2018 RM Instinct

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Instinct
FL
Posted: Dec 28, 2018 at 15:53 Quote
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:
I am hoping to demo an in stock RM Instinct im the coming weeks with intent on pulling the trigfer on this a Rallon or maybe a Ripmo. Just love the fact l can run 2 size wheels with the Instinct.

Does anyone know if they have updates to the line for ‘19 coming soon or maybe RM doesn’t go by annual update.

The only thing that has changed are wheels and brakes. RM dumped Stans for Raceface and the SRAM brakes are changed over for Shimano

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 11:34 Quote
Pamlico wrote:
My mistake. Went back and watched it again. Was a Thunderbolt BC. 27.5 x 2.8 worked great according to the shop.

I’m running 2.6 on my Instinct BC and its fine

Did anyone tried 27.5X2.6 on the instinct BC?
Will be interesting to see how it handles and if it's not too low.
Thanks!

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 12:20 Quote
27.5x2.6 will work fine an an Altitude. Not sure about on an Instinct BC, but 2.8-3.0 would make the outer diameter of the tire closer to a standard 29er. Instinct BC runs 29x2.5, so 27.5x2.6 will be smaller.

FL
Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
Question for Instinct BC owners - how much sag are you running on the shock? I'm at 32% - curious if anyone's tried less and how it felt?

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 14:36 Quote
I'm putting a 160 lyric on my 140/140 Alum RC instinct 2018. Do I need to switch the ride 9 to the slack setting? From what i've ready with a 160 fork that where it should be? or can i still just keep it in the neutral?

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 19:32 Quote
Has anyone tried running a 44mm offset fork on the Instinct?

I’m very interested in testing out a RM Instinct BC along with the Process 153CR, and Ripmo. I’m 6ft, about 270 with gear and as a bigger guy l’be found most 29ers I’ve rode in the past (51mm and higher) experience a bit more understeering and think maybe the 44mm could be an answer.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 2:08 Quote
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:

I’m very interested in testing out a RM Instinct BC along with the Process 153CR, and Ripmo. I’m 6ft, about 270 with gear and as a bigger guy l’be found most 29ers I’ve rode in the past (51mm and higher) experience a bit more understeering and think maybe the 44mm could be an answer.

yeah, I have mine with Fox 36, 160mm, 44mm offset.
It's not that much different, love how the 160mm handles the bike, made it more plush and really works with 140mm in the back.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 9:24 Quote
Stenimir wrote:
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:

It's not that much different, love how the 160mm handles the bike, made it more plush and really works with 140mm in the back.

As a taller guy (I'm 6-4), the RipMo has the better geometry for sure. I LOVE my custom 140/150 Instinct as I put a lot of love into my first custom build (before Ripmo came out) but regardless, the Ripmo geo is better. The reach is where it needs to be but still isn't superduper long. The STA is great too for those steep climbs but still not ultra steep either so its cramped seated. You can kind of squeek out similar geo on the Rocky, but once you up the fork to 150 or 160, the reach gets even shorter, the STA gets even slacker and the BB gets a bit taller than I need with my 175mm cranks in PNW. It's all still awesome but better is better even if its somewhat incremental.

Now, the Ripmo prob is the wrong bike for you at your weight. Its got an odd suspension progression that def blows through travel if you are a hard rider. At 270 I wouldn't want that suspension issue and maxing the air PSI out and stuffing tokens isn't a good thing. SB130/SB150, Offering, new Jeffsy, Ferrazi La Sal Peak (this is a sweet bike for price) are worth a look too.

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 17:50 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
Stenimir wrote:
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:

As a taller guy (I'm 6-4), the RipMo has the better geometry for sure. I LOVE my custom 140/150 Instinct as I put a lot of love into my first custom build (before Ripmo came out) but regardless, the Ripmo geo is better. The reach is where it needs to be but still isn't superduper long. The STA is great too for those steep climbs but still not ultra steep either so its cramped seated. You can kind of squeek out similar geo on the Rocky, but once you up the fork to 150 or 160, the reach gets even shorter, the STA gets even slacker and the BB gets a bit taller than I need with my 175mm cranks in PNW. It's all still awesome but better is better even if its somewhat incremental.

Now, the Ripmo prob is the wrong bike for you at your weight. Its got an odd suspension progression that def blows through travel if you are a hard rider. At 270 I wouldn't want that suspension issue and maxing the air PSI out and stuffing tokens isn't a good thing. SB130/SB150, Offering, new Jeffsy, Ferrazi La Sal Peak (this is a sweet bike for price) are worth a look too.

@Svinyard, that’s all great info to go on..thanks. I have a feeling most DW link bikes would be similar to the Ripmo; never tried an Evil yet. Best riding bike l demod last year was the Mach 6 strangely it just worked but l want a 29er that’s not as extreme as the Firebird.

How does the RM Instinct go thru its travel in comparison to the Ripmo? Hoping to hop over one in Feb but that rear triangle does look very small for a guy my size; l am kinda intrigued with Kona’s burly frames. I like the idea of the RM instinxt BC versatility or may look at the Following. I crossed the Rallon off for the stand over is too high for me and my stumpy 30 inseam.

I’d love to build up a closeout Kona 27.5 and then in a year or so add something like Commencal 29er. I did see a YouTube video of someone who built up a Process 153 29er with the 27.5 frame so I’m just torn right now. I’ll def look at the Following and

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:
Svinyard wrote:
Stenimir wrote:

@Svinyard, that’s all great info to go on..thanks. I have a feeling most DW link bikes would be similar to the Ripmo; never tried an Evil yet. Best riding bike l demod last year was the Mach 6 strangely it just worked but l want a 29er that’s not as extreme as the Firebird.

How does the RM Instinct go thru its travel in comparison to the Ripmo? Hoping to hop over one in Feb but that rear triangle does look very small for a guy my size; l am kinda intrigued with Kona’s burly frames. I like the idea of the RM instinxt BC versatility or may look at the Following. I crossed the Rallon off for the stand over is too high for me and my stumpy 30 inseam.

I’d love to build up a closeout Kona 27.5 and then in a year or so add something like Commencal 29er. I did see a YouTube video of someone who built up a Process 153 29er with the 27.5 frame so I’m just torn right now. I’ll def look at the Following and

I'm not super heavy and nor do I ride ultra hard so don't smash a ripmo. The suspension going through its travel more so than normal is a known thing, but only to guys who really rip it. At your weight tho, I'm pretty sure you could bump into that issue. Fwiw that DPX2 shock (I have on my Instinct) is going to need a custom rebound tune for your weight 110%. The rebound is over damped slightly for me at 190lbs. Fwiw the DWLink design is amazing and the best for an all-around, do everything mid travel bike. For the ripmo tho, they changed the progression rate to something that works well for the trail-esk riders (most of us mortals) but not a super ripping enduro rider. For instance the other Ibis bikes don't really have that issue nor do Pivots.

I def don't have issues on my 140mm Instinct with travel being blown through. Even EWS guy Jesse Malemed rides this bike with the 140mm rear end and an insane 170mm fork, loves it, tho he is like 5-10 I think. Its got a nice progression rate and pedals well and isn't super plush which makes it a poppy ride that I love. The Evil Offering will be more plush than Instinct or Ripmo from what I've heard. Its a DH focused suspension with lots of progression but apparently a blast. Those bikes are always a tank weight wise tho, and I want the pedal friendly nature of an Instinct or Ripmo for sure. Evil is a funny company

That being said, the Instinct is neat for a tall guy not Enduro racing because its in-between the short bikes of a couple years ago like Hightower/SB5.5/Switchblade and the longer bikes like SB130/Ripmo/Offering/La Sal/Jeffsy. I can't claim to be an expert but I like to think its more fun and for a fact is lighter (my XL with DPX2/Fox36grip2 is 29lbs with 2.5 minions and thats awesome). I saw Rat boys new Cannondale 29er. He is 6-2 and riding a tiny medium framed 130mm 29er with 27.5 wheels on it and spacers under highrise bars with a jacked up 160mm fork. That dude is having more fun than everyone, guaranteed. So I waffle between thinking the longer reach bikes like Yeti/Ripmo/Offering are better for us tall guys and conversely thinking if you aren't Enduro racing, that stuff is a hindrance to the fun factor of jibbing around a trail and jumping over stuff and throwing mini-whips. Everything is a give and take and 29ers already give up a bit of the nimble stuff by nature of the wheel. So who knows. The right answer is just go invest in Demo's (get a real ride in on each bike) and then go with the one that "Sparks the Most Joy" (this japanese lady is taking over America lol).

Again I love my damn bike, like a lot. I am that guy that obsesses over geo charts and new bikes on PB too so the whole "grass is greener gets to me once in a while". Take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
What shocks are people running on their 140mm "Mini BC".

Curious to learn more about people who are running a bigger fork and aggressive shock on the regular instinct. Anyone coil it up?

Does a beefy 140mm Instinct really climb that much better than a BC? Even with the slacker seat tube?

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
pdon wrote:
What shocks are people running on their 140mm "Mini BC".

Curious to learn more about people who are running a bigger fork and aggressive shock on the regular instinct. Anyone coil it up?

Does a beefy 140mm Instinct really climb that much better than a BC? Even with the slacker seat tube?

140mm DPX2 on my Mini-BC. Fox 36grip2 at 150mm up front. Its bad ass.

That being said, I chatted with Jesse Malemed who races this bike in the EWS for Rocky. He has now switched from the 155mm shock to a Mini-Mega-BC. 140mm X2 in the rear (I think its X2) and a full on 170mm Fox 36 grip2 up front lol. Said he loves it. When I asked him about the BB height being and issue he said "non-issue". Regardless the 140mm has always been the sweetheart bike out of the 3.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:10 Quote
Thats super cool man. I am about ready to pull the trigger and do a similar build.

Have you considered a coil on that puppy? Or are you thinking it may not be progressive enough? Or maybe your just an air spring guy.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
pdon wrote:
Thats super cool man. I am about ready to pull the trigger and do a similar build.

Have you considered a coil on that puppy? Or are you thinking it may not be progressive enough? Or maybe your just an air spring guy.

Dunno, I'm not a super hard/talented rider. DPX2 does pretty good for what I'm using it for. I haven't spent much time on a coil tho so maybe I'm missing out? I don't find the bike to blow through its travel for me at least, I think the coil would function well in that regard.

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 11:06 Quote
Hi all. Can anyone confirm that the stock BC edition comes with a 51mm offset? I have a friend building one up and he was hoping to run the same offset as the stock bike. Thanks.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.040461
Mobile Version of Website