Powered by Outside

The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 13:14 Quote
Now guys. Looking at upgrading the shock in my Giant. It's awkward as it's a bloody 184x44 shock (rockshox proprietary wank size).

My question is would running a 190 shock with a few more mm sag be ok? The linkage can move enough to accommodate so that isn't an issue.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 14:46 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
Now guys. Looking at upgrading the shock in my Giant. It's awkward as it's a bloody 184x44 shock (rockshox proprietary wank size).

My question is would running a 190 shock with a few more mm sag be ok? The linkage can move enough to accommodate so that isn't an issue.

I would buy whatever has the same stroke and then compensate for the length with offset bushings.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 15:44 Quote
J-Carmichael wrote:
rAtty-c wrote:

I would buy whatever has the same stroke and then compensate for the length with offset bushings.

^ This

Just make sure it will clear at bottom out. If you get a 190 x 50 mm shock and put offset bushings in it, it will be maybe 185 x 50, so make sure the linkage wont bottom out before the shock, that's how you break a frame Smile

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 1:12 Quote
Ok thanks guys. I've done a dry run with an old dhx5 that's 190x50 and the frame doesn't touch at full compression so I think I will be looking at getting a new shock now!

Salute

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 12:25 Quote
If you're wanting some offset bushings - you can get them from www.offsetbushings.com

I run the business and every set is made to order. So we can produce them for any bike! We also supply DU bushes so if you need them too.

Hope that helps!

Jeron

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 1:40 Quote
Someone help me out, having some serious indecision issues. Currently on a 26" rune with two years worth of tyres lying around the shed and a f*cked 5-year old lyrik.
I did think about buying a new pike/350cr which would let me go to 650B in the future (and cost me twice as much as a 2013 lyrik), but the bike won't get converted over for at least another year or two.
What should I go for, futureproofing or just stick to another 26" fork for now?

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 3:00 Quote
I'm having the exact same dilemma.

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 3:11 Quote
Get the 2013 lyrik. By the time you're converting pikes will be cheaper.

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 7:31 Quote
Anybody here running a short cage x9 type 2 with a 12-40 cassette?

I want to buy one of these range extenders but can't afford to change out my derailleur. Will I be able to get away with it?

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 7:36 Quote
Iffy used a Zee with a 11-40, as far I remember SRAM have a bigger tolerance

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 8:36 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:

perfect answer

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 13:14 Quote
Where can I get a 300lb vivid 5.1 spring? Shock size is 8.5x2.5

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 16:44 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
inked-up-metalhead wrote:

perfect answer

I'm thinking this is the way to go, thanks guys!

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 3:54 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:

I want to buy one of these range extenders but can't afford to change out my derailleur. Will I be able to get away with it?

It'll work, I've ran a short cage X0 and a short cage X9 with an 11-42t and it was fine.
You'll need a longer limit screw, M4x20 from memory.

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 7:58 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
rAtty-c wrote:

It'll work, I've ran a short cage X0 and a short cage X9 with an 11-42t and it was fine.
You'll need a longer limit screw, M4x20 from memory.

I think it may work for a short term solution but don't be surprised if you blow out the derailleur. just start saving for the inevitable replacement.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.057665
Mobile Version of Website