Powered by Outside

SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 14:26 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
Here's mine with some '16 36 160's i borrowed Big Grin , i thought they would be too much, but they ride wickedly and the handlings not changed at all, it even jumps further than with the Pikes
photo

@SoCalMX ,not sure if you can compare to yours but i can get some new '15 34 Trail Adjust Talas 160- 130 at a very good price, what do you think ?
I too would stick to 150 max. I believe the trail adjust 34 can be lowered, not too sure on how they perform?

Here is my latest with the XT 11 speed drive set up.

photo

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 16:50 Quote
dartmoor-shine wrote:
How's it ride with 160mm front does it drop the BB to much ??
It's a bit higher, and the front is too (obviously), but it feels sturdier and cornering doesn't seem much different,
i have a nobby nic on the back , and it drifts beautifully in the mud.
I was getting some DVO's but i'm unsure now, and yes 160 is overkilllol

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 16:51 Quote
SoCalMX wrote:

photo
Sick Drool

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 21:36 Quote
SoCalMX wrote:
pigman65 wrote:
Here's mine with some '16 36 160's i borrowed Big Grin , i thought they would be too much, but they ride wickedly and the handlings not changed at all, it even jumps further than with the Pikes
photo

@SoCalMX ,not sure if you can compare to yours but i can get some new '15 34 Trail Adjust Talas 160- 130 at a very good price, what do you think ?
I too would stick to 150 max. I believe the trail adjust 34 can be lowered, not too sure on how they perform?

photo

Yea I would not go past 150mm. My thoughts are if you wanted a 160 bike then the patrol would have been a better option.

If you think you may blow through the travel then you may want to revaluate your setup. For example I prefer my forks to be setup in the middle sag range to keep it a tad plusher and less harsh over repeated hits (root beds) and to me it feels better on loose turns. But one thing I noticed that under hard braking I would blow through a lot of travel and loose some traction. I would also bottom some jump to flats that were not big at all but my fork should be able to take it without bottoming. So this next riding season I am adding 3 orange and 1 blue air spacer to my 36. I am hoping this lets me keep the same air pressure but allows me to run less hsc which should keep the repeated root hits less harsh but keep me from bottoming out easily. I am going to run a little more lsc to assist with brake dive and pedaling. The fork may even ride higher as well but I will have to measure.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 3:42 Quote
Just speaking to Mojo, one of their guys runs a 36 150 with a X2 upgraded can on the back , uses it for DH !

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 3:57 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
Just speaking to Mojo, one of their guys runs a 36 150 with a X2 upgraded can on the back , uses it for DH !
Hardcore!

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 6:16 Quote
pigman65 wrote:

Where would you get an X2 for a Scout? Fox doesn't make one in the correct dimensions.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 6:46 Quote
That's what I thought on the X2, don't make it in shorter sizes. Might there be a conversion for the standard Float DPS?

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 15:12 Quote
SoCalMX wrote:
That's what I thought on the X2, don't make it in shorter sizes. Might there be a conversion for the standard Float DPS?
No idea, they probably made it.
Edit, i'm certain he said X2, i'll find out.
Re edit , yeah it's a 190x50 Float X with Evol can , got X2 on the brain , that's all Patrol and Capra owners talk about Smile

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 4:04 Quote
so... i have a patrol on order but am thinking its going to be a bit of overkill for my local trails, so am leaning more towards the scout but. From time to time maybe twice every couple of months i will do an uplift day so my question to you scout owners is.

has anybody ridden it in a bike park

and how did it fair up

help me please !!!!!!!!!

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 5:09 Quote
Can't say that I've actually ridden it on true DH trails, but my local trails have a few nasty, rooty, very steep chutes and it does very well. Honestly, I've never felt the bike bottom out. Ever. Although the travel ring on the shock says otherwise.

To clarify I've got a 150mm Pike instead of the usual 140mm fork so that may help some. The Scout feels like it has more travel than any of the 160mm bikes I've had in the past. The small bump is more inline with an SX Trail I owned that ran a coil. It's that plush.

My intent is like yours though and I will use my Scout for park duty when that time of year rolls around. I say Scout FTW.

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 5:17 Quote
mbc4386 wrote:
Can't say that I've actually ridden it on true DH trails, but my local trails have a few nasty, rooty, very steep chutes and it does very well. Honestly, I've never felt the bike bottom out. Ever. Although the travel ring on the shock says otherwise.

To clarify I've got a 150mm Pike instead of the usual 140mm fork so that may help some. The Scout feels like it has more travel than any of the 160mm bikes I've had in the past. The small bump is more inline with an SX Trail I owned that ran a coil. It's that plush.

My intent is like yours though and I will use my Scout for park duty when that time of year rolls around. I say Scout FTW.

Cheers my pikes are 160 atm so going to get them lowered to 150 for charging

FL
Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 23:07 Quote
dartmoor-shine wrote:
so... i have a patrol on order but am thinking its going to be a bit of overkill for my local trails, so am leaning more towards the scout but. From time to time maybe twice every couple of months i will do an uplift day so my question to you scout owners is.

and how did it fair up

help me please !!!!!!!!!

I have ridden mine at Bikepark Wales a few times, doing red runs with the odd small black section thrown in and the bike handles it no problem. And I would say I am an average rider, so under someone more skilled it would probably go faster and further!

I also have done a few red runs in Tignes in the French Alps, again, without issue.

I bought a scout with a similar mindset, I rather have a bike that suits 90% of my riding, than have to lug something overkill around the trails.

Oh and I will be taking it to Morzine/Les Gets this year and I have little worry of it not performing!

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 3:07 Quote
dartmoor-shine wrote:

and how did it fair up

help me please !!!!!!!!!
Took my 170 Capra to bike park Wales yesterday, I was pining for my Scout , it is just more fun , probably wouldn't do the blacks on it as they are proper gnarly , but then again I walk a few of the features there anyway

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 4:27 Quote
dartmoor-shine wrote:

and how did it fair up

help me please !!!!!!!!!

took mine to north star in Tahoe - it faired very well, no problems on the jump lines (other than the rider) of course on the choppy stuff more suspension can help but if your not racing then you have nothing to worry about. the bike responds well to adding in spacers into the shocks, it really comes alive on the steeps. plus it gives you room to get a proper DH bike some day Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029002
Mobile Version of Website