Powered by Outside

Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: Nov 22, 2023 at 7:19 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
Solid tires always feel so terrible. By design, it greatly reduces or even eliminates all of the qualities that make a good tire, pressure control, rolling resistance, supple ride feel, etc. There’s a positive feedback to the ride quality of a pneumatic tire, which is enhanced with thinner and higher TPI casings. This helps you feel things in a way that you can’t with thicker rubber.

I'm starting to realise this now.

I looked up a few and various reviews on those Tannus tyres.

Mostly negative > postive, and cons > pros.

I'm thinking of upgrading to tubeless Mavics when I have extra income.

Can't find anyone to do a photoshop, but going to take the risk and get tan walled cotton Turbos for the Starley soon.

Hopefully tan walled tyres shall suit the bike. If not, I'll remove and get a refund.

Posted: Nov 22, 2023 at 8:22 Quote
I will say, as a dedicated disciple to Big Tubeless, with none of my bikes featuring tubes on a good day, road tubeless is an enormous pain in the ass. Even with an air compressor in my house, I still dread having to screw around with it.

Posted: Nov 22, 2023 at 8:30 Quote
Thank you Chris (if I remember your name).

Yeah, I've read similar, but wanted to save more weight.

I'll have my Super Team wheels for a while anyway, so have plenty of time to decide.

I could buy TPU innertubes if needed, to save weight with tubed wheels.

Right now, it's just a rear light for evening rides, and I can can get more rides in.

Wheels are a future upgrade.

Posted: Nov 22, 2023 at 8:40 Quote
mace-the-amazing wrote:
Curious of opinions on these airless tyres?

Thinking about getting some soon, but shall stick to tubed tyres if people have good reasons not to invest.

Cheers.

---

https://www.tannus.co.uk/collections/airless-tyres

---

photo

I'd rather walk...

I'm really sensitive to tire performance and my riding experience is highly dependent upon me being confident in my tires. Those are heavy and feel dead, which are both deal breakers for me.

If you're looking for longevity and puncture protection, stick with gatorskins... they're still heavy and don't feel great, but they're worlds better than solid core tires.

Posted: Nov 22, 2023 at 9:06 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I'd rather walk...

I'm really sensitive to tire performance and my riding experience is highly dependent upon me being confident in my tires. Those are heavy and feel dead, which are both deal breakers for me.

If you're looking for longevity and puncture protection, stick with gatorskins... they're still heavy and don't feel great, but they're worlds better than solid core tires.

I assumed you wouldn't be a fan Troy.

Yeah, as I said further up, people's online reviews said they're awful > good, and more cons than pros to them, so I changed my mind.

I know Gatorskins, as seen lots of fixed gear riders use them,

I'm riding short rides for now, so shall stick to Turbo's. It was more for this coming spring and summer, as I plan on longer rides.

I've been building up my leg stamina this year as the Starley was built in August.

I'll probably go for Corsa's or cotton Turbo's before spring. I like the Specialized Turbo. I've ridden in the damp on them, and they're pretty grippy.

Posted: Nov 23, 2023 at 8:35 Quote
Seems it was my light being undercharged which most likely caused it to deactivate on rides.

Charged the light for 2 hours last night, and it stayed powered up on my ride earlier.

Will still upgrade to one of those suggested lights later on, regardless.

Front light is fine. Bright. Long lasting batter etc.

Posted: Nov 24, 2023 at 8:25 Quote
mace-the-amazing wrote:
Can't find anyone to do a photoshop, but going to take the risk and get tan walled cotton Turbos for the Starley soon.

Hopefully tan walled tyres shall suit the bike. If not, I'll remove and get a refund.

Tan walls make most bikes look better in my opinion. I think you’ll like it! There used to be a performance advantage at one point, before they figured out how to dye the sidewalls black. All high end racing tires used to be tubular (sew-ups) and only had rubber wrapped around the top, leaving a thin, lightweight, natural casing. Black tires were obviously just fully coated with rubber and a lot heavier duty.

Posted: Nov 24, 2023 at 8:29 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
mace-the-amazing wrote:

Tan walls make most bikes look better in my opinion. I think you’ll like it! There used to be a performance advantage at one point, before they figured out how to die the sidewalls black. All high end racing tires used to be tubular (sew-ups) and only had rubber wrapped around the top, leaving a thin, lightweight, natural casing. Black tires were obviously just fully coated with rubber and a lot heavier duty.

Yeah. I've been seeing lots of modern road bikes in black/stealth with tan-walls and they suit the bikes, so I'll definitely look into getting a pair of tyres soon.

And I know about the vintage bikes having tan-walls. I still dig vintage road bikes. I have several albums on my FB I upload of various bikes which I find on FB.

Vintage, fixed, modern road, CX.

Posted: Nov 26, 2023 at 23:48 Quote
They only look better when kept clean imo.

I'm a fan in general.

Posted: Nov 28, 2023 at 15:29 Quote
memento-mori wrote:

I'm a fan in general.

+1 to that ^^^

What's everyone running for tires? Anything aside from the usual Vittoria or Conti choices? Been pretty happy with the performance of the N.Ext tires but Vittoria just trades off longevity for road feel a bit too much for me, I'm lucky if I get 1000 miles from a rear tire. Probably just gonna go back to running GP5k's but would be down to try some other options if they're well regarded.

Posted: Nov 28, 2023 at 18:18 Quote
I have a pair of Specialized S-Works Turbo RapidAir on my crit bike. A little pricey, but man are they great tires (sorry Mace - "tyres" Smile )

Posted: Nov 28, 2023 at 20:45 Quote
I’ve always had good luck with Panaracer made tires. Excellent road feel and decent longevity.

If I was you, I’d pick up a pair of 28c Chinook Pass tires in Extralight casing and call it a day!

Posted: Nov 29, 2023 at 0:42 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
memento-mori wrote:

I'm a fan in general.

+1 to that ^^^

What's everyone running for tires? Anything aside from the usual Vittoria or Conti choices? Been pretty happy with the performance of the N.Ext tires but Vittoria just trades off longevity for road feel a bit too much for me, I'm lucky if I get 1000 miles from a rear tire. Probably just gonna go back to running GP5k's but would be down to try some other options if they're well regarded.

Too much torque you got there bud!

I get one season out of my Vittoria Corsa's which usually means around 7000/8000km.

Posted: Dec 10, 2023 at 12:15 Quote
BBLB and Mori - I assume you ride like this?

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=728000178836502

I wish I had those skills.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019980
Mobile Version of Website