Powered by Outside

The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 13:06 Quote
Hi everyone. Quick Question (see what I did there)

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo Carbon - I need new headset bearings. For this frame, the bearings are pressed straight into the frame. Has anyone done a headset change on this frame / other Specialized frames? The shop wants £60 for just the bearings!!!! That's just too much. Especially when I usually buy 'expensive' industrial drilling bearings for wheels and headsets as they last longer, a lot smoother, and cost about £25 a set.

Does anyone have the part number of the actual product? Has anyone put a different headset in? Any and all help appreciated Smile

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 13:19 Quote
ajh4446 wrote:

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo Carbon - I need new headset bearings. For this frame, the bearings are pressed straight into the frame. Has anyone done a headset change on this frame / other Specialized frames? The shop wants £60 for just the bearings!!!! That's just too much. Especially when I usually buy 'expensive' industrial drilling bearings for wheels and headsets as they last longer, a lot smoother, and cost about £25 a set.

Does anyone have the part number of the actual product? Has anyone put a different headset in? Any and all help appreciated Smile
If they're sealed bearings you might be able to find the bearing designation on the seals. Otherwise you could see if the shop could tell you, as douchey as that might be.

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 13:22 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
ajh4446 wrote:

If they're sealed bearings you might be able to find the bearing designation on the seals. Otherwise you could see if the shop could tell you, as douchey as that might be.

I've already tried the douchey way I hate to say it. Only got the product code. The bearings have an angle on them on one side, so looking to see if people have found a route around to this problem Smile

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 13:25 Quote
ajh4446 wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
ajh4446 wrote:

I've already tried the douchey way I hate to say it. Only got the product code. The bearings have an angle on them on one side, so looking to see if people have found a route around to this problem Smile
They're just angular contact bearings with a 45* angle. Got any dimensions of it? ID, OD and thickness?

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 19:41 Quote
ajh4446 wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
ajh4446 wrote:

it's an integrated headset, good luck finding those bearings through an industrial supplier.

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 23:31 Quote
Will a 20mm reduction in fork travel given the a2c heights are the same be a noticible difference in feel? Specifically going from 180 26" to 160 27.5" forks.

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 3:20 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Will a 20mm reduction in fork travel given the a2c heights are the same be a noticible difference in feel? Specifically going from 180 26" to 160 27.5" forks.

Not really no, just run the high speed compression a bit stiffer and you shouldn't notice much, what sort of riding are you doing and what forks?

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 3:38 Quote
Well, itll feel stiffer with anyway with correct sag, and obviously sag less so will ride higher anyway, might give a bit of an unbalanced feeling depending on rear travel and bike set up

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 3:43 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
Well, itll feel stiffer with anyway with correct sag, and obviously sag less so will ride higher anyway, might give a bit of an unbalanced feeling depending on rear travel and bike set up

Truth

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 7:20 Quote
Currently have fox talas 180. Would be upgrading to marzocchi 350ncr ti mmm. On mojo hd

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 7:36 Quote
Is that a question? If so, try using the English language. Most people speak it here.

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 7:36 Quote
Hi guys. I'm looking at ordering a 2015 hornet to replace my blue pig.

This one:
http://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/frames/hornet

I'm not 100% sure on what headset I need for a straight steerer fork.

Any help?

Also if budgets a factor then cheap as possible Wink

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 7:45 Quote
Dartmoor blink, 26bikes.com, 39euro

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 7:46 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Currently have fox talas 180. Would be upgrading to marzocchi 350ncr ti mmm. On mojo hd

Nice choice of fork. The new marzocchis feel amazing.

The a2c on the 350 is 557 mm and 565 mm on the 180 mm talas. So there's only 8 mm difference, which I would guess is around 1/3 of a degree change in head angle. So it's probably not gonna be a noticeable difference unless you're really senstitive about your setup.

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 7:57 Quote
Damn ratty can't help you with the headset then, I have a ZS 44

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028727
Mobile Version of Website