Powered by Outside

YT Customer Service/Warranty Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
YT Customer Service/Warranty Thread
Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
So, just got a call from YT Canada (American number on caller ID). Apparently they sent my bike to someone else, and sent the other party’s bike to me. New customer. Is this a premonition of what to expect from them?

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
After a short 51-week wait for my warrantied rear end, it's in my hands!

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
lubes17319 wrote:
After a short 51-week wait for my warrantied rear end, it's in my hands!

Holy shit! Glad you got your part. If I'm being honest I don't think that I'd have the patience to deal with that. lol

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 14:14 Quote
awoody wrote:
Just a YT success story to balance out all this bitching and moaning. I have a 2019 Capra AL Comp, shortly after buying it and riding it I noticed a small crack, (almost more of just a thin looking spot which was split) on the bottom of the chainstay yoke adjacent to one of the welding vent holes. Contacted YT and had a new stay sent out and to my house within the week. Returned the suspect piece in the same box. Easy as pie, free of charge to me, they were on top of it.

Never been any problems since, all around a great bike, I've replaced bits and pieces of the e.13 garbage as needed (new dropper, new cassette, new rear wheel). Even still, pretty unreal deal for $3,000.

I certainly understand people's frustration of being stuck waiting on a part and being without a bike, that would suck. But glad to say this was not my YT warranty experience.

Happened again! Exact same issue on the same warrantied part. First time was Oct. 2019 just a few months after I got the bike. Same cracks next to same outgassing hole on the new warrantied chainstay in November 2021 now . Bike is still under warranty and no questions warranty granted, but waiting 8-12 weeks for a new chainstay this time. Yt USA guy claimed that they have fixed this issue one newer chaistays, but not the most confidence inspiring.

Posted: Dec 11, 2021 at 0:00 Quote
I've been bracing myself for a rough time with a warranty issue on my 2019 Jeffsy. I found a little crack on both sides of the front triangle right where the internal cables exit the frame to jump to the rear triangle. This was around April/May of this year. It took YT customer service a good 4 weeks to respond to my initial warranty request (with a little help from their social media team). In the end they allowed me to hold on the frame and keep riding until after the summer as I had noticed that the cracks weren't growing. Email communication typically had a 12-24hr turn around. Eventually I sent in the front triangle mid October and had to wait 4 weeks for the diagnosis. Result: new front triangle. Another 3-ish weeks later and the frame with new front triangle and with a freshly installed BB (charged at 50% labor rate) is on its way back to me. They even checked a very recent paint chip on my seat stay and offered to spot repair it (which I declined, too expensive).

I'm based in Europe, so maybe that helps. I was worried that replacing a 2019 color scheme might be challenging but it seems that its all working ok. All in all I'm pretty happy with the service. The waits were long but besides the initial warranty request they've been speedy to respond to emails and really helpful on checking status updates and answering any questions I have.

Let's hope the new frame stays in one piece longer than the original. I had one of the very first 2019 Carbon Mk2 Jeffsys as I ordered within a few days of its release. My best guess that it was an early production mistake. But who knows!

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 16:23 Quote
Can’t recommend their customer service. Asked them to hold a XL Tues for me today for a week with a deposit and they told me “it was too much of a hassle”. I guess 3 year old design DH bike’s in size XL are flying off the shelves in the middle of winter… I’ll buy a new Canyon instead now. Thanks Kyle @ YT!

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 16:32 Quote
Frontrange wrote:
Can’t recommend their customer service. Asked them to hold a XL Tues for me today for a week with a deposit and they told me “it was too much of a hassle”. I guess 3 year old design DH bike’s in size XL are flying off the shelves in the middle of winter… I’ll buy a new Canyon instead now. Thanks Kyle @ YT!

I wouldn't particularly blame YT for this. Would any other brand hold a bike for you? I can understand if it was an in-person retailer, but a direct to consumer manufacturer really doesn't have any obligation to hold bikes, especially in market conditions like the ones we're in.

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 17:14 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
Frontrange wrote:

I wouldn't particularly blame YT for this. Would any other brand hold a bike for you? I can understand if it was an in-person retailer, but a direct to consumer manufacturer really doesn't have any obligation to hold bikes, especially in market conditions like the ones we're in.

More details then that I guess I didn’t post but yes most all manufacturers/shops I’ve called are willing to hold a bike for 7 days with a 50% non-refundable deposit if I back out. To say it’s a “hassle” sounds like a lazy employee. Especially for a XL DH bike in the middle of winter in the US. I’m not trying to hold the hottest enduro bike on the market lol. It’s a design from 2019 that should have been updated for 2022… I had one then and I know it works for me. They only have a handful of XL’s but based on their size charts I guarantee they don’t sell a single one until spring. Now they can sit on it . I imagine whatever minimum wage employee answering emails doesn’t give a F either though.

FWIW Scott bikes ordered me a Gambler that I didn’t even pay for until it showed up. If I back out of that deal no one else is buying it. It’s much easier for a direct to consumer company to do this vs a local shop. The shop “owns” that inventory as soon as they order it so if I were to back out they would at the very least be screwed on shipping charges. A manufacturer is simply putting the bike aside. If I fall through they still have the bike at their warehouse and keep my deposit.

The truth is DH bikes just don’t sell in the US market, so yeah… a chance at a 50% non refundable deposit for 5 business days seems like a fine proposition.

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 3:42 Quote
to be fair.. if they don't sell well now (any proof?) ... and they won't get anyone else but you within those days.... why not just wait 5 days and buy then?

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
MilkyWayne wrote:
to be fair.. if they don't sell well now (any proof?) ... and they won't get anyone else but you within those days.... why not just wait 5 days and buy then?

No proof at all but it's a 3 year old design and everyone else has come out with revisions or new bikes. DH bikes in the US don't sell very well at all, there's simply not many places that require them. It's so bad no shops in Colorado ever stock them even before things got crazy. The only reason I want one... and it's kinda stupid but I'm going to Canada next summer and DH bikes are super fun at Whistler.

I could most definitely wait until next week, it was more the point of shitty customer service that now makes me uninterested. When I initially emailed them they tried pressuring me into "order ASAP we are only getting two of them!" The real reason I want to wait is I'm getting a rewards credit card in the mail next week and I want the benefits... Not that I don't have the money now. Maybe trivial but also a good test of customer service. Will they have the same attitude if I need warranty replacement parts? What's the real reason why they wouldn't take my deposit and hold it for 5 business days? They know as well as I do they aren't going to sell out. Laziness... Since the bike industry has been so crazy the last few years I've noticed customer service has went down the shitter. I've been riding for 20+ years and between my wife and I we spend at least 20k a year on bikes. I'd say I'm top 10% in speed in Colorado for someone in their late 30's. Regularly podium Expert in the local enduro series even against 20 year olds, and I hold my own in Cat 1 DH although it doesn't really exist anymore so I'm not a chump. Going to Commencal on Monday to check out their new SupremeDH's... I'll probably go Commencal instead of Canyon just because I think I can get one sooner and they are local if I run into issues.

I'll say in the past YT had good customer service. I broke the X2 that came on my 2019 Tues the first weekend I had it and also broke the linkage. They overnighted me a new shock and linkage the next business day. It's disappointing that they don't maintain that level of service anymore.

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
MilkyWayne wrote:
photo

Still there... both large and XL. Large is going to sell out way before XL does.

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 8:22 Quote
Frontrange wrote:
MilkyWayne wrote:
photo

Still there... both large and XL. Large is going to sell out way before XL does.

Yeah but if you're asking for something that might be major work and you're probably the only person throughout a couple of years that wants that service, cause it's maybe not even implemented in their whole system, how should that work out? until they get it implemented or made your whole order including the bank transfer thing manually... those 5 days might be over anyway.. so actually i don't get why that's such a big thing for you

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 9:05 Quote
MilkyWayne wrote:
Frontrange wrote:
MilkyWayne wrote:
photo

Yeah but if you're asking for something that might be major work and you're probably the only person throughout a couple of years that wants that service, cause it's maybe not even implemented in their whole system, how should that work out? until they get it implemented or made your whole order including the bank transfer thing manually... those 5 days might be over anyway.. so actually i don't get why that's such a big thing for you

What? Maybe it’s different in your country. I simply wanted to reserve a bike with a deposit. It’s not a big deal here, especially outside of COVID times. We can disagree, it’s ok. The big deal is a lack (and it wasn’t a big deal) of good customer service. Especially being a direct to consumer company. They’re in the business of selling bikes. I wanted to buy one. They didn’t allow that to happen. I’m ordering a Commencal.

Posted: Dec 20, 2021 at 1:48 Quote
Frontrange wrote:
MilkyWayne wrote:
Frontrange wrote:
photo

What? Maybe it’s different in your country. I simply wanted to reserve a bike with a deposit. It’s not a big deal here, especially outside of COVID times. We can disagree, it’s ok. The big deal is a lack (and it wasn’t a big deal) of good customer service. Especially being a direct to consumer company. They’re in the business of selling bikes. I wanted to buy one. They didn’t allow that to happen. I’m ordering a Commencal.

I think you're being unrealistic with your expectations. If YT doesn't offer to reserve a bike with a deposit and prefers to sell them to customers paying in full, why would they offer it to you? And why would you expect them to make an exception for you? Have you purchased with them before? Are you a super loyal customer?
Honestly, we're in the biggest sellers market in decades. Someone else is probably super happy being able to purchase the bike that you MIGHT have purchased.
Also, why didn't you just buy it outright and return it if you decided to go a different route?

Posted: Dec 20, 2021 at 5:42 Quote
Frontrange wrote:
...there's simply not many places that require them...in Colorado...
Ever hear of Box o' Rocks? :sad:

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023749
Mobile Version of Website