 20 to 45 a wheel from my experience ...however that was a few years ago.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 21:39 Quote
I got a question about 28 vs 32 hole wheels. Does the 32 spoke count really make the wheel that much more resistant to going out of true? Im a fairly aggressive rider and have only ever owned 32 hole set ups until now.

Bought a nomad and it came with 28 hole wheels and i have destroyed them in a month...

Am i better off buying a completely new 32h set up or is it possible i got unlucky and the wheels were not built up correctly?

wtb i23 asyms on dtswiss 350s. with some searching i found that apparently they are machine built, not by hand. Could that be an issue? Need advice.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 11:51 Quote
g0shj0sh10 wrote:
I got a question about 28 vs 32 hole wheels. Does the 32 spoke count really make the wheel that much more resistant to going out of true? Im a fairly aggressive rider and have only ever owned 32 hole set ups until now.

Bought a nomad and it came with 28 hole wheels and i have destroyed them in a month...

Am i better off buying a completely new 32h set up or is it possible i got unlucky and the wheels were not built up correctly?

wtb i23 asyms on dtswiss 350s. with some searching i found that apparently they are machine built, not by hand. Could that be an issue? Need advice.
32 spoke wheels are much stronger... Notice how a set of deemax wheels are 32 spoke rear and 28 spoke front? there is a reason for that....

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 12:18 Quote
32 spokes more evenly distributes the spoke tension across the wheel. More spokes = better bracing against bends in more places.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 11:22 Quote
Just a Question... It seems almost impossible to find Mavic road rims lately... looking for a set of Open pro's especially in silver or grey and seems like everything has disappeared off the face of the earth... anyone know what's going on...is Mavic getting out of just the road rim game?

just wondering.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 11:34 Quote
Mavic did something with their distributors. I know that we can't get them for customers anymore.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 12:49 Quote
seraph wrote:
Mavic did something with their distributors. I know that we can't get them for customers anymore.

Well looks like either Ambrosio's or H plus Son's then.... hmmm....

Thanks for the heads up.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 13:28 Quote
@stymiecat

Is this what you are looking for?

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 14:08 Quote
stymiecat wrote:
seraph wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

Its because they've cut distributors all our stuff comes direct now

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 14:12 Quote
radatabs wrote:
stymiecat wrote:
seraph wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

Its because they've cut distributors all our stuff comes direct now

IIRC they've always been direct. Never been able to order them from any of our distributors, always direct. Can get them on complete custom wheels from QBP but not on their own.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 14:37 Quote
Barkit wrote:
@stymiecat

Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks Barkit

Yea.. seemed I could only find black and wanted a grey or silver so my next project looked right.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013350
Mobile Version of Website