Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Best 7 inch mini DH bike?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Best 7 inch mini DH bike?
Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 6:15 Quote
louiscritchie wrote:
That is one sick looking bike! I've never seen a Voltage FR that looks that good before. Props tup

@louiscritchie Thanks, dude! You are the first one to say that, btw)

@TOPICSTARTER

Hope you will make the right decision and you wont regret it. No matter what bike you ll buy in the end.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 9:26 Quote
Rippinp1 wrote:
louiscritchie wrote:
A Reign SX with lowered 40's...? Interesting.
The Norco Truax looks sick, it's a shame they're recalling it. I definetely would have considered it for next year's ride.
my experience with norco is with a bike mechanic in a shop that sold the truax and an sx trail and he said after working on the truax that the sx was a waaay better bike in the way it was built because norco is fsr just like spec
I don't really understand the message you're trying to convey

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 17:01 Quote
louiscritchie wrote:
Rippinp1 wrote:
louiscritchie wrote:
A Reign SX with lowered 40's...? Interesting.
The Norco Truax looks sick, it's a shame they're recalling it. I definetely would have considered it for next year's ride.
my experience with norco is with a bike mechanic in a shop that sold the truax and an sx trail and he said after working on the truax that the sx was a waaay better bike in the way it was built because norco is fsr just like spec
I don't really understand the message you're trying to convey
Norcos use FSR suspension just like specialized because they pay specialized to use it, but the mechanics who work on them say that the sx trail is built better and feels better to ride than the truax, because that shop that sells the bike has both the sx, shore, and truax in the shop

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 19:28 Quote
I guess I'm looking for something that I can pedal and ride some steeps and rock gardens. I have been on a hard tail for years and ride lots of resorts. I just need a little extra squish. Anyone have or rode a Truax? Faith or sx trail?

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 20:08 Quote
FAITH!!!...

Kurt Sorge rode crankworks on one... Thats about as clos to a HT as you can get with a 7" bike. Haha

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 20:46 Quote
I agree. The faith has all the goods of a hardtail but none of the bad stuff. The sx is a totally different animal in that it is more dh focused. They basically took the demo 7 and made it more playful and more pedalable. I rode the sx and the thing makes fast feel normal. It is probably, in my opinion, one of the most forgiving bikes on the market. I think, if you like the feel of a hardtail the faith is a logical progression, but if you want a bike that can do a little more tech stuff but sacrifices flickability for just crazy flow then the sx is your thing. I personally like the sx more after riding both because the thing is made for drops, berms, roots, rocks, and float tracks with jumps in and out of berms, roller doubles and stuff like that. I found on the faith it was like a giant stp but with endless suspension. The difference is, riding the sx is like driving a monster truck. You can do anything and the bike never complains, but the faith is like a freakin dirt bike. You jump over everything and you can do as much but it is a little more work but LORD was it fun.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 21:39 Quote
I find the faith to be exactly what it looks like, a shorter travel glory...

super snappy and responsive but with suspension that tracks really well

Posted: Sep 2, 2011 at 18:38 Quote
Nobble wrote:

Ya it's deffinately a fun one, I rode it like last week

Posted: Sep 2, 2011 at 21:50 Quote
Rippinp1 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

I find maestro to ride really unusually, it pedals well, but it initally feels a little choppy in the rough, which you dislike until you realize that it is actually tracking incredibly. the rear wheel is glued to the ground.

the amount of traction is INSANE

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 at 12:00 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Rippinp1 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

I find maestro to ride really unusually, it pedals well, but it initally feels a little choppy in the rough, which you dislike until you realize that it is actually tracking incredibly. the rear wheel is glued to the ground.

the amount of traction is INSANE
Totally agree. I rode mammoth on it and mammoth has almost no grip whatsoever and it really hugged the rocks

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 at 16:15 Quote
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=RK-2hWLEGnU

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 12:54 Quote
My bb looks like its cracking so it looks like i may be getting one of these bikes sooner than I thought

Posted: Sep 6, 2011 at 18:13 Quote
I am looking for the exact same thing and recently started a thread on MTBR w/ lots of great advice: http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/lightest-fr-bike-capable-resort-dh-wont-break-me-uphills-729688.html

I have a V10 as my resort DH rig but it's not pedalable at 43 lbs so I'm looking for a 33lbish mini-dh bike. LOVED the SX trail and it jumped really well, but I need to demo others like the Reign, 250, and Canfield Candiggle.

Based on the geometry, the Transition TR250 with a head tube angle of 64-65 will have a "plow and go" feel while the SX at 65.5 is slightly more FRish. The Reign X has a head tube angle of 67 making it the most like a long legged XC bike. The Canfield has a 64 with an 8 inch DH fork or a 66 degree angle with a 7 inch.

Check out the post on MTBR and they're are even more choices to confuse you Beer

Posted: Sep 16, 2011 at 8:51 Quote
Just to add to your mental dilemma of picking between so many bikes... really consider the kona entourage. I came from a similar situation as you, riding a smaller travel bike really aggressively then bumping up to something slack and low. It was a pretty easy transition to the entourage.
The bike is super, super fun, really stable, playful and amazing in the corners. The thing corners on rails and pops off everything when you want it too.
Out of the bikes i've seen you post about it is also the most affordable. I got the lower dollar version and so far all of the parts have been great, the domain is a little heavy but its super plush and thats what really matters. you might wanna change the pedals out though. For a big bike it doesn't pedal terrible either, you wont be riding up anything steep but it will pedal most other places.
Don't listen to kona haters, the entourage is not like the kona's of old, give it a try!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025234
Mobile Version of Website