photo crit thread

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
photo crit thread
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 16:34 Quote
[Quote="Brasher"]This used to be my Job (photography) but magazines all but died thanks to the internet and social media. I've moved industries. Was good to pick up the old Canon again and take some snaps of my new DH rig.

C&C welcome.

Brasher,

Those are some fantastic shots, nothing to criticize!

I am a part time professional photographer and don't generally use Photo Shop for anything besides practical adjustments and tweaks, so go easy on me, but C&C is welcome. I was recently bored and tried my hand at this composite with humorous intentions. You can see my more serious work here, www.gillenphoto.com

Shot during the Rocky Mountain Race Series final at Purgatory Mountain Bike Park in 2018. The rider narrowly escaped being eaten and celebrated with a bottle of tequila The ridiculous edit was just for fun when Jose had asked if I had gotten any shots of him during the race I wanted to send him this.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
After shooting dirtjump and 4x for some years, I want to try to take more pics in the forests.
What do you guys think?
photo
photo
Though I usually find myself not wanting to stop when blasting down a nice trail.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 17:02 Quote
Fireflies wrote:
After shooting dirtjump and 4x for some years, I want to try to take more pics in the forests.
What do you guys think?

photo
Though I usually find myself not wanting to stop when blasting down a nice trail.

I really like the composition of the second one, great job!

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 7:14 Quote
Whatcha ya'll think...?
It s called the Sunset open space for a reason... Dave closing down the place before the next snow storm.
It's called the "Sunset" open space for a reason... Dave closing down the place before the next snow storm.

photo

After a long winter spring is here. 2wheeledwestley spring shredding Green River UT.
After a long winter, spring is here. @2wheeledwestley spring shredding Green River, UT.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
This is amazing.... lol lol
Curtis-Gillen wrote:

Shot during the Rocky Mountain Race Series final at Purgatory Mountain Bike Park in 2018. The rider narrowly escaped being eaten and celebrated with a bottle of tequila The ridiculous edit was just for fun when Jose had asked if I had gotten any shots of him during the race I wanted to send him this.

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
[Quote="scottcodyphoto"]This is amazing.... lol lol
[Quote="Curtis-Gillen"]

Its hilarious anyway, the photos you posted above are amazing! I especially like the last of the three! You're killing it

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 20:10 Quote
timwestwood wrote:
photo

Composition:
I like what you're trying to do with the framing of the tree in the foreground to try to create depth. But I think the tree is either too close or the rider is too close to the tree. With a wide angle using the ole "tree in the foreground" trick to create depth doesn't work as well as with a telephoto that compresses the frame. Also there is something that isn't working with all the negative space around him. Maybe it's because everything else has so much detail and is still in relative focus that it's not bringing my eye back to the rider. Also because of how tall and straight those trees are it's just making my eye wanting to go up and down in the frame.

TL;DR Comp: Crop it in a bit and/or blur some of that background. In the future use that wide angle to get closer to your rider, also watch out for the tree out of the head. “If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.”-Robert Capa

Lighting:
Rider definitely needs some more light on him. Having that black shirt and other dark riding gear doesn't help separate him from the background. Also having the brightest part of the frame be just off to the rider's left and up to the right doesn't help. Whatever post you did to the next photo definitely helps as it separates your values better. Right now it's a bit "flat" where most of the values are in the middle (if you looked at a histogram it'd probably be mostly a big lump in the middle). Also darken that foreground tree on the left.

TL;DR Lighting: Dodge your rider, burn the light to the left of him and the foreground tree. Do whatever post you did on the next photo on this one.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 20:13 Quote
scottcodyphoto wrote:
This is amazing.... lol lol
Curtis-Gillen wrote:

Needs some yeti.
photo

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 8:59 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
timwestwood wrote:
photo

Composition:
I like what you're trying to do with the framing of the tree in the foreground to try to create depth. But I think the tree is either too close or the rider is too close to the tree. With a wide angle using the ole "tree in the foreground" trick to create depth doesn't work as well as with a telephoto that compresses the frame. Also there is something that isn't working with all the negative space around him. Maybe it's because everything else has so much detail and is still in relative focus that it's not bringing my eye back to the rider. Also because of how tall and straight those trees are it's just making my eye wanting to go up and down in the frame.

TL;DR Comp: Crop it in a bit and/or blur some of that background. In the future use that wide angle to get closer to your rider, also watch out for the tree out of the head. “If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.”-Robert Capa

Lighting:
Rider definitely needs some more light on him. Having that black shirt and other dark riding gear doesn't help separate him from the background. Also having the brightest part of the frame be just off to the rider's left and up to the right doesn't help. Whatever post you did to the next photo definitely helps as it separates your values better. Right now it's a bit "flat" where most of the values are in the middle (if you looked at a histogram it'd probably be mostly a big lump in the middle). Also darken that foreground tree on the left.

TL;DR Lighting: Dodge your rider, burn the light to the left of him and the foreground tree. Do whatever post you did on the next photo on this one.

Cheers dude for the tips. I did try an re edit but can't agree more i need a telephoto lens only really shoot a 16mm f1.4

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 22:14 Quote
Hell yeah, definitely looks better!

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:20 Quote
timwestwood wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
timwestwood wrote:
photo

Composition:

Lighting:

Cheers dude for the tips. I did try an re edit but can't agree more i need a telephoto lens only really shoot a 16mm f1.4

photo

@timwestwood try cropping the original photo in a landscape orientation. There's a lot of unneeded information on the top and bottom. I get you are trying to make the trees look tall, but like NorCalNomad said it distracts your eye.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028523
Mobile Version of Website