Powered by Outside

What’s the worst thing about mountain biking?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What’s the worst thing about mountain biking?
Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 5:54 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:
That is crippling, a mates siss had that and I think died in the end iirc

Nice comforting post for the guy suffering with said disease.

It’s just the way you percieved my post.
I think he’s doing well if he’s getting out that’s all.

Get out much yourself...

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 7:23 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
scoobiemario wrote:
Smell.... of sweaty clothes.
I can wash them and no matter what I do they end up with that inglorious smell right after I put them on

Wash them right away when you get home, and use fabric softener that smells nice. If you let them stew for a day or two then the stench isn't going anywhere.
Washing in cold water is best to remove nasty BO smellWink

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 20:42 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
Knowing that there is never a perfect do it all setup. Like it or not there is no such thing as the “do it all quiver killer”.

Never say never. The new Cannondale Jekyll and canyon strive both have a good thing going for them

As for me - it's the yuppies.

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 23:59 Quote
[Quote="

As for me - it's the yuppies.[/Quote]

Good answer for most "worst thing about" threads.

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 0:13 Quote
What’s the definition of a mtb yuppie though???

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 8:28 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:

Big suit, slick haircut, shouting into a mobile phone, Filofax or briefcase, on a bike.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 5:21 Quote
That sure sounds difficult to accomplish whilst riding a mtb

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 8:31 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
The cost.

Yeah this is certainly the worst thing. Mountain biking is amazing but the costs associated are insane. It's impossible to get into the sport without committing thousands of dollars. My winter ski hobby is a small fraction of what it costs to mountain bike regularly in the spring/summer.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 8:58 Quote
[Quote="gbeaks33"]
93EXCivic wrote:
The cost.

Yeah this is certainly the worst thing. Mountain biking is amazing but the costs associated are insane. It's impossible to get into the sport without committing thousands of dollars. My winter ski hobby is a small fraction of what it costs to mountain bike regularly in the spring/summer.[/Quote

It's probably possible to get yourself set up for a fraction of "thousands of dollars". A new helmet is all anyone really needs to worry about, then after that pretty much everything's available on the used market. I admit the thought of wearing used kneepads or body armour isn't that appealing, but then again I've been riding for 15 years and have all my own gear now.

When I started I had a bike and a helmet, then gradually bought new stuff like bike specific shoes, sunglasses, pads, and kit. If you're just wanting to get out riding you can do it in board shorts, trainers and a t-shirt.

Skiing on the other hand requires going on holiday for me, which whilst being lots of fun is quite expensive these days.

I think most would agree that bikes, components and kit are expensive, especially top end stuff. Nobody "needs" top end stuff though, it's just nice to have.

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 9:52 Quote
fielonator wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:

Big suit, slick haircut, shouting into a mobile phone, Filofax or briefcase, on a bike.

This is more of a road bike yuppie thing. Some of those guys are the worst...

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 10:00 Quote
Yeah as seen on the commute in London haha

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 12:33 Quote
or if you work at a bike shop in a nice neighborhood... that sucks

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 12:35 Quote
[Quote="fielonator"]
gbeaks33 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
The cost.

Yeah this is certainly the worst thing. Mountain biking is amazing but the costs associated are insane. It's impossible to get into the sport without committing thousands of dollars. My winter ski hobby is a small fraction of what it costs to mountain bike regularly in the spring/summer.[/Quote

It's probably possible to get yourself set up for a fraction of "thousands of dollars". A new helmet is all anyone really needs to worry about, then after that pretty much everything's available on the used market. I admit the thought of wearing used kneepads or body armour isn't that appealing, but then again I've been riding for 15 years and have all my own gear now.

When I started I had a bike and a helmet, then gradually bought new stuff like bike specific shoes, sunglasses, pads, and kit. If you're just wanting to get out riding you can do it in board shorts, trainers and a t-shirt.

Skiing on the other hand requires going on holiday for me, which whilst being lots of fun is quite expensive these days.

I think most would agree that bikes, components and kit are expensive, especially top end stuff. Nobody "needs" top end stuff though, it's just nice to have.

I suppose, but even the most entry level full suspension bike here in Canada runs around $2k with tax. You can get hardtails cheaper, obviously. But any bike, regardless of cost, is going to break down and need maintenance and parts. A pair of skis and boots can last a decade or more, easily, without any attention at all other than a $10 edging once a year.

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 13:34 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
The cost.

Yeah this is certainly the worst thing. Mountain biking is amazing but the costs associated are insane. It's impossible to get into the sport without committing thousands of dollars. My winter ski hobby is a small fraction of what it costs to mountain bike regularly in the spring/summer.

Bought a Cannondale Trail 5 on closeout for $650 about 4 months ago which has been a piece of crap (destroyed a wheel on a rocky section, bottom bracket constantly creaking a ride or two after cleaning them, a lot of ghost shifting). Then you add probably another $300 or so in equipment (helmet, gloves, knee pads, tools) plus about $150 in small upgrades (bars, stem, grips, pedals) and I have spent over $1000 and I am stuck with this POS bike until I can save a bit more. All that cost more then my daily driven Ford Ranger.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 1.933650
Mobile Version of Website