Powered by Outside

Fox X2 Needs to be recalled.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fox X2 Needs to be recalled.
O+
Posted: May 8, 2023 at 9:04 Quote
were those that were replaced all Trunnionmount?

O+
Posted: May 9, 2023 at 7:33 Quote
Mine wasn't trunnion. It came off a SB150.
OJMad wrote:

Posted: May 9, 2023 at 8:51 Quote
I sent mine back a few months ago due to a "zipping" type noise coming from the shock with each compression that has been present since new. They rebuilt it and sent it back and the noise has continued, although the performance of the shock feels really good other than that. The note I got back from the service centre was that it was tested on the dyno after rebuild and no unexpected noise was coming from the shock, despite the zipping noise continuing the first time I rode it again. There must be something up with it though as I have seen reports from others that their shock is completely silent.

I'm considering sending it back again if they are handing out free 2024 shocks though - although I wonder if this is just North America where they are being replaced rather than rebuilt?

Does anyone know if this is all X2 shocks going back to them on warranty are being replaced rather than rebuilt?

Thanks

O+
Posted: May 9, 2023 at 9:07 Quote
sweatyseagull wrote:
I sent mine back a few months ago due to a "zipping" type noise coming from the shock with each compression that has been present since new. They rebuilt it and sent it back and the noise has continued, although the performance of the shock feels really good other than that. The note I got back from the service centre was that it was tested on the dyno after rebuild and no unexpected noise was coming from the shock, despite the zipping noise continuing the first time I rode it again. There must be something up with it though as I have seen reports from others that their shock is completely silent.

I'm considering sending it back again if they are handing out free 2024 shocks though - although I wonder if this is just North America where they are being replaced rather than rebuilt?

Does anyone know if this is all X2 shocks going back to them on warranty are being replaced rather than rebuilt?

Thanks

TBH I don't think any shock or fork is completely silent

Posted: May 9, 2023 at 9:07 Quote
Can you try a different shock on the same frame? Maybe the noise is coming from the frame.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2023 at 11:24 Quote
OJMad wrote:
Regular mount on canyon strive for me.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2023 at 12:23 Quote
sweatyseagull wrote:

Thanks

My shock has the same noise. It's the kashima. Not sure if they have updated how they do it or what. But if you take a soft piece of cloth and rub it on the kashima you'll get the same sound. There's no oil leaking or air leaking, but it's almost like there's a micro etching in the kashima on this newest version.

Posted: May 10, 2023 at 3:31 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
My shock has the same noise. It's the kashima. Not sure if they have updated how they do it or what. But if you take a soft piece of cloth and rub it on the kashima you'll get the same sound. There's no oil leaking or air leaking, but it's almost like there's a micro etching in the kashima on this newest version.

Ah, fair enough then. I'll just consider myself lucky that I got a service on the shock for the price of postage to Fox Smile

Posted: May 10, 2023 at 6:23 Quote
sweatyseagull wrote:

Thanks

Mine came back from Silverfish for a warranty claim for cavitation a couple of weeks ago. New “updated” seals fitted, I didn’t get a 2024 back. I reckon it’ll just be the US direct from Fox getting new shocks. Distributors over here always shaft us (pardon the pun).

O+
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 19:20 Quote
Crazy question: since the whole problem is that air got into the oil, what about using the bleed screw to let the air out without disassembling the shock? Like just put the shock in a vertical orientation, so that the bleed screw is at the high point where bubbles would settle, then crack it a tiny bit and let the air out? For safety, I was thinking I would take most of the pressure out of the IFP chamber, like drop it down to 5 or 10 psi, before attempting this because who knows how much oil you would lose if you mess up at full pressure, it might just be a wd-40 can spraying in your face!

I got this idea because when my bike has been sitting for a day, you can definitely feel that big bubble going through the valves the first couple strokes, prior to the air getting foamed into the oil, so I am pretty sure it is a discrete bubble when it’s been sitting a while.

Ironically, when I called Fox with this idea, they sent me a new 2024 shock instead, so hopefully I will never have to try it. For anyone wondering, the new shocks look exactly like the 2023, although I think the 2-position lever might have a slightly stiffer tune since you can actually feel the difference on the new one.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 17:18 Quote
Add me to the list of getting a free upgrade to a 2024 shock. Local shop handled my warranty even though I got the shock 2nd hand from here. So happy with the result all around. Hopefully whatever update they made, fixes this issue.

Posted: May 16, 2023 at 19:18 Quote
Sent my brand new x2 in.. slurping sound. 2 weeks later they are rebuilding my 2022 with 2024 internals/upgrades or whatever changed. They were going to give me a 2024 but were out of stock.

Posted: May 17, 2023 at 8:50 Quote
How is everyone starting the service process? I thought I would find a link on their website to start filling out information, but all I found was an email that I haven't heard back from lately...

FL
Posted: May 17, 2023 at 8:54 Quote
MRED-mtb wrote:
How is everyone starting the service process? I thought I would find a link on their website to start filling out information, but all I found was an email that I haven't heard back from lately...

https://www.ridefox.com/rarequest.php?m=bike

You have to check the box that asks if its a warranty claim if you want it ti be considered for warranty.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2023 at 8:58 Quote
Just posting to follow this thread. I have two performance X2s that I am suspicious of, both 205x62.5 trunnion specced on Transition Sentinels. One has been used and is about a year old, makes some noise, but the damping adjustments don't seem to do anything. The other is brand new, damping seems to work, but it makes a terrible gurgling sound on rebound.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.290202
Mobile Version of Website