Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 11:00 Quote
Richt2000 wrote:
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
I had a chance to use the Onza Ibex tyres in the wet for the first time at the weekend, a warning to others is even at 25 psi they don't like wet roots, think oil on polished metal, no grip, however they were fine in the dry although the rear was a bit on the draggy side,

My solution is a Magic Mary up front and a Racing Ralph on the rear but it is down to personal preference.

Just wanted to give folk a heads up before they end up hugging a tree on their first greasy ride out, bike is still brilliant so far.

Agree - very much summer dry tyres. Lost the front end a wet root last week!

I'm putting a Magic Mary up front and a Nobby Nic 2.35 Trailstar on the rear...

I was going to do the same so I ordered a Nobby Nic 2.35 Performance for the rear just in case the RR isn't grippy enough,

I know the Performance version is pretty poor for the front end but I figured it would roll well enough on the rear.

What model did you go for? Any thoughts on it to date?

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 12:36 Quote
Is the rear brake on the jeffsy a 180 post mount? (same as the capra). I've got an Al comp2 on order and I'm planning on swapping the xt's straight out for hope tech3's.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 13:09 Quote
RockNRolla92 wrote:
Is the rear brake on the jeffsy a 180 post mount? (same as the capra). I've got an Al comp2 on order and I'm planning on swapping the xt's straight out for hope tech3's.

I will need to check when I get home but i'm sure it has 180PM on the brake side of the seat-stay.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 15:10 Quote
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
Richt2000 wrote:
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
I had a chance to use the Onza Ibex tyres in the wet for the first time at the weekend, a warning to others is even at 25 psi they don't like wet roots, think oil on polished metal, no grip, however they were fine in the dry although the rear was a bit on the draggy side,

My solution is a Magic Mary up front and a Racing Ralph on the rear but it is down to personal preference.

Just wanted to give folk a heads up before they end up hugging a tree on their first greasy ride out, bike is still brilliant so far.

Agree - very much summer dry tyres. Lost the front end a wet root last week!

I'm putting a Magic Mary up front and a Nobby Nic 2.35 Trailstar on the rear...

I was going to do the same so I ordered a Nobby Nic 2.35 Performance for the rear just in case the RR isn't grippy enough,

I know the Performance version is pretty poor for the front end but I figured it would roll well enough on the rear.

What model did you go for? Any thoughts on it to date?

Went for the Pro. Love everything about it apart from the saddle.

I'm between sizes and went for the L (rather than an XL) and find it very nimble and chuckable. Currently trying a 150mm pike (51mm offset) from my nukeproof mega 290 on it and really liking it, extra 16mm axle to crown heigh slackens it out to about 66 degrees, and that and the 51mm offset increases the wheelbase 1/2" which seems to add noticable stability at very high speed down hill.

Main thought to date is it is easily the best 29er I've ridden. And I've owned a lot, and demoed even more :-)

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 5:50 Quote
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
YT Jeffsy amp YT Capra

Capra and Jeffsy together make the Capra look like a BMX,

The saddle has to be changed but the one that came with the Jeffsy was like a razor covered in plastic,

first ride was on a flat (ish) trail, I was doubtful I would get on with a 29er but having been the same about 27.5 I thought I would give it a go as the trails I ride every other day are too tame to do the Capra justice,

firstly, nothing in my opinion corners like a 26" wheeled bike, but the Jeffsy is a rocket, unbelievably quick and with the lockout on both the fork and shock it climbs like a hardtail,

I took it through a rock garden and a section of rocky trail and the wheels and suspension dealt with it well,

I will give it a proper test at the weekend but so far it is more of a trail bike than the Capra although I still love the way the Capra rides.

What size are your Capra and Jeffsy and what size are you if you don't mind me asking, sat on a medium and large at Fort Bill and still trying to make my mind up

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 7:22 Quote
alanme wrote:
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
YT Jeffsy amp YT Capra

The saddle has to be changed but the one that came with the Jeffsy was like a razor covered in plastic,

first ride was on a flat (ish) trail, I was doubtful I would get on with a 29er but having been the same about 27.5 I thought I would give it a go as the trails I ride every other day are too tame to do the Capra justice,

firstly, nothing in my opinion corners like a 26" wheeled bike, but the Jeffsy is a rocket, unbelievably quick and with the lockout on both the fork and shock it climbs like a hardtail,

I took it through a rock garden and a section of rocky trail and the wheels and suspension dealt with it well,

I will give it a proper test at the weekend but so far it is more of a trail bike than the Capra although I still love the way the Capra rides.

What size are your Capra and Jeffsy and what size are you if you don't mind me asking, sat on a medium and large at Fort Bill and still trying to make my mind up

Both size Large, I am 6' 1" but long legged compared to my torso (34" inner leg).

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 7:27 Quote
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
alanme wrote:
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
YT Jeffsy amp YT Capra

Both size Large, I am 6' 1" but long legged compared to my torso (34" inner leg).

I'm about that height with those leg measurements and I've been wondering what size to get when I manage to collect enough money to get one of these beauty's! I was wondering about an xl but I have come to the conclusion that I need a large

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 8:15 Quote
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:

Exactly. Ibex has problems not only on wet roots, but on wet anything - it slides on rocks even with a hint of moisture, accumulates mud like crazy. On dry it's a great (not the best though) tire. For wet conditions I find DHR pretty solid.

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 8:20 Quote
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
alanme wrote:
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
YT Jeffsy amp YT Capra

Thanks I am 5'9" with 32 1/2 inner leg, currently on a large Transition scout that has the same wheelbase as the large Jeffsy but with longer reach, prob go large with a short stem

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 10:26 Quote
For my height and long legs I found the Capra an unbelievable fit, like it was made to measure, the first ride on the Jeffsy felt good but gave me a sore lower back, I moved the saddle back and it seems to have worked. I can't wait to get an extra long dropper on both though so I can get the saddle out of the way when down (check photo for incredibly high droppers).

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 10:33 Quote
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
For my height and long legs I found the Capra an unbelievable fit, like it was made to measure, the first ride on the Jeffsy felt good but gave me a sore lower back, I moved the saddle back and it seems to have worked. I can't wait to get an extra long dropper on both though so I can get the saddle out of the way when down (check photo for incredibly high droppers).

Have u ridden an xl Capra or Jeffsy?

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 14:03 Quote
Scottydotteril wrote:
photo

How are the shifters/brakes/dropper lever connected ? I noticed on the 2x shimano models they have a matchmaker type mount. Swapping the brakes out for hopes so trying to work out what else I need to make sure everything still mounts to the bars

Posted: Jun 15, 2016 at 0:06 Quote
Richt2000 wrote:
Main thought to date is it is easily the best 29er I've ridden. And I've owned a lot, and demoed even more :-)

Thanks for the feedback. Do you mind going into a bit more detail about what your comparing it too?

Posted: Jun 15, 2016 at 0:51 Quote
sam14thomas wrote:
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:

I haven't but I wouldn't change anything regarding sizing on the Capra Large.

Posted: Jun 15, 2016 at 1:18 Quote
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
sam14thomas wrote:
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:

I haven't but I wouldn't change anything regarding sizing on the Capra Large.

Cool! Thanks for the reply

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.035333
Mobile Version of Website