Powered by Outside

Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
Parsurf wrote:
Most bikes now are great, get one that’s in stock.

I can drive 2 hours and get a carbon or order online and trust delivery for an alloy (would probably get them to hold it to the NY).
Assuming I talk myself into the purchase before either sell out that is.
Tough decision.

O+
Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
diggery wrote:
Parsurf wrote:
Most bikes now are great, get one that’s in stock.

I can drive 2 hours and get a carbon or order online and trust delivery for an alloy (would probably get them to hold it to the NY).
Assuming I talk myself into the purchase before either sell out that is.
Tough decision.

Get the carbon. It's real nice. You'll want the lighter weight in the end if you're coming from a 30lb 2016 model year bike...

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
diggery wrote:
The Spire has caught my eye. I've got a day off, an itchy credit card and found one in stock within a drive so dropping in for a chat and some opinions to see if I should do it!

I currently own a 2016 Patrol Carbon, 160mm Pikes, 165mm cranks with XT. Just over 30lbs.
It's a great bike with a few niggles and coming on Spring I'll have had it 6 years and fancy a change but only if it's worth it.

Patrol feels a little like it hooks up on some things, at 6' the 457 reach is on the smaller side for modern bikes and it has awful chain slap. Some reviews mention this. I'm not a fan of the under BB cables that snag. Seat post hits the rocker pivot so I can't slam a 180, even One Up.

I also had to do a fork swap to fit another bike and ended up with a very short steerer and no spacers. The front end is too low. I could get a 35mm rise bar, or, you know, spend 100x that on a new bike Smile

I like to ride lots of fast rocky terrain with a fairly direct style (smash rather than pop), as well as some slightly smoother stuff but mostly natural. A mix of winch and plummet DH mixed in with 3-4 hour trail rides with big techy climbs to get to the 2-3 minute descents. The odd uplift day or bike park with push up. UK based so not massive hills and very few easy smooth climbs.

Spire XT is pretty much my perfect built with XT, DT Swiss and One Up. I'm more Maxxis than Schwabe but that's it - rare to find a build that matches my preferences so well.

A couple of questions
- Reviews say the 170 Spire rides like a 150. Why not just get a 150? What does 170 give me in real world or should I get the Sentinel (other options are a Bronson or Nukeproof Giga but no stock).
- Value is hard to judge but is the nearly 2lbs carbon weight saving worth £1100? I like to do the odd big day hike a bike. I have a burly hardtail for razzing or longer rides.
- Anyone know what size post is on the Large? 180?
- Is it quiet? I can't stand the LOUD chain slap on the Patrol, it's smothered in inner tube.

Anything else?!

180mm dropper in my Size Large Alloy from Cycle Addicts in Rochdale.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 14:06 Quote
Bruiser, winch and plummet, shuttle, park, alloy would probably be fine

Any thought of long all day rides I would want to loose some fat on the bike.

People always be like, “take a dump before you ride” I’m all like “take a dump before I ride” and have a two pound lighter bike…

Weight isn’t really everything but why carry around all the extra if you don’t have too?

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
My large came with a 180, I put a slammed 210 one up on it. 33/34” inseam. It’s just right

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
mlambert223 wrote:

Cheers!
I checked them out earlier, closer to me too. They only have a medium Spire in GX now though. Not many in stock.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 14:20 Quote
Thanks Parsurf.

Yup, I hate the 'take a dump line' when it's still an option with carbon too! I also don't do many 2lb dumps.

I have a 180 post on my hardtail with a 460mm seat tube / 170 cranks, so in theory I could fit a 210 on the Spire with the 430 seat tube and 165 cranks. Good to know it slams in the frame - my 150 reverb only just clears in the Patrol and I've love the extra 60mm or so max drop if at all possible. Well useful for jump/uplift days.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
Not full slam, just as far as it will go and still function.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 15:07 Quote
Same on my HT. Good to know. Even if I keep the 180 and have it 10-15mm out it'll be 40-50mm lower than the Reverb on my Patrol.

Looks like the Spire can run mullet in high if I wanted too? I have a spare back wheel I could hang on to and convert to boost just for fun.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
People talk about it, I ran into a guy running it on a alloy, he liked it. I think for me that would be crazy slack and put the bb pretty low. Personally if I wanted a mullet I would 100% go new patrol.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 15:28 Quote
I love my '16 Patrol on 27.5.
Main reason I am considering the Spire is it feels like a substantial change. I appreciate the new mullet Patrol is several generations newer than my trusty Patrol but it's a Patrol - a change to the Spire would feel like a much more worthwhile change. Maybe strange but true. Plus, stock.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
You should probably buy it before it’s gone

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 22:12 Quote
diggery wrote:
mlambert223 wrote:

Cheers!
I checked them out earlier, closer to me too. They only have a medium Spire in GX now though. Not many in stock.

The have a large raw frame in stock but I guess you are looking for a complete build?

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 0:30 Quote
I did look at frames as I usually do this, my only full build bike I've had in the last 20 years was my road bike!

I've found a frame kit with Zebs but with supply of parts as it is I might not get it built. Worst case I could get wheels and strip my Patrol, which I think would sell easier as a full bike.

I watched a stream where Lars is asked which model to buy and he says 'The one in stock!'.

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 1:39 Quote
Yeah same here on usually buying frame only and building up but as you say the XT complete build is dialled for the price plus parts availability for a build is limited.

Liking mine so far but I'm only 2 rides in. Think I'll be over your way at Wharncliffe tomorrow for a spin.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014054
Mobile Version of Website