Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 17:18 Quote
Started my new build, CrazyBike Trend 24"
CrazyBike Trend 24
CrazyBike Trend 24

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 18:18 Quote
Does anyone make a 24" frame with a taper headset?

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 18:33 Quote
Check out Slater. This is their kid bike with. 21” tt.

https://slaterbike.bigcartel.com/product/24-kids-liberation-frame
sherbet wrote:

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 19:22 Quote
Pretty dope, but would not fit.

The oil slick above is pretty rad. Every time I see something like that I wanna build a new bike up.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 19:29 Quote
DMR Sect is 24" and tapered, not sure if frame is sold alone though.

Also Dartmoor 24 Player is tapered. Easier to get too.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 20:12 Quote
ImMattWard wrote:
DMR Sect is 24" and tapered, not sure if frame is sold alone though.

Also Dartmoor 24 Player is tapered. Easier to get too.

The DMR Frame is sold by itself

Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 1:53 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
kwietrick wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Has anyone tried lowering a Yari for a DJ bike? Loads for cheap and they're burly as hell. Reasonably light too.
It'd be as simple as trimming the air shaft and cutting in new threads as far as I can tell.

Annoyingly rockshox have stopped listing axle to crown measurements but a 650b boost Yari at 80mm would be close enough to a 26 inch at 100-110 going by my very rough measurements.

if they sold it as a proper 26" 100mm fork, i would buy a Yari DJ. I run my fork stiff enough that i dont think the fancy charger damper in the Pike is worth the cost, but the burly blacked out chassis and tunable air spring of the Yari would be cool.
Pretty much my thinking. They should bring back the argyle as a MoCo damper in a 26 inch pike chassis, I reckon it's more likely as they already have the tooling and spares for it. Still unlikely...

Also I'm pissed that the new circus has a 15mm axle.

The whole forks thing has definitely f*cked us dj lads over! unless that is of course you have a recent frame with tapered steerer and stuff. im still 24'' wheels and straight steerer over here and im still running a 2012 fox float 36 lowered to 90mm haha!

Back to subject, i've seen many pros now using 27.5 forks lowered to 80mm, sam pilgrim being one of them running a new marz 55 which imo looks dope! only thing i'd consider about lowering a yari because its a 170mm fork i believe, if you lower it to 80mm youll be in its progressive part of damper and rebound settings so it may be hard to set the rebound up, unless you like it springing back fast i suppose and all depends on how much pressure you run them, i had to run my floats fairly high to prevent them bottoming out but it worked in my favour as i like my forks to be quite hard.

i totally agree we need a return of the argyle! i think fox are supposed to be releasing the 831 with a straight 1 1/8 steerer this year but it depends if you have a grand to drop on a fork!

Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 3:21 Quote
Either I'm going to pick up a cheap 26 inch pike and lower it the proper way or I'll get a boost Yari and bodge it down to 100mm.

You can get 26 inch pikes in decent nick for less than £200 +£30 for a 100mm air spring and you pretty much have a pike DJ. I'm surprised people don't do this more as it's much much cheaper than buying a second hand pike DJ. You could even find one for pennies with a chipped stanchion, smooth it off and lower it so it's hidden in inside the fork and won't pass the seals.

Lowering a Yari you'd need to cut the air shaft + tap threads, and probably have to find some way to reduce the volume of the negative air spring so you don't have to run a billion PSI. Heavier weight oil to calm down rebound and you're golden.

If I get a boost fork I can simply use a sleeve to reduce the axle down from 20mm to 15mm as the hubs are the same width. This is the biggest thing for me as I have a nice (brakeless) front wheel I can't convert to 15x100. If I am buying a new fork I can't afford/don't want to buy a new front wheel. If you want to ever run a front brake this wouldn't be an option. Although with the talk for 20mm boost there might be an adapter in the future.

Going by eBay and buysell prices lowering a 26 inch pike would cost ~£230 plus a new front wheel for me. Lowering a Yari would cost pretty much the same, take a bit more work but I could keep my wheel. Either would be miles better than the 32mm rockshox mish mash fork I have at the moment.

I've noticed NS use a 120mm 650b Yari on the soda slope.

Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 11:35 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Either I'm going to pick up a cheap 26 inch pike and lower it the proper way or I'll get a boost Yari and bodge it down to 100mm.

You can get 26 inch pikes in decent nick for less than £200 +£30 for a 100mm air spring and you pretty much have a pike DJ. I'm surprised people don't do this more as it's much much cheaper than buying a second hand pike DJ. You could even find one for pennies with a chipped stanchion, smooth it off and lower it so it's hidden in inside the fork and won't pass the seals.

I've had 4 newer pikes on dirt jumpers, 2 were the pike dj, one was a 160mm RC with a 100mm air spring, and on my ticket right now is a 160mm RT3 with a 100mm air spring. I can't tell a difference in feel. The pike DJ runs a different air spring and modified damper so you can't just raise and lower them willy nilly. I prefer having options. Non pike djs made pike dj are great.

Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 11:55 Quote
Da-Moose wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

I've had 4 newer pikes on dirt jumpers, 2 were the pike dj, one was a 160mm RC with a 100mm air spring, and on my ticket right now is a 160mm RT3 with a 100mm air spring. I can't tell a difference in feel. The pike DJ runs a different air spring and modified damper so you can't just raise and lower them willy nilly. I prefer having options. Non pike djs made pike dj are great.
Nice, did you re-bleed the damper after lowering it or just squish it in?

Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 12:55 Quote
Nope, just squished.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 0:16 Quote
sherbet wrote:
inspired bikes

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 18:23 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
inspired bikes

Isn't that a trials frame?

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 19:01 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
inspired bikes

Isn't that a trials frame?
Yeah. But its a 24 inch frame with a tapered headtube.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 19:04 Quote
You know what thread we're in, yeah?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.053663
Mobile Version of Website