Powered by Outside

2018 RM Altitude

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Altitude
Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
Has anyone put an angle set on a 2018 Altitude. I'm thinking of combing the steeper seat tube angles of the with a -1 or -1.5 angleset.

I'd like to hear anyone's experiences with trying this.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
ashwinearl wrote:
Has anyone put an angle set on a 2018 Altitude. I'm thinking of combing the steeper seat tube angles of the with a -1 or -1.5 angleset.

Personally I'd go straight for -1.5 if not -2; It's what I'm running on my 18 Instinct and it's great.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 13:22 Quote
Keep in mind that a bit steeper seat tube and a bit slacker steerer tube will mean a bit shorter reach. This can be balanced out somewhat with a longer stem and/or slide your seat back, but just something to be aware of. But yeah, anglesets are usually a great payoff!

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
I have a -1 geo set and it’s nice. I run a 150mm fork and pos3 (it’s a fair amount more travel along than described). I’m tempted to run a 160mm fork.

I think with 150 fork and -1 in pos 3…then I’m at roughly 64.7degree HTA. The caveat with the -1 is that both headset cups are zero stack rather than an external cup. That with some high rise bars has been nice.

Sometimes I wonder if a longer bike would be better tho but it’s definitely a fun ride.

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 10:05 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
ashwinearl wrote:

Personally I'd go straight for -1.5 if not -2; It's what I'm running on my 18 Instinct and it's great.

Just follow-up.
-I put a -1 Works angle set. From the https://geo.syn.bike/ geo calculator, it seems to work out to just -0.7 degrees. It does impact reach (reducing) which I actually like. I have very short torso, longer arms. Lately, I've been into the RAD approach for fitting. It's not for everyone, but currently I like it. So shorter reach has been good.

I did notice slight improvement in overall stability, w/o hurting the agility of the bike. I like that the seat tube angle is relatively preserved with angle set. This is something I never liked about the Ride 9 and going between groupings.

My favorite Ride9 has always been 6. Also 9.

I am going to try a -1.5 next. The one drawback for me might be increase in stack.

This whole thing has me thinking of looking for other "older bikes" in the 2018, 2019 year before the push to the longer reaches took place. I do like this longer front center/slacker head angles, emphasis on weight distribution, and steeper seat tubes on the latest geometries. It is just the incredibly longer reaches that has me scared to put money down.

I am thinking that an older bike with as steep a seat tube as was available at the time and an angle set and maybe longer fork could achieve 'modernization' w/o the really long reach? Been looking at 2019 Sight, Mach 5.5 or similar.

Posted: Jun 1, 2024 at 16:57 Quote
Can anyone tell me whether this fork will be compatible with the 2018 RM altitude? Thanks

Fox 36 FIT GRIP2 27.5" Fork - Factory Series, Model Year 2022
1.5" Tapered Steerer, 160mm Travel, 15x110 Boost TA, 44mm Offset (Black)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.263923
Mobile Version of Website