Powered by Outside

NEW DH BIKE : Peregrine DH 26"

PB Forum :: Downhill
NEW DH BIKE : Peregrine DH 26"
Posted: Jun 9, 2016 at 18:35 Quote
Yeah, the sizes have gone longer to what most are running now days. Right now we are getting our jigs parts machined and set up while making progress on the Pinion frames.

Thinking of making the 6.5" travel bike convertible to 4 or 4.5" by just swapping to a different size shock. Thus eliminating the need for different frames and cheap for the consumer to have the option.

Also, we can make geometry adjustable by different size dog bone linkages to either raise the BB and steepen the HA or vise versa.

Posted: Jun 10, 2016 at 1:45 Quote
Peregrinebikes wrote:
Yeah, the sizes have gone longer to what most are running now days. Right now we are getting our jigs parts machined and set up while making progress on the Pinion frames.

Thinking of making the 6.5" travel bike convertible to 4 or 4.5" by just swapping to a different size shock. Thus eliminating the need for different frames and cheap for the consumer to have the option.

Also, we can make geometry adjustable by different size dog bone linkages to either raise the BB and steepen the HA or vise versa.

All you'd need is a spacer for one end of the shock, to decrease travel, customers could choose to limit the stroke of their shock at a service interval and then install the relevant spacer, maintaining geometry.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 17:00 Quote
Correct. On the Pinions we are building up, we use the same linkage but a different shock stroke will produce 165mm of travel and with a slightly longer stroke we acheive 203mm. We simply just change the location of the front mount for each bike.

Or we can use a shock shuttle and allow one frame to do both. The shuttle would allow a slight geometry change on the BB height and HA to accomadate the different setups.

We will see how end up wanting to deal with it.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 18:44 Quote
Wow! Looks amazing, wish I was in the market for a DH ride!

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 12:28 Quote
Thanks! Right now we have All Mtn and DH frames designed and ready to build.

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 12:57 Quote
Peregrinebikes wrote:
Thanks! Right now we have All Mtn and DH frames designed and ready to build.

Sick! Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 7:26 Quote
Hi all,

I've been following this thread for months now and finally decided to get a DH frame and give it a go. We talked the technical and financial details with @Peregrinebikes and it is all set now. I am waiting for my frame to be shipped and will hopefully get it in a couple weeks (I live on the other side of this planet unfortunatelySmile ).

Here are the build specs:

Peregrine DH 26" frame w/Cane Creek headset, custom chain roller and Azonic Recoil rear axle
Cane Creek DB Coil rear shock (8.75x2.75)
Marzocchi 380 C2R2 Titanium forks
Shimano Zee drivetrain and brakes (will upgrade the brakes when I have the budget)
e*13 BashGuard
Sun Ringle A.D.D. Expert wheels
Maxxis Minion tyres
Pro FRS handlebars, DM stem, seatpost and Vanderham saddle+grips

I am excited about this. Will post lots of photos and a review later. Maybe some videos also.

Wink

Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 1:39 Quote
Loving the new Pinion frames and wanting to follow the progress.

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 13:59 Quote
Just finished building up my Peregrine Bikes all mountain/enduro bike last week and took it on a couple of rides and thought I'd share my first impressions with you all. I'll be focusing primarily on the bike's drivetrain, suspension, and geometry, which all set it apart from any other bike on the market.

My frame has a pinion 12 speed gearbox which so far has been absolute gold. There's three things I really like about the pinion and how the Peregrine utilizes it. The first is simply the shifting. You can shift without pedaling and you can easily shift multiple gears all at once so when you come around a corner or out of a rock garden into a steep ascent, you can easily change into the correct gear whereas on a standard derailleur drive train, you would have to frantically shift gears as you start the ascent which is not only frustrating but a lot slower as well. The second thing I like most about this drivetrain setup is that there isn't any noticeable chain slap. This mainly comes down to the way the chain is routed which doesn't produce mush chain growth coupled with a very tight custom chain tensioner. My previous bike had a brand new xt clutch derailleur which is a great, stiff derailleur, but still when I bunny hop or hit a chunky section, the chain sounds like it's going to rattle my bike to pieces and often comes off or skips gears. This leads to the third thing I love about the drivetrain setup which is that it is super solid, that is I wont ever skip gears or derail my chain, no matter how hard I torque it. I guess it is a little too early to say "never," but In the few rides I've taken the bike on, the drivetrain just feels so solid that I am confident it wont ever happen, and certainly not with the frequency of a derailleur drive train. This really helps give me confidence when really pedaling hard on the downhills without the fear of skipping a gear which aways used to be in the back of my head slowing me down. The only real downside to the pinion system is that you cant shift up a gear while pedaling, which doesn't really bother me because you can shift beforehand without pedaling if you are descending (which is way better), plus I always put in a hard stroke then back off when shifting anyway to help the chain move up, and this isn't really any different. The shifts are so quick that you don't really need to let off for more than a fraction of a second. The system is so good that it will be hard to ride a derailleur drivetrain ever again.

Moving on to the suspension, the high pivot definitely makes the ride less harsh than a typical suspension linkage. It's hard to put into words, but in my experience so far, I keep bracing for impacts (such as big, awkward rocks) but I never really feel the jolt I'm expecting. The rearward axle path seems to actually soak up the blow instead of just cushioning you from it. On top of that, the suspension characteristics very good. The bike is progressive, but not overly so. The beginning of the stroke is nice and soft and then it ramps up to give you a bottomless feeling. The progressive suspension combined with the rearward axle path makes for a very stable bike. The back end is planted (im talking about 300 year old oak tree with extensive root system planted.) It doesn't really move about like I have experienced on every other bike I've ridden.

The last thing I wanted to touch on is geometry. I'm honestly not too picky about geometry numbers, different geometries make sense for different riding purposes. But being that this bike has 165mm of rear travel, I am really happy with the low and slack (65 degree Ht angle) geometry this bike provides. It makes the bike even more stable and urges me to push harder and harder. It also allows you to ride steep, gnarly terrain with ease. The only thing I was concerned about was the seat tube angle. The seat tube angle is a little on the step side, and I was worried that the seat was going to get in the way when I was descending, but it didn't. This really surprised me because my seat tube still needs to be cut a little bit, and I have never felt comfortable descending with a seat any higher than the minimum setting. So it turned out that my big concern ended up being a plus. Even if I didn't like how the seat tube angle felt, I could just run an offset seatpost to fix it.

My last concern was cornering ability. Since it is a high pivot and the chain stays grow under compression, I worried that the bike wouldn't corner very well, but I was completely wrong. The bike just seems to dig into the corners. A lot of this probably comes from my 2.7 minion in the front and 2.5 high roller in the rear, but I thing a lot of it also has to do with the stability the rear end has. When cornering on a vertical wheel path bike, the back end will break traction easier if it gets kicked up by a small bump such as a rock or even just uneven terrain. This bike's rear tire stays planted meaning that your tire will hold to the ground better. And lets be honest, no one should ever doubt a high pivot's cornering ability after Reece Potter's Queenstown edit.

Sorry for the long "essay," but I know there are a lot of people following this bike and it's downhill counterpart and I just wanted to share my first impressions with those people. Overall, It's by far the best bike I've ever ridden. It's different than any other bike in the sense that it fixes problems that hold other bikes back. It is stable, planted, solid, uber fast, and so much fun to ride. Ill be posting more about the bike in the future, hope you enjoyed this "article"!
Peregrine
Peregrine
Peregrine

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 21:45 Quote
Awesome in depth review. You seemed to explain the characteristics of the ride really well. Any word on how it climbed?

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 3:34 Quote
Please make a Pinion equipped ht, preferably in steel!

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 7:46 Quote
Yeah sorry I meant to put something about that but forgot. Im coming off of a stumpjumper FSR and sx trail, the stumpjumper being a great climber and the sx being a bear to climb. A part of this is weight but it mostly comes down to how the suspension acts while climbing. The stumpjumper does not bob much wheras the sx bobs through what feels like 1/3 or so of its remaining travel after sag which eats up energy. For whatever reason, the high pivot resists bob while pedaling and you cant feel any movement in the suspension at all when propedal is switched on. Also as I mentioned in my review the seat tube angle is on the steeper side which really helps put you in a good climbing position. I've only climbed it twice, but so far it feels similar to my stumpjumper while climbing despite the weight difference between the two. Another thing to note about climbing this bike vs. my stumpjumper is gearing. The pinion has 600 percent range which feels just like my old 3x10 setup without all the downsides, whereas now on my stumpjumper im maxed out with 32t front and 36t rear. A common theme nowdays in the bike industry seems to be tailoring suspension so that they resist bob at sag but in most cases this eats away at small bump sensitivity. The magic of the high pivot is that it only resists when you are pedaling, keeping the suspension active when you want it to be.

FL
Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 10:30 Quote
What size is your's?
I am also curious how it jumps.
Build specs?

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 22:24 Quote
steveowens bike

photo

mtbflowrider's bike

Peregrine

Same driveway? Mates or brothers maybe? It's the same garage.......

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.034733
Mobile Version of Website